• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison's Anti-Gun Campaign

Justincase

Recognizing their are still pro-gun people who think "conceal carry will solve all of this" I would ask them...

Do they want the police to be summoned should someone ever see a bulge on their hip inside their shirt?

Do they want the police to come and demand "papers please" should they ever "print" when they reach for a can of peas off the grocery store shelf?

What if ONE person is alarmed by catching a glimpse of your legally carried holstered handgun inside of your jacket when they are in a hot shopping mall and you unzipped to cool off. Is that disorderly conduct too? (insert eye roll here)

Conceal carry won't solve the problem. Police HAVE to adjust their approach.

I recognize this represents a change for police but the knee jerk "gun = bad" "see a gun call police" is the mindless tried and failed 1990's banning, zero tolerance, no common sense approach. Tried and failed. Its 2010, Wisconsin is decades behind the times in recognizing rights. Again, I recognize this represents a change. I'm sorry change is "hard" for law enforcement, but either way "change gonna come"

I can say first hand that this is a pain in the ass. Always paranoid about your profile is a sucky position to be in, and takes your focus off of your surroundings, which is bad.

Justincase

i've got an idea; let the left focus their efforts, rather than on banning guns, on ending all the reasons one would need a gun in our society. attacking the solution does not end the problem. thusly i have spoken.

Please don't paint with such a broad brush. While one can recognize and agree that the left is an enemy of 2A overall, not every progressive is. Most smart progressives I agree with are staunch 2A supporters. Civil rights is civil rights no matter how you slant it.

Just note that not all that align to the left are anti-2A, please.

MKEgal

Start calling the police about the police carrying guns.

LOL! When I was reading the first post, I too thought "well, let's call every time we see an officer w/ a gun".
You took it to its hilarious yet obvious conclusion. Thank you!

I'm looking forward to the backpeddaling & ass-covering that's going to happen when Madison's new "call us every time you see someone with a gun, & we'll arrest 'em" policy is ruled illegal. Milwaukee isn't much better, at least on paper; the Chief thinks his "troops" can search / seize / cuff someone with impunity, even though they're not breaking any law. Any bets on when the next big lawsuit against Milwaukee PD will happen?

Last edited:

oak1971

Please don't paint with such a broad brush. While one can recognize and agree that the left is an enemy of 2A overall, not every progressive is. Most smart progressives I agree with are staunch 2A supporters. Civil rights is civil rights no matter how you slant it.

Just note that not all that align to the left are anti-2A, please.

A pro gun progressive must be a rare breed, I have yet to see or hear of one in 40 years till now. Heck, some so-called conservatives are anti gun.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
That is Codevilla's thesis, that I am reading now, that the two parties that actually exist in America are the Ruling Class and the Country Class. Traditional political rhetoric turned us down the fork in the road a long time ago. I suggest it was Lincoln-16's destruction of federalism.

ccwinstructor

Centurion
Just read Codevilla's essay

That is Codevilla's thesis, that I am reading now, that the two parties that actually exist in America are the Ruling Class and the Country Class. Traditional political rhetoric turned us down the fork in the road a long time ago. I suggest it was Lincoln-16's destruction of federalism.

It is very well done. It brings together a number of threads that I have been reading about for a couple of decades. It states our problem well.

Last edited: