• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you own a Remington Model 700?

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
If so, you may want to watch the CNBC investigation about their faulty trigger mechanism......http://www.cnbc.com/id/39759366. The company has known about it for years and wouldn't spend 5.5 cents per gun to fix it when it was first discovered. I don't think I'll be buying any of their products any more!

I own several and have never personally had any issue. Knowing the inside of the mechanism, I do believe it's possible however; and silly that they wouldn't implement the simple design change. That being said, this is just one more reason to follow the rules of firearms safety which don't rely solely on a mechanical device.

I forget which year they changed it, but the bolt on any of the rifles, that are less than 20 years old or so, can be worked WITHOUT taking the safety off. This was a design change made by Remington to fix some safety issues.

I won't stop buying model 700's. They are too good to discount because of a trigger issue that's easily fixed by replacing it with an aftermarket one; which most of mine have anyway.

If anyone has used model 700's (preferably short action) they feel the need to part with because of this problem, please PM me!

Viper

I inherited a Model 721 in 30.06 from my granddad. He used it for 30 years and I have used it for 15 years deer hunting with no incident other than a sore shoulder during annual sight in.

CUOfficer

I forget which year they changed it, but the bolt on any of the rifles, that are less than 20 years old or so, can be worked WITHOUT taking the safety off. This was a design change made by Remington to fix some safety issues.

If anyone has used model 700's (preferably short action) they feel the need to part with because of this problem, please PM me!

Remington introduced rifles with the X-Mark Pro trigger in 2007, which implemented a blocking mechanism. However, they still sell the original design side-by-side with the old one. Check out the last page of the article. It is still possible to buy a gun that could have this problem.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
Remington introduced rifles with the X-Mark Pro trigger in 2007, which implemented a blocking mechanism. However, they still sell the original design side-by-side with the old one. Check out the last page of the article. It is still possible to buy a gun that could have this problem.

The 700's that I was talking about, that make it possible to work the bolt without taking the gun off safety, have been standard well before 2007. As you said, 2007 is when the block was introduced. Different thing entirely.

Yes, it's possible to buy a rifle with the problem outlined in the article, and I would have no problem doing so.

Last edited:

PT111

This is another one of the media hit pieces to cause FUD for anyone involved. I bought a 700 BDL 30-06 from a pawn shop a couple of years ago. The first time I took it our to fire I finished up with two shells in the magazine and one in the chamber. I removed the two from the magazine and tried to remove the one from the chamber. The bolt would not open with the safety on. I flipped the safety to fire and the rifle fired. Thankfully I was following the safety rules and there was no damage.

I carried the rifle home and tried it out unloaded and found that it would occasionally fire when you moved the safety to the fire position. I got on the Internet and found there was a "recall" on any model 700 made prior to 1982 so mine was before 1982. They chaged the design in 1982. I took the rifle apart to give it a good cleaning and found that the seals were still on the trigger so it had not been adjusted but it also had never been cleaned looked like. I gave it a good cleaning and never could get it to fire by flipping the safety.

I carried the gun to a Remington repair center and they modified it so that I can open the bolt with the safety still on. I do not know what else he did but it was whatever Remngton had recomended. I haven't had any problems with it since.

In reading some posts in other places I understand that supposedly even with the modification, if you have the gun on safe, try to pull the trigger, then flip the safety to fire the gun will fire without pulling the trigger. I have not tried that so I can't say one way or the other. Either way I am not about to get rid of mine unless I can get a new 700 for it. Next time I am going to try a short action model and make sure the trigger is clean before taking it out and loading it.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
In reading some posts in other places I understand that supposedly even with the modification, if you have the gun on safe, try to pull the trigger, then flip the safety to fire the gun will fire without pulling the trigger. I have not tried that so I can't say one way or the other. Either way I am not about to get rid of mine unless I can get a new 700 for it. Next time I am going to try a short action model and make sure the trigger is clean before taking it out and loading it.

This is exactly the safety check you use after performing any trigger work on any firearm. You also work the action with the safety off and hit the rear of the buttstock with a dead blow with the safety off. All while unloaded and pointed in a safe direction of course.

So, was 1982 when Remington changed the design so you could open the bolt without the safety in the "fire" position?

sultan62

It is impractical to carry a rifle with the muzzle straight down and if it discharges, it will likely deflect. Up if not aiming at your target is more easily accomplished with proper muzzle discipline.

The woman was unloading the rifle. I maintain down (not meaning perpendicular to the ground) as a safe direction.

It is impractical to carry a rifle with the muzzle straight down and if it discharges, it will likely deflect. Up if not aiming at your target is more easily accomplished with proper muzzle discipline.

This is entirely inaccurate and very unsafe. I cringe everytime I see an ignorant sportsmen carrying his rifle slung on his shoulder, muzzle point up in the sky. Its very practical to carry muzzle down, and in doing so, if it discharges, it will go harmlessly into the ground. On the other hand, with the muzzle up, if that weapon discharges, well, remember, at some point that round has to come back down, and who knows what it will hit. There is a reason in the military we carry muzzle down. The other reason is its very easy to flag your buddies behind you with your muzzle if they are walking behind you muzzle up.

Krusty

CNBC can say whatever they will, but the 700 Remington remains one of the very best rifles ever to be produced on an assembly line. And like they said, law enforcement, military, special ops of all kinds and thousands of world class shooters use it. I almost forgot, millions of everyday sportsmen also use it. There must be a reason.

The real serious shooter will be replacing the factory trigger with a target type after market trigger anyway.

And no I have never owned a 700, but only because I never had the extra cash to get one. My other rifles were always perfectly serviceable and have served me well for decades. Would I like to have a 700 Remington? You bet I would. But I probably never will, and NOT because of what CNBC has to say.

So if anyone thinks they need to get rid of a 700, whatever caliber, before it blows up, just send me a note and I'll be more than happy to haul it away for you.

comp45acp

I would not trust anything from CNBC, far leftist band of gun hating kooks. I have owned several 700s over the years and have 2 now. Never had any problems whatever with any of them.