• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

law enforcement school teaching wrong info.

kdt1970

My son came home and told me his law enforcement teacher (WJ police officer) told him that it is against the law for a concealled carry holder to carry in a school and the principle said the same.
this is obviously wrong, what are all your thoughts about this.

kdt1970

No, he was told that he (the officer) would arrest anyone with a firearm in the school that you cannot be in a school with a firearm even with a permit.

aadvark

This is incorrect, and is a Blatant Violation of Utah Law.

Utah Law states:
76-10-505.5. Possession of a...Firearm..., on or about School Premises..., Penalties.
(1) A Person may not possess any Firearm..., as th[at] term [is] defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about School Premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
(b) Possession of a Firearm...,on or about School Premises is a class A misdemeanor.
(3) This Section does not apply if:
(a) The Person is Authorized to Possess a Firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise Authorized by Law.

Both Utah State Law 76-10-523 AND Federal Law 18 U.S.C 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) exempt Utah Permit holders from 'School Zone Firearm-Free Zones' throughout Utah.

JoeSparky

Centurion
This is incorrect, and is a Blatant Violation of Utah Law.

Utah Law states:
76-10-505.5. Possession of a...Firearm..., on or about School Premises..., Penalties.
(1) A Person may not possess any Firearm..., as th[at] term [is] defined in Section 76-10-501, at a place that the person knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is on or about School Premises as defined in Subsection 76-3-203.2(1).
(b) Possession of a Firearm...,on or about School Premises is a class A misdemeanor.
(3) This Section does not apply if:
(a) The Person is Authorized to Possess a Firearm as provided under Section 53-5-704, 53-5-705, 76-10-511, or 76-10-523, or as otherwise Authorized by Law.

Both Utah State Law 76-10-523 AND Federal Law 18 U.S.C 922(q)(2)(B)(ii) exempt Utah Permit holders from 'School Zone Firearm-Free Zones' throughout Utah.

Just for completeness... and not to reflect negatively upon Aadvark in any way.

Utah laws Section 53-5-704 and 53-5-705 are Utah's Concealed carry statutes. 704 is the 5 year permit and 705 is the temporary EMERGENCY permit section. Utah's Concealed carry statutes ALLOW those with a permit to conceal BUT DOES NOT REQUIRE CONCEALMENT!
Section 76-10-523 Specifies WHO IS EXEMPT FROM FIREARMS LAWS, includes Concealed carry permit holders and JUDGES, LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICERS, and others.
Section 76-10-511 absolutely specifies that one may possess a loaded firearm in the residence OR TEMPORARY ABODE (like a tent if camping).

Section 76-10-505 allows ANYONE age 18 or older who is not otherwise prohibited from possessing a firearm and in legal possession of a vehicle or with permission of the vehicle owner (if a passenger and not driver) to possess a loaded handgun either concealed or openly WHILE IN THE VEHICLE.

utbagpiper

Banned
I've PM'ed the OP asking for some additional details so that I can better help to correct this situation.

Please check your PMs and respond to me as soon as possible.

Thanks

Charles

kdt1970

Ok, I haven’t received an email back yet but, they figured out who it was (my son)(not to hard) and apologized to my son for giving him wrong information.