• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carrying on Commercial Airplanes

DCKilla

I've heard many things about carrying firerarms in airports, but not enough on commercial airplanes, i.e. Southwest, American, Delta, etc. I'm not talking about in a box either, but on your person, OC or CC, which ever works for you.

For reference, here is the mythbusters Explosive Decompression test: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi1_1l7M8FA

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Unless you are an Air Marshall, why worry about it? You are not going to get a chance to carry, let alone see what might happen if you puncture the plane's skin.

stay safe.

protias

Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine with wings shot up.

protias

Unfortunately too many people think that a single (small caliber) bullet will bring down an entire plane yet don't even think about how military planes come back just fine all shot up. Fixed it for you.
I see what you did there Doug! :p But it is true. Even with 20mm rounds shooting up the planes are landing just fine.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Obviously you guys have not seen Goldfinger

Saw it. Also saw all the laws/rules that now say as much as I might want to take care of my own protection I am no longer allowed to do that on planes, trains, buses and boats.

So until/unless the laws get changed, why talk about it as if you could carry on a ____?

stay safe.

Jack House

I've read that one before too. Another amazing aircraft from its inception, the A10, was designed to survive losing a wing and an engine and still be able to land!
It was designed to fly with one engine, but IDK about one wing. Though it has done it! Well, nearly anyway, the wing was shot to hell but still attached.

The A-10 is an awesome piece of equipment. Shame it's being retired with no real replacement.

protias

It was designed to fly with one engine, but IDK about one wing. Though it has done it! Well, nearly anyway, the wing was shot to hell but still attached.

The A-10 is an awesome piece of equipment. Shame it's being retired with no real replacement.
There have been rumors over the years that it was going to be retired (since its beginning really). The army won't let it retire though. When's its date?

Daylen

There have been rumors over the years that it was going to be retired (since its beginning really). The army won't let it retire though. When's its date?

The army hasn't had fixed wing combat aircraft since 47'... I think you are referring to the US Air Force. According to Wikipedia the A10 will be in service until 2028.

protias

The army hasn't had fixed wing combat aircraft since 47'... I think you are referring to the US Air Force. According to Wikipedia the A10 will be in service until 2028.
Yes, the army doesn't have the A10, the air force does, but the army won't let the air force get rid of it any time soon.

Jack House

I could be wrong, but I could have sworn that they're set to retire sometime in the next decade or so to be replaced by the F-35.

elixin77

The A-10 was designed around the gun. It's a close air support plane, so it had to be built to withstand numerous amounts of small arms fire.

I read a news story about how a female pilot landed her A-10 with one engine, one wing mostly gone, the other wing shot to hell, the rudder and vertical stabilizer mostly gone, and the hydraulics dead. After she landed, she noted that she knew she was shot up pretty bad, but didn't know how bad it really was lol.

Wish we still built stuff like that today

protias

The A-10 was designed around the gun.
gau8ep6.jpg

:banana: