Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying on Commercial Airplanes

Carrying on Commercial Airplanes

I've heard many things about carrying firerarms in airports, but not enough on commercial airplanes, i.e. Southwest, American, Delta, etc. I'm not talking about in a box either, but on your person, OC or CC, which ever works for you.

For reference, here is the mythbusters Explosive Decompression test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1_1l7M8FA

Unless you are an Air Marshall, why worry about it? You are not going to get a chance to carry, let alone see what might happen if you puncture the plane's skin.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Unless you are an Air Marshall, why worry about it?
    I don't worry. I want to protect myself and family.

Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine with wings shot up.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine all shot up. Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine all shot up. Fixed it for you.
    I see what you did there Doug! But it is true. Even with 20mm rounds shooting up the planes are landing just fine.

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Obviously you guys have not seen Goldfinger

Banned
    I saw Lord of the Rings...

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    Obviously you guys have not seen Goldfinger
    Saw it. Also saw all the laws/rules that now say as much as I might want to take care of my own protection I am no longer allowed to do that on planes, trains, buses and boats.

So until/unless the laws get changed, why talk about it as if you could carry on a ____?

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine with wings shot off.
    Fix'd. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1983_Is...rce_F-15_crash

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    I've read that one before too. Another amazing aircraft from its inception, the A10, was designed to survive losing a wing and an engine and still be able to land!

I've read that one before too. Another amazing aircraft from its inception, the A10, was designed to survive losing a wing and an engine and still be able to land!
    It was designed to fly with one engine, but IDK about one wing. Though it has done it! Well, nearly anyway, the wing was shot to hell but still attached.

The A-10 is an awesome piece of equipment. Shame it's being retired with no real replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack House View Post
    It was designed to fly with one engine, but IDK about one wing. Though it has done it! Well, nearly anyway, the wing was shot to hell but still attached.

The A-10 is an awesome piece of equipment. Shame it's being retired with no real replacement.
    There have been rumors over the years that it was going to be retired (since its beginning really). The army won't let it retire though. When's its date?

There have been rumors over the years that it was going to be retired (since its beginning really). The army won't let it retire though. When's its date?
    The army hasn't had fixed wing combat aircraft since 47'... I think you are referring to the US Air Force. According to Wikipedia the A10 will be in service until 2028.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylen View Post
    The army hasn't had fixed wing combat aircraft since 47'... I think you are referring to the US Air Force. According to Wikipedia the A10 will be in service until 2028.
    Yes, the army doesn't have the A10, the air force does, but the army won't let the air force get rid of it any time soon.

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that they're set to retire sometime in the next decade or so to be replaced by the F-35.

Banned
    Replacing the A-10 Warthog, butt-ugly but tough, with the all-purpose pretty plastic F-35 is pure porcine stimulus for the military-industrial complex.

The A-10 was designed around the gun. It's a close air support plane, so it had to be built to withstand numerous amounts of small arms fire.

I read a news story about how a female pilot landed her A-10 with one engine, one wing mostly gone, the other wing shot to hell, the rudder and vertical stabilizer mostly gone, and the hydraulics dead. After she landed, she noted that she knew she was shot up pretty bad, but didn't know how bad it really was lol.

Wish we still built stuff like that today
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by elixin77 View Post
    The A-10 was designed around the gun.

Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine with wings shot up.

Yeah, but most of those stories are from WWII, when none of the military planes were pressurized. The reason why bomber crews wore those heavy insulated shearling jackets was because the planes weren't heated, pressurized or temperature controlled. No pressure = no depressurization...

Of course, there have been a LOT of modern planes (with pressurized cabins) shot through with bullets (even large AA rounds) that came back safe too.

But most of those stories about fighter planes or bombers coming in looking like swizz cheese were aircraft that did not have pressurized cabins.

So, that's sort of an "apples and oranges" argument.

I'm not saying that the "rapid depressurization" myth is true (because it's NOT), but using stories about military aircraft isn't really a legitimate argument with which to disprove it...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Banned
    Stories, narratives, prove nothing and disprove nothing. Like the Abos' DreamTime.

Wasn't the B29 Superfortress that dropped the A bomb on Japan pressurized?
    Last edited by swinokur; 10-22-2010 at 05:40 PM.

Banned
    Partially IIRC the cabin and some aft compartment with pressurized interconnecting tunnel. The bomb bay was not pressurized.

I love that photo because it's so frakking true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    In May 1970, the USAF issued a modified and much more detailed request for proposals (RFP) for the aircraft. The threat of Soviet armored forces and all-weather attack operations had became more serious. Now included in the requirements was that the aircraft would be designed specifically for the 30 mm cannon.
    Another Demotivational I really like.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast