• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

a little OT but.....

Broondog

i'm a bit confused about something. first, read this....

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/10/21/2341462/showdown-looms-for-raymore-gun.html

note the part that says.....

and makes it legal to transport a gun in a vehicle even if the person does not have a conceal-and-carry permit.

i have always understood that this was state law and could not be trumped by any political subdivision. the fact that they have it added to a ballot issue confuses me even more. this should be a non issue.

have i missed something recently.....or in a past lifetime?

edit to clarify.....

the first article i read about this states that the vehicle issue is for folks over 21 which we all know mirrors state law.

http://www.kansascity.com/2010/07/26/2109629/raymore-gun-issue-will-be-on-nov.html

Last edited:

cash50

This is covered by state law already. Either these local politicians are ignorant of it, or they added as a scare factor.

cash50

Oh and did you see the part where the act like no one can carry in city parks???

Even though they may have an ordinance that prohibits carry in a city park it is an illegal ordinance. They can only regulate carry in city owned buildings per state law.
But they can prohibit open carry by ordinance.

Last edited:

cshoff

Here is a copy of my reply to this topic over on MoCarry:

There is so much wrong information in the article, that it's hard to say who in that town is more confused; the people for the ordinance, or the people against it.

For example, this statement:
"Cox is highly critical of the effort and dismisses criticism that his ordinance is anti-Second Amendment because it allows council members to carry concealed weapons during meetings, but not citizens in the audience.

State law prohibits that. His ordinance did, however, include a resolution in which Raymore asked the Missouri General Assembly to rescind a ban on citizens carrying guns at council meetings."

I spent 45 minutes on the phone with Jeff Cox explaining some of these statutes to him this past spring. He was made fully aware at that time that the City has all the authority they need to allow CCW holders to carry their firearms into council meeting WITHOUT any change to anything in RSMO 571. There IS NO STATE BAN on carry in council meetings by CCW holders.

And this excerpt from the article:
"Council member Jeff Cox, who introduced the ordinance, and a group that has joined him in opposing the ballot measure, have been pushing the message to voters that the ballot question would “disarm police” by not making an exception for police officers carrying concealed weapons into city-owned buildings, including police headquarters."
I sure hope they aren't using that line of argument because it will shoot their credibility down the toilet.

Then there is the nonsense about prohibiting concealed firearms in parks and transporting firearms in vehicles......I don't know. Sounds like these folks don't know whether they are coming or going.

cash50

Like a lot of people, they are truly unaware of what one can and can't do in Missouri. But they certainly think they know.

Broondog

this just occurred to me.....

can they get in trouble for putting to a vote something that is already state law?

and BTW, i did a search for "Raymore, MO gun" and nearly every article that popped up stated that car carry was already legal. i wonder if the Raymore powers that be actually read the paper?