• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Shoulder Harness Open Carry

Herdo

Hello all, its been awhile since I've posted on here. I had a quick question about open/concealed carry. I recently bought an Uncle Mikes Sidekick Shoulder Holster and LOVE it. Here in AZ the temperature fluctuates drastically as you all know, and sometimes you will not need a jacket at 4 p.m. but by 6 p.m. you would be freezing without one. Now, I would like to be able to carry my GLOCK 17 without having to switch holsters mid evening and I wasn't sure on the legality of OC'ing with a shoulder rig. If you have any opinions on the legality of this, or personal stories, or you OC with a shoulder holster yourself, please, let me know. Thank you very much for your time. I hope to hear back soon.

Andy

P.S. I am not talking about walking around in the mall while OCing a should holster. I am simply wondering, lets say, if I got pulled over for any reason, could I get fined/ticketed for this. Thanks again.

azcdlfred

Hello all, its been awhile since I've posted on here. I had a quick question about open/concealed carry. I recently bought an Uncle Mikes Sidekick Shoulder Holster and LOVE it.
Andy - If you are over 21, it doesn't matter how you carry your pistol, including in a shoulder harness.

If you are 18-21 you can only open carry and the law is ARS 13-3102.B.3 . If you fall in the 18-21 group, there are other things that come into play also.

Fred
PS - For safety and tactical reasons, I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters.

Herdo

Andy - If you are over 21, it doesn't matter how you carry your pistol, including in a shoulder harness.

If you are 18-21 you can only open carry and the law is ARS 13-3102.B.3 . If you fall in the 18-21 group, there are other things that come into play also.

Fred
PS - For safety and tactical reasons, I'm not a fan of shoulder holsters.

Thank you, I am 22 so I fall into the over 21 category. I do wish there was a simpler way to carry my weapon. Although it is so big I really don't see any other choice. I plan by time the weather warms up, to purchase a Glock 26 or Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact to carry in an IWB holster. Right now I OC and CC about 50/50.

Thanks again,
Andy

Sonora Rebel

Thank you, I am 22 so I fall into the over 21 category. I do wish there was a simpler way to carry my weapon. Although it is so big I really don't see any other choice. I plan by time the weather warms up, to purchase a Glock 26 or Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact to carry in an IWB holster. Right now I OC and CC about 50/50.

Thanks again,
Andy

Big? I carry a 1911A1 on a seperate gunbelt. 'Only time I use a shoulder holster is when it's raining and covered by a jacket... or I'm in Texas. Shoulder holsters (worn externally) scream: 'Look at me... I got a gun!"

azcdlfred

I do wish there was a simpler way to carry my weapon. Although it is so big I really don't see any other choice. I plan by time the weather warms up, to purchase a Glock 26 or Sig Sauer P250 Sub Compact to carry in an IWB holster. Right now I OC and CC about 50/50.
I wear a Glock Model 21 (largest size) in a straight drop, outside the belt holster 99% of the time. I open carry more than discreet carry ("concealed" implies that I am doing something wrong, that I am hiding something). Big gun, belt holster - no problem.

The shoulder holster violates safety rules from the moment you put it on. For a start, it's pointed behind you, violating the "don't point your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy" rule. Unless you swing your support arm to shoulder level, or immediately point the gun at the ground, you will be muzzling your arm (it contains a major artery) and everyone within a 180 degree radius as you make the long and time consuming "helicopter" sweep to get on target. By the time you get your gun in front of you and obtain target alignment and sight alignment, anyone with a belt holster and some basic competencies will have truned you into a bullet sponge.

Finally, a shoulder holster in open carry mode screams "look at me - I have a gun." You probably don't need that kind of attention. And, at 22 it will probably make you a cop magnet.

Fred

Last edited:

Herdo

Hmm?

While I see where you are all coming from I think I need to clear up some confusion. I am not looking to wear a shoulder holster while OCing. When I OC I carry a normal belt holster on my side and the size of my gun is not a problem. I was saying it was too big to be placed in an IWB holster or ankle holster. It is too big for any other concealed carry methods. Also the gun is never pointing behind me. It is a vertical holster and is pointed at the ground. When I draw, I sweep the ground with it. I understand that my weapon is not too big to be OCing but I was referring to CC. Like I said I OC and CC about 50/50, and I don't have a problem OCing my GLOCK 17. The original topic was to learn the legality of OCing a shoulder holster on days that I plan on CCing, but may need to take my jacket off while driving, pumping gas, etc. I know there are much more effective ways to OC and do them regularly. If my shoulder rig is so wrong, please, tell me another CC method I could use for a GLOCK 17 that isnt as ridiculous. Gun shirt? Pointless, I might as well have a horizonal shoulder holster. Thunderwear type set up? Yea I would like to have children some day, I'm not going to risk that. I really do think for a full sized pistol, my shoulder holster is the best option.

Andy

Sonora Rebel

The shoulder holster violates safety rules from the moment you put it on. For a start, it's pointed behind you, violating the "don't point your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy" rule.

Finally, a shoulder holster in open carry mode... at 22 it will probably make you a cop magnet.

