• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Walmart

Smith & Wesson

Just wondering but has anyone OCed in the Wal-Mart in Catlettsburg Ky on US 60? I haven't done it yet myself and every time I go there I look for postings on the doors that says no weapons but I have yet to see any. If anyone has or knows anything about their policy please pass on the info. Thanks a ton.

KRM59

not there but others

well as to date as i know it walmart still has the policy of following the state laws of what ever state the store is in. now with that said i personaly have had no issues in a walmart, but others have. they can ask you to leave and i have seen threads on here where LE was called on oc'ers in walmart by misguided employees, so only thing i can say is strap it on and carry and go about your business.

Last edited:

Smith & Wesson

well as to date as i know it walmart still has the policy of following the state laws of what ever state the store is in. now with that said i personaly have had no issues in a walmart, but others have. they can ask you to leave and i have seen threads on here where LE was called on oc'ers in walmart by misguided employees, so only thing i can say is strap it on and carry and go about your business.

Thanks KRM, I guess Ill have to swollow the lump in my throat and find out on my own. Just didnt want a hasstle from some LEO on a power trip like most in Ashland Ky are.

neuroblades

I've personally OC'ed in many Wal Marts across Ky. over the past year. I have not OC'ed in the one you mentioned here though, mainly because I don't know exactly where it's located.

The Wal Mart OC issue has been brought up many times in the OC forum here and the bottom line is that Wal Mart officially follows the laws of the states in which they operate. Someone on hereactually contacted Wal Mart's Market Office, AKA Corporate Office. I have the MP3 file of their Corporate Office's return phone call that was recorded stating as such, unfortunately, it doesn't seem that it can be uploaded here.

The key thing, know the law, you're in the right! Be confident and don't get nervous, this will only cause you ALOT of problems and a possible LEO encounter.

Here's the link to my very first Wal Mart adventure, check it out before you try your OC in Wal Mart, the advice will definitely help you! :)

Happy OC'ing.

Post back and let us all know how it goes!

Smith & Wesson

Well I went ahead and OCed at Cannonsburg Ky Wal-Mart. After being there for just a few moments a very nice man walked up to me and told me he was the manager. Said he knew the law and agreed with it and said he was very sorry to ask me but a customer had complained about me OCing. Said I was free to continue shopping all I wanted just next time to please leave it in my car. All in all I guess at least he was nice about it but once again like many others that has posted, a "customer" complained and was asked not to express my freedoms. I know every company has the right to make their own rules about having guns in their store but still, kind of ruins things for the people who simply try and enjoy our life and enjoy our rights.

Tribunal Power

I would have politely informed him that while I regret a customer's complaint, I am not in the business of waiving freedoms to make others comfy. It was neither your fault nor your problem that a sheep complained about you. Politely, I would have said that I appreciated his time, and that I regret his trouble, but that my priorities are on my safety and my rights.

That's just imho.

Smith & Wesson

I would have politely informed him that while I regret a customer's complaint, I am not in the business of waiving freedoms to make others comfy. It was neither your fault nor your problem that a sheep complained about you. Politely, I would have said that I appreciated his time, and that I regret his trouble, but that my priorities are on my safety and my rights.

That's just imho.

Yea I know but sadly if I am asked to leave or told I can not carry my gun inside their store, theres really nothing I can do about it other then shop some where else. But at lease he was nice about it and didnt cause a scene by calling the police.

KRM59

That is inccorect

Well, in my experience, while I've been asked to leave a couple places, I've also returned to those places later while carrying and have so far had no more than one issue per place. Honestly I think it's a fluke occurance that just happens once in a while. For the majority of the six months that I've OCed, I've had no problems at all. Tons of questions, but no "GTFO" or MWAG calls. There've been a few uncomfortable situations, but it's rare.

Then again, it depends on the area and the community. My area is pretty rural. But I have carried in Louisville, Lexington, and E-town, and so far have had no problems in any of the places I've been (other than the Fayette mall having a very aggrivating sign that bans all weapons of any kind). The same goes for Campbellesville and Bardstown.

Honestly, if you go back, the worst they can do is ask you to leave again. And even if you said no, there is nothing they can do. There is no sign posted. You are not breaking company policy-- they are. You are not breaking any laws, or even any rules of Walmar. The worst you're doing is making some silly sheep duck behind their shopping carts because they're afraid of your rights, and maybe annoying a manager or two. Sure, they can call LE, but the cops will probably just tell them to stuff it, or possibly just ask you to compromise and go somewhere else (to that, I wouldn't suggest saying no!). And even if you do get bonehead LEOs, nothing would stand in court.

