Thread: Purse Carry???

Purse Carry???

I was curious as to where a firearm carried in a purse fell into MO state law?

I know it's not the best place to carry one but wondered anyways.

Is a CCW required? Or is it a cased firearm??

Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    I was curious as to where a firearm carried in a purse fell into MO state law?

I know it's not the best place to carry one but wondered anyways.

Is a CCW required? Or is it a cased firearm??
    It is DEFINITELY considered concealed, and you DO need a CCW to carry in a purse. The same thing applies to a fanny pack or other forms of off-body carry such as a computer bag, a brief case, etc. The State of Missouri makes no distinction of a "cased" firearm in our statutes. If you are walking down the street with a firearm concealed in a gun bag, for example, you had BETTER have a valid CCW permit in your possession as well.

Thanks. I was thinking about Illinois' only legal form(s) of carry and the fanny pack things popped up, so I wondered about MO.

I didn't know you carried a purse, Cash. You never had one at any of our Starbucks gatherings. You must have made some serious life choices since then.

Did I say purse? I meant satchel. Indiana Jones has one.

Some call it a European shoulder bag. Have you seen the Geico commercial?

Murse.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Satchel / letter bag / man bag / man purse / whatever

Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    It is DEFINITELY considered concealed, and you DO need a CCW to carry in a purse. The same thing applies to a fanny pack or other forms of off-body carry such as a computer bag, a brief case, etc. The State of Missouri makes no distinction of a "cased" firearm in our statutes. If you are walking down the street with a firearm concealed in a gun bag, for example, you had BETTER have a valid CCW permit in your possession as well.
    You know the state code better than I. Isn't their something in there about a firearm only considered illegaly case carried if "readily capable of use" ie loaded or with ammunition at the ready? I know their are there are some jurisdictions that have OC transport laws that I use to OC on a motorcycle that have the "readily capable laws".

Doc

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    You know the state code better than I. Isn't their something in there about a firearm only considered illegaly case carried if "readily capable of use" ie loaded or with ammunition at the ready? I know their are there are some jurisdictions that have OC transport laws that I use to OC on a motorcycle that have the "readily capable laws".

Doc

I believe you are referring to RSMO 571.030.1 (1) and 571.030.3 where it states, in part:

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
    3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible.......<snip>