Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 27

Thread: Do you own a Remington Model 700?

  1. #1
    Regular Member CUOfficer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    194

    Do you own a Remington Model 700?

    If so, you may want to watch the CNBC investigation about their faulty trigger mechanism......http://www.cnbc.com/id/39759366. The company has known about it for years and wouldn't spend 5.5 cents per gun to fix it when it was first discovered. I don't think I'll be buying any of their products any more!

  2. #2
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by CUOfficer View Post
    If so, you may want to watch the CNBC investigation about their faulty trigger mechanism......http://www.cnbc.com/id/39759366. The company has known about it for years and wouldn't spend 5.5 cents per gun to fix it when it was first discovered. I don't think I'll be buying any of their products any more!
    I own several and have never personally had any issue. Knowing the inside of the mechanism, I do believe it's possible however; and silly that they wouldn't implement the simple design change. That being said, this is just one more reason to follow the rules of firearms safety which don't rely solely on a mechanical device.

    I forget which year they changed it, but the bolt on any of the rifles, that are less than 20 years old or so, can be worked WITHOUT taking the safety off. This was a design change made by Remington to fix some safety issues.

    I won't stop buying model 700's. They are too good to discount because of a trigger issue that's easily fixed by replacing it with an aftermarket one; which most of mine have anyway.

    If anyone has used model 700's (preferably short action) they feel the need to part with because of this problem, please PM me!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  3. #3
    Regular Member Viper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Just outside Madistan
    Posts
    143
    I inherited a Model 721 in 30.06 from my granddad. He used it for 30 years and I have used it for 15 years deer hunting with no incident other than a sore shoulder during annual sight in.
    Rick
    "Don't draw fire, it irritates the people around you."

  4. #4
    Regular Member CUOfficer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by Brass Magnet View Post
    I forget which year they changed it, but the bolt on any of the rifles, that are less than 20 years old or so, can be worked WITHOUT taking the safety off. This was a design change made by Remington to fix some safety issues.

    If anyone has used model 700's (preferably short action) they feel the need to part with because of this problem, please PM me!
    Remington introduced rifles with the X-Mark Pro trigger in 2007, which implemented a blocking mechanism. However, they still sell the original design side-by-side with the old one. Check out the last page of the article. It is still possible to buy a gun that could have this problem.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    LOADED, MUZZLE, TRIGGER & TARGET, no mention of 'safety' but damn Remington anyway?

    Ask your own questions and find your own answers.

  6. #6
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by CUOfficer View Post
    Remington introduced rifles with the X-Mark Pro trigger in 2007, which implemented a blocking mechanism. However, they still sell the original design side-by-side with the old one. Check out the last page of the article. It is still possible to buy a gun that could have this problem.
    The 700's that I was talking about, that make it possible to work the bolt without taking the gun off safety, have been standard well before 2007. As you said, 2007 is when the block was introduced. Different thing entirely.

    Yes, it's possible to buy a rifle with the problem outlined in the article, and I would have no problem doing so.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 10-21-2010 at 11:27 AM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  7. #7
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Yeah, I've got one, I love it, I'll never part with it.

    And no, Brass, it's not for sale.

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Yeah, I've got one, I love it, I'll never part with it.

    And no, Brass, it's not for sale.
    Dang nabbit........

    Quick, somone start some REAL fear mongering so I can get cheap 700's!
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 10-21-2010 at 11:30 AM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  9. #9
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Also, after reading the article:

    The safest direction is down, at the ground.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    This is another one of the media hit pieces to cause FUD for anyone involved. I bought a 700 BDL 30-06 from a pawn shop a couple of years ago. The first time I took it our to fire I finished up with two shells in the magazine and one in the chamber. I removed the two from the magazine and tried to remove the one from the chamber. The bolt would not open with the safety on. I flipped the safety to fire and the rifle fired. Thankfully I was following the safety rules and there was no damage.

    I carried the rifle home and tried it out unloaded and found that it would occasionally fire when you moved the safety to the fire position. I got on the Internet and found there was a "recall" on any model 700 made prior to 1982 so mine was before 1982. They chaged the design in 1982. I took the rifle apart to give it a good cleaning and found that the seals were still on the trigger so it had not been adjusted but it also had never been cleaned looked like. I gave it a good cleaning and never could get it to fire by flipping the safety.

    I carried the gun to a Remington repair center and they modified it so that I can open the bolt with the safety still on. I do not know what else he did but it was whatever Remngton had recomended. I haven't had any problems with it since.

    In reading some posts in other places I understand that supposedly even with the modification, if you have the gun on safe, try to pull the trigger, then flip the safety to fire the gun will fire without pulling the trigger. I have not tried that so I can't say one way or the other. Either way I am not about to get rid of mine unless I can get a new 700 for it. Next time I am going to try a short action model and make sure the trigger is clean before taking it out and loading it.

  11. #11
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111 View Post
    In reading some posts in other places I understand that supposedly even with the modification, if you have the gun on safe, try to pull the trigger, then flip the safety to fire the gun will fire without pulling the trigger. I have not tried that so I can't say one way or the other. Either way I am not about to get rid of mine unless I can get a new 700 for it. Next time I am going to try a short action model and make sure the trigger is clean before taking it out and loading it.
    This is exactly the safety check you use after performing any trigger work on any firearm. You also work the action with the safety off and hit the rear of the buttstock with a dead blow with the safety off. All while unloaded and pointed in a safe direction of course.