The worst you'd be in for is a headache, which doesn't seem likely from where I'm sitting. However, to my discredit, I have no idea where your area is or how your community sits with the 2A.

But hey, on my bad days I'm a little headstrong. What can I say? I'm passionate and steadfast when it comes to my rights.

In other news, IANAL. My knowledge of laws and various corporate policies are just from my experience (albeit rather limited), in addition to information relayed and imparted by these forums (not so limited). It's all stuff I've learned or gleaned-- not legal advice. /end_disclaimer

Even though it is there polocy to abide by local and state laws, if you are asked to leave and you refuse you are then in violation of trespassing. your only option is to complaint to the corporate office. You must be very careful in these situations, no signage is needed to be asked to leave a retail store. it's sad but it's true, if you refuse and LE is called it could lead to charges and an all around bad day.

Smith & Wesson

I already knew if I was asked to leave then I have to. Only thing I can do is grin and go on about my way. But If Im ever treated in a bad way about it then I would be sure not to return to that store again. There are plenty of other places to spend my money.

neuroblades

I already knew if I was asked to leave then I have to. Only thing I can do is grin and go on about my way. But If Im ever treated in a bad way about it then I would be sure not to return to that store again. There are plenty of other places to spend my money.

Give it about a week and then give it another go and see how things turn out. As noted already, if asked to leave, you have to leave of face a possible Criminal Trespassing charge. But you're well aware of that fact already.

The key to handling these situations are to "take control" in an informative yet polite manner. This works to disarm them psychologically and reinforce your knowledge of that matter at hand. Be jovial and "offer" information to them before asked, this allows you to politely take charge of the situation and allows you to guide its path, not them guiding the path. This method works well with sheeple (store owners and others that ARE NOT LEO's! With LEO's, it's a different route. It you try this path with a LEO, you will usually only end up ticking them off and causing yourself ALOT of trouble and a possible ride "downtown" if you make the wrong LEO mad. Granted, as long as you're in the right, the ride "downtown" issues can be worked out at cost to you! NOT A GOOD THING by any means! *LOL*

Smith & Wesson

Yea I had planned on goong back in after a couple weeks. Im pretty nice to people when asked to leave cause most people dont know the law. Its the people that want to act an ass that gets to me. I guess most people dont know how to be polite about things.

Undertaker

Boyd County OC

I'm in there all the time, also in the Melody Mountain Wal Mart as well as everywhere else in Boyd County. Never Had A Problem anywhere so far. 3 of us worked all day on Judd Plaza on Oct 2, preparing for and playing music for First Friday Main Street and we were all Open Carrying. I also open carry without harassment in Central Park now. CARRY ON!!

Smith & Wesson

I'm in there all the time, also in the Melody Mountain Wal Mart as well as everywhere else in Boyd County. Never Had A Problem anywhere so far. 3 of us worked all day on Judd Plaza on Oct 2, preparing for and playing music for First Friday Main Street and we were all Open Carrying. I also open carry without harassment in Central Park now. CARRY ON!!

Thanks for the info. Im going to the hospital at 6m in the morning because my son is being born so it will be a couple days before I go back to Wal-mart and try again lol. But Im glad you never have any problems.

hotrod

Even though it is there polocy to abide by local and state laws, if you are asked to leave and you refuse you are then in violation of trespassing. your only option is to complaint to the corporate office. You must be very careful in these situations, no signage is needed to be asked to leave a retail store. it's sad but it's true, if you refuse and LE is called it could lead to charges and an all around bad day.

You can't be charged with trespass until the police ask you to leave. If you refuse then, you may be arrested. Unless the manager is willing to go to the county attorneys office and swear a complaint, which would never happen, don't worry. If the police are called, leave.

emsjeep

Walmart policy is to abide by local laws, tell them to call corporate HQ to clarify if there are any questions and cooperate in the meantime.

MrOverlay

I wonder what would happen if someone complained that a member of a particular religious faith made them feel uncomfortable?

I wonder if they would ask that member of a particular religious faith to leave?

Smith & Wesson

I wonder what would happen if someone complained that a member of a particular religious faith made them feel uncomfortable?

I wonder if they would ask that member of a particular religious faith to leave?

That is a damn good question. I will have to bring that up next time if asked to leave.