Fred

My Bianchi shoulder rig is a straight drop clamshell. I have one of those sideways things in the junk drawer. It doesn't conceal anything... looks like I'm hidin' a chicken under my jacket.

Sonora Rebel

While I see where you are all coming from I think I need to clear up some confusion. I am not looking to wear a shoulder holster while OCing. When I OC I carry a normal belt holster on my side and the size of my gun is not a problem. I was saying it was too big to be placed in an IWB holster or ankle holster. It is too big for any other concealed carry methods. Also the gun is never pointing behind me. It is a vertical holster and is pointed at the ground. When I draw, I sweep the ground with it. I understand that my weapon is not too big to be OCing but I was referring to CC. Like I said I OC and CC about 50/50, and I don't have a problem OCing my GLOCK 17. The original topic was to learn the legality of OCing a shoulder holster on days that I plan on CCing, but may need to take my jacket off while driving, pumping gas, etc. I know there are much more effective ways to OC and do them regularly. If my shoulder rig is so wrong, please, tell me another CC method I could use for a GLOCK 17 that isnt as ridiculous. Gun shirt? Pointless, I might as well have a horizonal shoulder holster. Thunderwear type set up? Yea I would like to have children some day, I'm not going to risk that. I really do think for a full sized pistol, my shoulder holster is the best option.

Andy

Ahhhh so! It's OC... 'been legal in for nearly 100 years any way you want'a do that. IWB's are a pain in the ass... literally.

kwikrnu

Banned
The shoulder holster violates safety rules from the moment you put it on. For a start, it's pointed behind you, violating the "don't point your gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy" rule. Unless you swing your support arm to shoulder level, or immediately point the gun at the ground, you will be muzzling your arm (it contains a major artery) and everyone within a 180 degree radius as you make the long and time consuming "helicopter" sweep to get on target. By the time you get your gun in front of you and obtain target alignment and sight alignment, anyone with a belt holster and some basic competencies will have truned you into a bullet sponge.

Finally, a shoulder holster in open carry mode screams "look at me - I have a gun." You probably don't need that kind of attention. And, at 22 it will probably make you a cop magnet.

Fred

Some handguns are too big for belt holsters.

pistols.jpg

azcdlfred

I was saying it was too big to be placed in an IWB holster or ankle holster. It is too big for any other concealed carry methods.
I wear a Model 21 (larger than your Model 17), so I understand where you are coming from. Since I'm 63, I don't have to be fashion conscious like a 22 year old.

Whether I open carry or discreet carry, I wear a straight drop outside the belt holster. For discreet carry, I wear a shirt outside my pants. I prefer a patterned shirt to break up the outline and one that has a straight cut at the bottom.

If you are thin, you can even wear a baggy t-shirt outside your pants.

Fortunately, this is Arizona where "dressing up" means clean shorts, flip-flops that aren't broken, and a tank top that doesn't have stains on it. Casual clothing works well for concealement.

A big Glock, or a full size 1911 doesn't work well for IWB, plus I find IWB to be very uncomfortable, and it places my gun in an undesireable position. When I have to be uber discreet, I'll switch to one of my other .45 caliber Glocks. The Model 30 is to the Model 21, as the 26 is to the 17. Actually it's somewhere between the 26 & 19.

I've owned the Model 26 and found it to be a great size for concealment in either a belt holster, or when forced -an IWB. I'd consider that before going with a shoulder holster, but as you may have surmised, I have a bias against anything other than a straight drop belt holster.

Fred

TOF

I carry a M&P 45 full size IWB at 3:00 to 3:30, 16x7 in a Galco Summer Comfort. I don't find it to be in the least bit uncomfortable. If I happen to have a shirt or jacket on it is discreetly carried. When it is hot it is OC. I use the same setup when involved in our local IPSC shoots.

By using the same setup always there is never a question regarding where to reach if the need arises.

Herdo

By using the same setup always there is never a question regarding where to reach if the need arises.

I agree 100%, which is why I started the thread, haha. I would rather not have to switch between two holsters throughout my day. I don't mind changing the setup once a year for the warm weather though. I love OCing, simply because I have the right to. As the moto goes, "A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost", but on most occasions I really would rather people not know I have my weapon on me (again, this depends on the setting). Oh and Sonora Rebel, I am gonna have to agree with you, IWB holster's ARE a pain in the ass, haha. A buddy of mine always carry's one, and I really don't see how. Also, Fred, I am real excited to see how the Glock 26 fit's me. I have fairly big hand's, that is my only concern. Thank's again everyone, you have all been a big help!

Andy

azcdlfred

Also, Fred, I am real excited to see how the Glock 26 fit's me. I have fairly big hand's, that is my only concern.
Andy, I have big hands also, that's why I like the Model 21.

What I liked about the Model 26 is that I could rest the bottom of the handle on my curled pinky finger. I never liked those after-market magazine extensions. With my middle and 3rd finger wrapped around the handle, and my pinky underneath, and using a two-handed grip, I had a rock steady grip and complete control. Being a "fat" gun with a double-stack magazine helps those of us with bigger hands.

You'll like the Model 26.

In case you are wondering why I don't have a Model 26 anymore. It's real simple. A Model 26 doesn't shoot .45 cal.

Fred

Last edited: