• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Olympic Park tragedy underscores guns in parks issue

Dave Workman

This is a cold, hard fact about the West that a lot of people who have moved here from elsewhere, or who grew up in the urban Puget Sound environment simply fail to grasp: There are things that can kill you out there other than falls and your own stupidity, which this column mentioned the other day here. Wild animals are called “wild” for a reason, and it’s not just bears and mountain lions that can harm you.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-in-seattle/olympic-park-tragedy-underscores-guns-parks-issue

Or try this:

http://tinyurl.com/25kku2a

xxx.jakk.xxx

A big part of my purchase of a handgun back in February/ March was because I go on road trips to the Ocean, Mountains and many Forests. I don't want to be met by a Black Bear, Cougar or any other wild animal and have no defense but to run. I'm a human, I wasn't made to combat those types of threats with my bare hands, so now I bear arms. =]

Last edited:

Lovenox

A gun could have easly spared this man's life. I wonder what his position was on guns just out of curosity..

skiingislife725

That's the vibe that I get from most of my climbing/skiing buddies. That is, "It won't happen to me." But then again, if 1 out of 17 adults in Washington have a CPL (but not necessarily carries it), that puts the vast majority of people in that mindset.

Triple Tap

Was out Turkey hunting a few weeks ago and sure as a bear poops in the woods, outa nowhere the biggest black bear I have in the wild popped out. We where just stopping the truck to get out and head into the woods. Yes, I carrying my .45 and a shotgun, but the shotgun was loaded with #6 bird. After that, the guide dude we had decided he was going to start wearing his .357 mag. Go figure, hes out there every day.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Widow Sues goat!

PORT ANGELES, Wash. — The widow of a Port Angeles hiker who was fatally gored by a mountain goat in Washington's Olympic National Park has filed a wrongful death claim against the park.
Bob Boardman died last October after a mountain goat followed him and gored him on a popular park trail about 17 miles south of Port Angeles.
The Peninsula Daily News (http://bit.ly/q4LFZQ ) reports that three wrongful death claims totaling $10 million have been filed. They were filed by Boardman's wife Susan Chadd, her son Jacob Haverfield and Boardman's estate.
Tacoma lawyer John Messina, who represents Boardman's estate, says the park is liable for the 63-year-old's death.
Park spokeswoman Barb Maynes said officials would not comment on the claims.

Read more: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2011/08/07/1774407/claims-filed-in-death-of-wash.html#ixzz1UOnexm9d

Last edited:

ManInBlack

The one problem I have with the article is the following:

The Brady Campaign went overboard, trying to frighten park visitors into believing they would come face-to-face with some guy carrying an AK-47 on the trail.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with carrying an AK-47 in a wilderness area, or anywhere else for that matter (to the anti-long gun carry whiners, kindly shove it). Thanks to the new law, it is legal and, in fact, a combat-grade rifle is often a better choice for use against four-legged predators than the small-caliber pistols many carry for defensive purposes.

Last edited:

hermannr

You know what, if the law to allow carry in a NP had not been passed, I could see some possibilities for these suits here. But now what the NP System hates the most is going to save them from these suits.

No?

Just Think about it this way, consider it your property...you refuse to allow someone to protect themselves on your property, and they are robbed/murdered? Are you being negligent by not protecting them properly? (Remember, you have refused to allow them to protect themselves, you may have warned them of dangers, but you specifically forbid them from protecting themselves...)

So now, lets change one thing. All else above, except you permit them to protect themselves. That is you warn them it may be dangerous, but then you allow them to protect themselves if they feel it may be needed...personally I do not think you are negligent any more...

Oh yes, one additional thing...signage...I wonder if they got those signs changed????

Last edited:

amlevin

You know what, if the law to allow carry in a NP had not been passed, I could see some possibilities for these suits here. But now what the NP System hates the most is going to save them from these suits.

No?

Just Think about it this way, consider it your property...you refuse to allow someone to protect themselves on your property, and they are robbed/murdered? Are you being negligent by not protecting them properly? (Remember, you have refused to allow them to protect themselves, you may have warned them of dangers, but you specifically forbid them from protecting themselves...)

So now, lets change one thing. All else above, except you permit them to protect themselves. That is you warn them it may be dangerous, but then you allow them to protect themselves if they feel it may be needed...personally I do not think you are negligent any more...

Oh yes, one additional thing...signage...I wonder if they got those signs changed????

One thing that may well put the NP's "goodies" on the toaster is the fact that they IMPORTED the goats like the one responsible for the hiker's death. Mountain goats like this one are not indigenous to the Olympics. Also, they park service has had issues with them before. Unfortunately the Widow may well be able to make a case that the ONP management is responsible and then we, the taxpayers get to pay, again.

waterfowl woody

city people coming out to the forest. STOP! now the mountain goats have to get lawyers? all the goat did is protect himself. bad deal for the guy and his family but that is what happens in the woods, animals live there!

amzbrady

Likely "I don't need one - after all, that will never happen to me!"

No second chances.

One thing that may well put the NP's "goodies" on the toaster is the fact that they IMPORTED the goats like the one responsible for the hiker's death. Mountain goats like this one are not indigenous to the Olympics. Also, they park service has had issues with them before. Unfortunately the Widow may well be able to make a case that the ONP management is responsible and then we, the taxpayers get to pay, again.

With the way lawyers are today, and the judges being such simpletons, I could see her winning.

amlevin

No second chances.

With the way lawyers are today, and the judges being such simpletons, I could see her winning.

Save some for the management of the Park, they deserve some scorn for their actions too. First they bring in the Goats, and then when they behave badly, just expect that hikers will have enough brains to get away from them.

hermannr

Actually the NPS did not bring in the goats, they were brought in before there ever was an ONP by Seattle Sportsmaen that wanted to hunt them. They only became a problem because they were not hunted.

Also, I think there were arguments that the goats have been there before the white man came too, That is it is historic range for goats, even if there were none there in 1900. Don't worry about the goats, I'll lay odds they won't be front and center on this case. The management of the goats will be. Especially aggressive ones. And signage...

Don't discount the argument that even if it was legal for a person to carry and protect themselves, the signage did not notify,,,that is negligence which is what they will go after. They were negligent by not informing of the agressive goat, and they were negligent on not informing the change in the law that allowed someone to protect themselves.

The same will go for the next bear mauling in Yellowstone as the NPS is specifically telling people visiting the back country in Yellowstone, if you shoot a bear we will prosecute.