• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Do you own a Remington Model 700?

CUOfficer

I would not trust anything from CNBC, far leftist band of gun hating kooks. I have owned several 700s over the years and have 2 now. Never had any problems whatever with any of them.

The purpose of me posting this was to inform people who owned the guns that there may be a problem. I had never heard about it so I thought it might benefit others. This doesn't need to be drug in to some discussion about politics. In fact, if you took the time to watch the show, they talked about the problems in the firearm industry relating to regulation. Firearm companies police themselves and can't be forced to issue a recall by the gov't. A man whose son was killed by one of these defective rifles said that he didn't support government regulation of firearms in any way, even after the accident. The show was neutral and a very informative one in to the operations of Remington and their shady practices. If you want to continue to buy their firearms and other accessories fine, but just know that it's a company who cares more about profit and less about the safety of its customers. It wasn't worth them to spend 5.5 cents a gun to fix the issue when it was first discovered. That tells you about the integrity of their company.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
CUOfficer,
I just want to make it clear that I'm glad you posted the information. If; in fact, what you say is true, about the 5.5 cents, it is indeed reprehensible but it won't stop me personally from buying a product that's one of the best. Well, the 700 action anyway; which is the only thing I buy. I believe it is important; however, that we are aware of the dangers. The other unfortunate thing is that, if we wouldn't buy any products any companies with shady business practices we'd all be monks. :cry:

Last edited:

Captain Nemo

Interesting that you would say you didn't want to drag politics into the discussion but go on to say " If you want to continue to buy their firearms and other accessories fine, but just know that it's a company who cares more about profit and less about the safety of it's customers". How political is that? The Remington 700 is considered on of the best and most accurate firearm ever mass produced.

Remington 700 recall notice
Safety Modification Program

Remington Model 700 & Model 40-X
If you own a Remington Model 700 or Model 40-X rifle:
Only those Model 700 or 40-X rifles made before March 1982 were manufactured with a bolt-lock mechanism. Model 700 or 40-X rifles made after March 1982 do not have a bolt-lock mechanism and may be loaded and unloaded with the safety in the “S” or “On Safe” position. Consequently, post-1982 Model 700 or 40-X rifles are not subject to this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program.

To determine whether your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, either:

• Call Remington toll-free at 1-877-387-6691 and a service representative will help you determine if your firearm has a bolt-lock mechanism, or

• Take your Model 700 or 40-X rifle to a Remington Authorized Repair Center and a qualified gunsmith will examine your firearm and determine whether it has a bolt-lock mechanism.

If your Model 700 or 40-X rifle has a bolt-lock mechanism, it is eligible for this bolt-lock Safety Modification Program. If you participate, your firearm will be cleaned and inspected for proper functioning by a qualified gunsmith. Once the condition of your firearm has been assessed, you will be notified of one of the following:

• Your firearm’s trigger assembly is otherwise in good operating condition, and the gunsmith will proceed to physically remove the bolt-lock feature so that your rifle can be loaded and unloaded while the safety remains in the “S” or “On Safe” position; or

• Your rifle’s trigger assembly is found to be in an unsatisfactory or potentially unsafe operating condition because of any number of factors, including wear, alteration or maintenance. The entire trigger assembly will be replaced with a new factory trigger assembly, which does not incorporate a bolt-lock mechanism.

In either case, the total cost to you is $20 plus shipping and handling. You will also receive a safety redemption certificate to complete and submit in order to receive a free blaze orange hat (one hat per certificate).

How to participate in the Safety Modification Program

Complete the General Repair Form and
Send or deliver your firearm and the completed repair form to either:
a) A Remington Authorized Repair Center; or
b) Ship your firearm to the Remington factory at:
Remington Arms Company, Inc.
Ilion Firearms Plant
Attention: BL Safety Program
14 Hoefler Avenue
Ilion, NY 13357

Remington will bill or arrange for payment once your firearm is received and evaluated.

CUOfficer

Interesting that you would say you didn't want to drag politics into the discussion but go on to say " If you want to continue to buy their firearms and other accessories fine, but just know that it's a company who cares more about profit and less about the safety of it's customers". How political is that? The Remington 700 is considered on of the best and most accurate firearm ever mass produced.

I'm happy for them. I'm not commenting on the heritage of the gun/company. Merely that they could have fixed it cheap and chose not to. I won't waste any more time on this as it was meant to be informative.