Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Purse Carry???

  1. #1
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349

    Purse Carry???

    I was curious as to where a firearm carried in a purse fell into MO state law?

    I know it's not the best place to carry one but wondered anyways.

    Is a CCW required? Or is it a cased firearm??

  2. #2
    Regular Member cshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Missouri, USA
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by cash50 View Post
    I was curious as to where a firearm carried in a purse fell into MO state law?

    I know it's not the best place to carry one but wondered anyways.

    Is a CCW required? Or is it a cased firearm??
    It is DEFINITELY considered concealed, and you DO need a CCW to carry in a purse. The same thing applies to a fanny pack or other forms of off-body carry such as a computer bag, a brief case, etc. The State of Missouri makes no distinction of a "cased" firearm in our statutes. If you are walking down the street with a firearm concealed in a gun bag, for example, you had BETTER have a valid CCW permit in your possession as well.

  3. #3
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Thanks. I was thinking about Illinois' only legal form(s) of carry and the fanny pack things popped up, so I wondered about MO.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Superlite27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    God's Country, Missouri
    Posts
    1,279
    I didn't know you carried a purse, Cash. You never had one at any of our Starbucks gatherings. You must have made some serious life choices since then.

  5. #5
    Regular Member cash50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    349
    Did I say purse? I meant satchel. Indiana Jones has one.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Southern MO
    Posts
    513
    Some call it a European shoulder bag. Have you seen the Geico commercial?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    613
    Murse.


  8. #8
    Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Overland, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    724

    Satchel / letter bag / man bag / man purse / whatever

    Quote Originally Posted by cshoff View Post
    It is DEFINITELY considered concealed, and you DO need a CCW to carry in a purse. The same thing applies to a fanny pack or other forms of off-body carry such as a computer bag, a brief case, etc. The State of Missouri makes no distinction of a "cased" firearm in our statutes. If you are walking down the street with a firearm concealed in a gun bag, for example, you had BETTER have a valid CCW permit in your possession as well.
    You know the state code better than I. Isn't their something in there about a firearm only considered illegaly case carried if "readily capable of use" ie loaded or with ammunition at the ready? I know their are there are some jurisdictions that have OC transport laws that I use to OC on a motorcycle that have the "readily capable laws".

    Doc


  9. #9
    Regular Member cshoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    , Missouri, USA
    Posts
    687
    Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    You know the state code better than I. Isn't their something in there about a firearm only considered illegaly case carried if "readily capable of use" ie loaded or with ammunition at the ready? I know their are there are some jurisdictions that have OC transport laws that I use to OC on a motorcycle that have the "readily capable laws".

    Doc

    I believe you are referring to RSMO 571.030.1 (1) and 571.030.3 where it states, in part:

    571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:

    (1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use;
    .
    .
    .
    3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible.......<snip>

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •