Thread: (Off Topic) Adventures in Political Activism

(Off Topic) Adventures in Political Activism

I am a student at College of Southern Nevada, enrolled in classes at both Cayenne and Charleston Campuses. Yesterday October 21st, after my English Class Adjourned for the day, and while exiting the building through the main entrance, I was asked by what appeared to be a signature gathering group if i was a registered voter, I replied with a simple "yes, why?" A young woman informed me, in her exact words, "we're gathering signatures to help bring an NBA team to Las Vegas." Intrigued, and a bit curious as i already knew this was a blatant misrepresentation of what the initiative they were gathering signatures actually was I wanted to look closer. I asked if i could read the initiative as written on the signature sheet. She handed me the clipboard and i started reading. Low and behold it was the initiative to enact a 0.9% sales tax to fund the development of an arena complex between Koval and Paradise and between spring mountain and Flamingo. I then said exactly the following, " I'm sorry i can't sign this I don't agree with it."

As I walked away I got to thinking, How many people has she gotten to sign without reading the actual text of the initiative. I felt i was compelled to confront them for the fraud they were perpetuating. I aproached the woman who made the misrepresentation and asked, "Are you working for a paid signature gathering organization, and if so, what is the name of the organization?" Then an older man who was gathing signatures told the others to shut up and then got within inches of my face and said "Why are you yelling at us," repeating that phrase over and over. He rambled phrases like "why don't you just get the F*** out of here," "I don't bother you while you're working," I was finally able to get a word in edgewise and said, "I'm not yelling, i don't want to argue, i just want to know your names and the names of your employer." He got even closer to me saying "what? If i don't tell you what you gonna do then? I told him to back away from me there was no need to get hostile. He said, "Well I'm in yo face now mothafu**a." Finally another guy who seemed far more cool and collected got his colleague under control and interjected saying, "[their] names and employer are confidential information, and [they] are authorized to be on CSN grounds." i said to them, "that's fine, I'll handle things another way."

They decided it was time to bug out before they could be confronted by anyone with authority, there was nothing more to be gained by any further engagement and at that point i just walked away. I did call the Administration office and issued a complaint based on misrepresentation, in hopes that they would loose their authorization to collect signatures on campus. I then learned that a week prior, a small group of students assembled in authorized protest of the initiative they were collecting for, resulting in one of the signature gatherers assaulting one of the protesters. I also learned that a week prior to the assault on a student, these signature gatherers were having unregistered voters fill out a voter registration card to get their signature, but they were accepting these cards after voter registration ended, amounting to voter registration fraud.

Through some other PAC sources I found out that these signature gatherers are being paid $3.00 per signature, which to my knowledge is three times the typical reward per signature.

My goal is to get this campaign exposed to the public for what it really is, a way for private special interests to get funding from tax dollars to fund projects that should be financed through private investors. I want this kind of deceptive signature gathering exposed, and at least thrown off my college campus. I called into the Allan Stock Radio show on KXNT and got immediate Air time on the matter I described, and it seemed that Allan was extremely interested in what transpired. I also plan to lobby the College administration for new rules regarding the use of campus facilities by paid signature gathering organizations. I believe that the school should require full disclosure of the gatherers names, their employers name and the name of the client who is paying for the signature gathering service to anyone who asks. I want a zero tolerance policy for misconduct by signature gatherers.

Any other ideas about what can be done? Are there laws being broken when these organizations behave in such a way?

Wow, quite a story. I don't know much about what it is you need to pursue this further, but as a CSN student I will gladly back any action that is pushed against deceptive campaigning.
    "You need only reflect that one of the best ways to get yourself a reputation as a dangerous citizen these days is to go about repeating the very phrases which our founding fathers used in the struggle for independence."
    -- Charles A. Beard
    XD(m) 9mm

Law that may be usefull;

NRS 293.710 Intimidation of voters.
    1. It is unlawful for any person, in connection with any election or petition, whether acting himself or herself or through another person in his or her behalf, to:
    (a) Use or threaten to use any force, coercion, violence, restraint or undue influence;
    (b) Inflict or threaten to inflict any physical or mental injury, damage, harm or loss upon the person or property of another;
    (c) Expose or publish or threaten to expose or publish any fact concerning another in order to induce or compel such other to vote or refrain from voting for any candidate or any question;
    (d) Impede or prevent, by abduction, duress or fraudulent contrivance, the free exercise of the franchise by any voter, or thereby to compel, induce or prevail upon any elector to give or refrain from giving his or her vote; or
    (e) Discharge or change the place of employment of any employee with the intent to impede or prevent the free exercise of the franchise by such employee.
    2. Unless a greater penalty is provided by law, any violation of this section is a gross misdemeanor.
    (Added to NRS by 1960, 268; A 1993, 2669)

NRS 306.025 Misrepresenting intent or content of petition for recall prohibited; penalty.
    1. A person shall not misrepresent the intent or content of a petition for the recall of a public officer which is circulated pursuant to the provisions of this chapter.
    2. Any person who violates the provisions of subsection 1 is guilty of a misdemeanor.
    (Added to NRS by 1989, 1062)

NRS 205.125 Misconduct in signing, filing or altering petition; penalties.
    1. A person shall not willfully sign the name of another person, whether living or deceased, or of a fictitious person to any petition. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130. Each false or wrongful signature on a petition in violation of this subsection, whether related to a single petition or multiple petitions, constitutes a separate offense.
    2. A person shall not willfully add to, revise or alter any petition with the intent to falsify the name or any information concerning the age, citizenship or residence of another person who signs the petition. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130. Each addition, revision or alteration to a petition in violation of this subsection, whether related to a single petition or multiple petitions, constitutes a separate offense.
    3. A person shall not willfully offer or provide any consideration, gratuity or reward to another person with the intent to induce the other person to sign his or her own name to or withdraw his or her own name from any petition. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130. Each offer or provision of consideration, gratuity or reward to another person in violation of this subsection, whether related to a single petition or multiple petitions, constitutes a separate offense.
    4. A person shall not, knowing that any petition contains any false or wrongful signature, statement or information, file the petition or cause the petition to be filed. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a category D felony and shall be punished as provided in NRS 193.130. Each filing of a petition in violation of this subsection, whether related to a single petition or multiple petitions, constitutes a separate offense.
    5. A person shall not, in signing his or her own name to any petition, willfully subscribe to any false statement concerning his or her age, citizenship, residence or other qualifications to sign the petition. A person who violates the provisions of this subsection is guilty of a misdemeanor. Each subscription to a false statement in violation of this subsection, whether related to a single petition or multiple petitions, constitutes a separate offense.
    6. As used in this section, “petition” means a referendum or other petition circulated in pursuance of any law of this State or any municipal ordinance.
    [1911 C&P 405; RL 6670; NCL 10357]—(NRS A 2007, 753)
    Last edited by Nevada carrier; 10-22-2010 at 10:33 PM.