• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Our CPL and why I believe it should be recognized in all 50 states

aadvark

The Federal Congress could compel every State to give Full Faith and Credit to Michigan CPL's, however; The Federal Congress chose not to do so under The Amendment 1618, sponsored by South Dakota Senator John Thune, and was known Officially as an Attachment to Senate Bill 1290, the National Defense Authorization Act of 2010.
The United States Constitution Full Faith and Credit Clause can be found under Article VI, Section 1 of The United States Constitution.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip......... . I believe the laws should be the same as per the 2a and that if I am entering a federal facility there should be a place to secure my weapon just like they do for visiting LEO's.....just sayin.

Presume that you do not agree with being disarmed in/on federal facilities and are simply saying there should be a place to secure them on premises.

Often wondered about potential LEO exception or special privilege regarding federal facilities - military bases, federal buildings et al. Do you have a cite?

TheQ

Many people here continue to discuss the Full Faith and Credit portion of the Constitution... Read the first paragraph of Wikipedia on the topic (emphasis added):

Full Faith and Credit Clause, the familiar name used to refer to Article IV, Section 1 of the United States Constitution, addresses the duties that states within the United States have to respect the "public acts, records, and judicial proceedings" of other states. According to the Supreme Court, there is a difference between the credit owed to laws (i.e. legislative measures and common law) as compared to the credit owed to judgments.[1] Judgments are generally entitled to greater respect than laws, in other states.[2] At present, it is widely agreed that this Clause of the Constitution has little impact on a court's choice of law decision,[3] although this Clause of the Constitution was once interpreted differently.[4]

Please consider this before continuing your Full Faith and Credit arguments.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
Many people here continue to discuss the Full Faith and Credit portion of the Constitution... Read the first paragraph of Wikipedia on the topic (emphasis added):

Please consider this before continuing your Full Faith and Credit arguments.

If this is the case, and I had a judgement from a Michigan Court that I could carry a pistol concealed upon my person, would another state need to honor that?

SlowDog

Years ago I used to carry <Stuff> for the Gov. to & from Nuclear Sub Bases and had a mossberg 12 gauge in a bracket up against the dash. When entering the facilities I would stow said weapon in a locker at the main gate and retrieve same as I left. It was very easy going so to speak. Since 9-11 they have become more strict in entering some of the more secure bases. Now I can't have a laptop, cellphone with camera, any and I do mean any type of weapon. Must have special back ground check with picture ID. They search my entire truck and trailer opening all the boxes and hood. So even if I wanted to hide a pistol they'd find it. Not worth the 10-15 years in Leavenworth.

TheQ

If this is the case, and I had a judgement from a Michigan Court that I could carry a pistol concealed upon my person, would another state need to honor that?

This has more to do with civil judgments. Who'd be the defendant in your case?

Tucker6900

Fyi

I believe it will be recognized here come January 1st. So you all are free to come and carry with me in IOWA!

Walt_Kowalski

We need to eliminate all licensing and registration completely.It's all unconstitutional.Repeal the 1968 Gun Control act!

I totally agree! I would also favor the NFA (1934) and FOPA (1986) being Repealed. Being born in the 1970's... I was not able to express my feelings against these unconstitutional laws when they were being enacted. I can now.. and will.

oldbanger

Where I can get in a bind and makes it hard to ALWAYS carry it with me is the ban on any weapons on federal/military installations.

I do not know the rules at every facility but at Mountain Home AFB Idaho you can have a weapon in the vehicle.
mhafb1.jpg

ref - http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy140/oldbanger/mhafb.jpg

http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy140/oldbanger/mhafb2.jpg