    So, was 1982 when Remington changed the design so you could open the bolt without the safety in the "fire" position?
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Appleton, WI
    Posts
    276
    i put a jewell trigger in mine

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818

    Jewels are nice but I'm a big fan of these guys....

    Quote Originally Posted by apierce918 View Post
    i put a jewell trigger in mine
    http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?...index&cPath=24

    They are very nice, and a bit more affordable
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  14. #14
    Regular Member Interceptor_Knight's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,839
    Quote Originally Posted by sultan62 View Post
    Also, after reading the article:

    The safest direction is down, at the ground.
    It is impractical to carry a rifle with the muzzle straight down and if it discharges, it will likely deflect. Up if not aiming at your target is more easily accomplished with proper muzzle discipline.

  15. #15
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    It is impractical to carry a rifle with the muzzle straight down and if it discharges, it will likely deflect. Up if not aiming at your target is more easily accomplished with proper muzzle discipline.
    The woman was unloading the rifle. I maintain down (not meaning perpendicular to the ground) as a safe direction.

  16. #16
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    232
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor_Knight View Post
    It is impractical to carry a rifle with the muzzle straight down and if it discharges, it will likely deflect. Up if not aiming at your target is more easily accomplished with proper muzzle discipline.
    This is entirely inaccurate and very unsafe. I cringe everytime I see an ignorant sportsmen carrying his rifle slung on his shoulder, muzzle point up in the sky. Its very practical to carry muzzle down, and in doing so, if it discharges, it will go harmlessly into the ground. On the other hand, with the muzzle up, if that weapon discharges, well, remember, at some point that round has to come back down, and who knows what it will hit. There is a reason in the military we carry muzzle down. The other reason is its very easy to flag your buddies behind you with your muzzle if they are walking behind you muzzle up.

  17. #17
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281
    CNBC can say whatever they will, but the 700 Remington remains one of the very best rifles ever to be produced on an assembly line. And like they said, law enforcement, military, special ops of all kinds and thousands of world class shooters use it. I almost forgot, millions of everyday sportsmen also use it. There must be a reason.

    The real serious shooter will be replacing the factory trigger with a target type after market trigger anyway.

    And no I have never owned a 700, but only because I never had the extra cash to get one. My other rifles were always perfectly serviceable and have served me well for decades. Would I like to have a 700 Remington? You bet I would. But I probably never will, and NOT because of what CNBC has to say.

    So if anyone thinks they need to get rid of a 700, whatever caliber, before it blows up, just send me a note and I'll be more than happy to haul it away for you.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

  18. #18
    Regular Member comp45acp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Watertown, WI, ,
    Posts
    383
    I would not trust anything from CNBC, far leftist band of gun hating kooks. I have owned several 700s over the years and have 2 now. Never had any problems whatever with any of them.

  19. #19
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    So if anyone thinks they need to get rid of a 700, whatever caliber, before it blows up, just send me a note and I'll be more than happy to haul it away for you.
    Hey, don't be butting in on my action!
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  20. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    I traded my .17 Remington 700 with scope for a 1600 cc race engine and transmission for our B-Sedan Datsun 510 after I moved to South Carolina and couldn't find a range long enough challenge my skills and the .17 capabilities.

  21. #21
    Regular Member CUOfficer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Crosse, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    194
    Quote Originally Posted by comp45acp View Post
    I would not trust anything from CNBC, far leftist band of gun hating kooks. I have owned several 700s over the years and have 2 now. Never had any problems whatever with any of them.
    The purpose of me posting this was to inform people who owned the guns that there may be a problem. I had never heard about it so I thought it might benefit others. This doesn't need to be drug in to some discussion about politics. In fact, if you took the time to watch the show, they talked about the problems in the firearm industry relating to regulation. Firearm companies police themselves and can't be forced to issue a recall by the gov't. A man whose son was killed by one of these defective rifles said that he didn't support government regulation of firearms in any way, even after the accident. The show was neutral and a very informative one in to the operations of Remington and their shady practices. If you want to continue to buy their firearms and other accessories fine, but just know that it's a company who cares more about profit and less about the safety of its customers. It wasn't worth them to spend 5.5 cents a gun to fix the issue when it was first discovered. That tells you about the integrity of their company.

  22. #22
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    CUOfficer,
    I just want to make it clear that I'm glad you posted the information. If; in fact, what you say is true, about the 5.5 cents, it is indeed reprehensible but it won't stop me personally from buying a product that's one of the best. Well, the 700 action anyway; which is the only thing I buy. I believe it is important; however, that we are aware of the dangers. The other unfortunate thing is that, if we wouldn't buy any products any companies with shady business practices we'd all be monks.
    Last edited by Brass Magnet; 10-22-2010 at 11:13 AM.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  23. #23
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    232
    Remington is a fine company. Nothing wrong with them. So they didn't spend 5.5 cents, guaranteed they had their reasons.

  24. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Back then, 'a nickle here and a nickle there and pretty soon you're talking real money'!

    Now I noticed someone saying, "Don't anyone tell Obama what comes after a trillion." Then a wheelbarrow WILL be needed to carry paper worth a nickle today.

  25. #25
    Regular Member comp45acp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Watertown, WI, ,
    Posts
    383

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •