• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

By Paul Valone, "Why the NRA is bent on snatching defeat from the jaws of victory"

J.Gleason

Banned
From the article,

"If gun laws were suddenly declared unconstitutional or otherwise repealed, the NRA would be unnecessary. Given the salary and benefits accrued by NRA chief executives, success (and obscurity) is not an option.

According to the 2008 IRS Form 990 for the NRA1, Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre raked in $1,263,101 per year; NRA Institute for Legislative Action EVP Chris Cox made $661,059; Treasurer Wilson Phillips made $649,463; General Operations Executive Director Kayne Robinson benefitted to the tune of $602,608; and last, Secretary Edward Land, Jr. trails the pack with a measly $509,186.

Hmm. Worth remembering the next time you get that desperate appeal for money, no?"

I think this says it all. And just think, if mandatory training is passed here in Wisconsin it will be a whole new money maker, with Gene German in the seat of LaPierre.

Last edited:

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Hmm. Worth remembering the next time you get that desperate appeal for money, no?"

I think this says it all. And just think, if mandatory training is passed here in Wisconsin it will be a whole new money maker, with Gene German in the seat of LaPierre.
What a delic ... ahh, no, delightful ... delightful double entendre for his promotion. Well said.

skipbadger

From the article,

"If gun laws were suddenly declared unconstitutional or otherwise repealed, the NRA would be unnecessary. Given the salary and benefits accrued by NRA chief executives, success (and obscurity) is not an option.

According to the 2008 IRS Form 990 for the NRA1, Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre raked in $1,263,101 per year; NRA Institute for Legislative Action EVP Chris Cox made $661,059; Treasurer Wilson Phillips made $649,463; General Operations Executive Director Kayne Robinson benefitted to the tune of $602,608; and last, Secretary Edward Land, Jr. trails the pack with a measly $509,186.

Isn't that a pretty big IF?

Isn't a statement like this similar to the improbable hypotheticals so often used as opening arguments by those opposing the 2A?

Just asking. Having said all that, I am a member of both the NRA and GRNC, but I give a heck of a lot more money to the GRNC. They are fighting the very good fight here in North Carolina. The NRA? They send me nicer stickers.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Just asking. Having said all that, I am a member of both the NRA and GRNC, but I give a heck of a lot more money to the GRNC. They are fighting the very good fight here in North Carolina. The NRA? They send me nicer stickers.
Be careful and do not tell the story of the whizzing contest with GRNC of some years ago - while I was still in SC and active with GRGRSC.

professor gun

From the article,

How do these salaries compare to those of CEO's from other comparable organizations or businesses? If they are significantly greater then your complaint is valid, if they are similar to other executive positions then you need to explain how this organization can hire competent people at non-competitive salaries.

Are you implying that somehow the fees from training classes are collected by, or somehow end up going to the NRA? That would certainly be a big surprise to the individuals who conduct training classes. What exactly is the source for this conspiracy theory you seem to believe in?

J.Gleason

Banned
How do these salaries compare to those of CEO's from other comparable organizations or businesses? If they are significantly greater then your complaint is valid, if they are similar to other executive positions then you need to explain how this organization can hire competent people at non-competitive salaries.

Are you implying that somehow the fees from training classes are collected by, or somehow end up going to the NRA? That would certainly be a big surprise to the individuals who conduct training classes. What exactly is the source for this conspiracy theory you seem to believe in?

In case you didn't notice the Quotation marks professor, those mean I was quoting directly from the article in which case they are not my words but those of the author.
In stead of riding in the Spartan's chariot otherwise known as the WAVE mobile, you may want to pay more attention to detail rather than a swift fruitless attack.

There is no theory, it is all fact.

B

bhancock

There was absolutely nothing about ANY other 'gun rights' organization that appealed to me until I happened across WCI. From where I am standing it appears to me that the volunteers that run WCI have done way more in the last year than the combined 3-4 millions bucks above. Grassroots is where it is at these days, numbered are the days of big organizations where you are a number and a $ resource. If you call Nik, Hubert, or Auric, that's who you get, not some recorded nonsense and weeks of bureaucracy.

Push, repeal, push, repeal, vote, push, repeal, vote = RIGHTS, Get the idea?

comp45acp

NRA=usless. nuff said.

This is a ridicules statement Springfield. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. While I am displeased with the NRA for their lack of support for open carry in Wisconsin, at the national level they have done a great service to the nation's firearm owners. Were it not for them, I doubt you would right now be able to own more than a double barrel shotgun and then only if you had a "legitimate" need for it. I believe they are a little off track right now. That happens to all organizations from time to time. It will be corrected over time by getting the right board members elected.

This is a ridicules statement Springfield. You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. While I am displeased with the NRA for their lack of support for open carry in Wisconsin, at the national level they have done a great service to the nation's firearm owners. Were it not for them, I doubt you would right now be able to own more than a double barrel shotgun and then only if you had a "legitimate" need for it. I believe they are a little off track right now. That happens to all organizations from time to time. It will be corrected over time by getting the right board members elected.

I am well aware of what the NRA has done in the past. However, in a way similiar to basically all labor unions, they no longer represent your average gun owners. So don't go saying something ridiculous like I don't know what I'm talking about.