• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Phoenix axes gun safety message signs...

GWbiker

"Why has Phoenix banned gun safety ads?"
Phoenix examiner.com October 22nd, 2010 8:54 am ET.

"The city of Phoenix, in an apparently arbitrary move and without formal legal process, has forced CBS Outdoors to tear down 50 illuminated bus-shelter billboards under contract to promote gun safety training for children and their parents," gun law author Alan Korwin's email alert begins.

The posters were placed by TrainMeAZ.com, a commercial joint-educational effort of the firearms industry in Arizona, and had been up all over the Phoenix metro area for a little over one week before the city acted.

Who (besides rabid anti-gunners who preach denial and avoidance to "feel safe," of course) could be against gun safety training? Especially in a state with so many gun owners carrying openly and concealed?

And who has authority to interfere in freedom of expression this way?

Apparently Assistant Phoenix city attorney Ted Mariscal thinks he does.

[He] claimed in a conference call with Mr. Korwin and CBS Outdoor that the billboards weren't commercial enough, the message was too vague, and then demanded the message be changed to his satisfaction. When pressed for a definition of what is either sufficiently commercial or what defines a public service ad he declined to respond...

A Ninth Circuit abortion ad decision and a city leasing agreement are cited as the authority the city can wield to suppress the ads. The thing is:

No lease agreement has been provided, and the city apparently has no definitions in place, apparently leaving Mr. Mariscal to act on his own unfettered accord. Nothing in the city's advertising guidelines, provided by Mr. Mariscal, appear to justify the censored ads.

This is arbitrary tyranny. It is nothing less than un-American, and Mariscal, who like all public officials took an oath of office attesting his fidelity to the Constitution, ought to be ashamed of himself.

That he's not, that he would even conceive of doing this and then acting on it, shows him unfit for office. As is his boss, City Attorney Gary Verburg, for letting him get away with this outrage, instead of firing him as an example to anyone else in the office who would dare such an outrage.

Securing the blessings of Liberty. Right.

What could be more dangerous to freedom than some unaccountable mandarin deciding which ideas are proper for public dissemination and which must be suppressed through government coercion? Where do these salivating authority-firsters come from?

And where's the ACLU?

6L6GC

So they just rolled over

and did what he said? I think that they should have told him to stick it in his ear. As long as nobody stands up to these petty tyrants they will just get worse and worse. Refusing to buckle under to his senseless demands would have put the ball back in his court and he would have had to put up or shut up.

If the city attorney had legal standing to censure the first amendment rights of CBS Outdoors he would have had to produce it in court. If he didn't then he could just go abuse himself.

Jack House

This true? Says email alert. I always take those things with a bucket of salt.

If so, then... http://www.joystiq.com/2010/01/08/chicago-transit-authority-cant-ban-game-ads-judge-rules/

The case ultimately ended in Rockstar's favor. I can't remember what the whole outcome was, whether it was the court decided in Rockstar's favor or CTA was just like 'oh crap, we're about to get our balls busted' and settled. I can't find any links to the end of the trial and I'm about to go shower so I can go buy my first gun, so...

GWbiker

UPDATE - signs are being rewritten to convey advertisement message. I suppose the city thought viewers were too stupid to clearly see gun safety signs pointed toward gun safety training for a fee.

Sonora Rebel

Ted Mariscal should be fired and Gary Verburg repremanded for not minding his own store. If he approved of it... his ass should be on the pavement as well. 'Looks like some bedwetting Bradyite got their panties inna wad and went a'snivlin'. 'Guns & CHILDREN?' OMG! Trust me... that's all they see.

Phoenix Public Transit Department spokeswoman Marie Chappel: "Like maybe the veterans ads that went up this week on city buses? Those ads, taken out by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, advertise a suicide prevention hotline and website for veterans – which is an important thing."

But do the ads comply with the city policy which says “The subject matter of transit bus, shelter and bench advertising shall be limited to speech which proposes a commercial transaction”?

Chapple says yes.

“We consider that a commercial ad and here's why: Veterans are employees of the Veterans Administration and we do allow employee-type ads up like recruitment etc.,” she said. “This is a benefit package to them which is a compensation for their work, There's no statement about it. They are promoting a compensation.”

Veterans are not 'Employees of the Veterans Adminstration. Are 'Taxpayers' employees of the IRS? Christ onna crutch... this is what's being uttered by supposedly educated people? Comprehension and Conmmon Sense 101 should be a new course of study.

Michigander

Phoenix is such a cultural cluster **** that this doesn't surprise me. You see people walking down the street with swords from time to time, and there are no guns signs posted at stores across the valley. Coming from Phoenix, this doesn't surprise me.

I believe it shows the importance of open carrying in Arizona all the more, now. Especially since anyone 21 and up can conceal. I can forsee within 2 years it becoming extremely common in Arizona to have store employees asking people to cover it up, since they'll know they can. Not that many people in Phoenix OC to begin with.

Sonora Rebel

Nobody can demand that you 'cover it up'. They can ask you to leave or say nothing at all.

since9

Campaign Veteran
So Ted's leveraging his decision to remove advertising supporting gun safety based on an abortion ruling by the 9th Circuit court?

Why would Ted attempt to squash efforts which target the saving of innocent lives, particularly those of children? Political move? How many children have to die in support of the advancement of his career?

Seriously, sometimes politicians, even mini-politicians such as prosecuting attorneys, haven't a clue as to the adverse effects of their decisions.

Put the signs back up!

GWbiker

At this time the city has refused to back down. Lawyer's are lining up on our side. More to come -- stay tuned. THIS will not slowly fade away.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Maybe such evil tyrannies should set to example by summary execution?

Maybe a gun safety class could prevent that by explaining that you can't just go kill people even when they very clearly are traitors...

Nah.... Let them have their way.... :p