• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon Concealed Handgun License

RangerAv8r

I've not posted here for quite awhile but I have something that may interest some of you. Is there anybody here that is interested in obtaining and Oregon CHL? If so, post up. I have an avenue that may be of assistance.

RangerAv8r

The Grant County, OR Sheriff is very amicable to granting OR CHLs to Washington residents. Generally one has to travel to the county (an eight-hour drive from Tacoma) to turn in the application and fees and only on Wednesdays. Sheriff Palmer will be visiting Vancouver, WA sometime prior to Christmas and offered to meet me there for application turn in, photos, and electronic fingerprints. He also mentioned that it would be great if there were more than the 8-10 that showed up last time he did this. After sending emails back and forth I've volunteered to pass the date (to be determined) to those interested. I am an NRA Instructor and can even provide a block of training including the handgun safety portion required by OR law in order to make application though if one has documentation of training they would not need it from me.

Tomas

Vancouver is closer than most of Oregon, so if I can make it I will.

A little firm-up on the date/time/location and cost and we should be able to get some folks lined up to show up.

Hopefully there will be enough lead time on the notice for folks to make plans.

Let us know right here in this thread. :)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Or...

you can do this

http://www.mdgunsafety.com/

The Grant County, OR Sheriff is very amicable to granting OR CHLs to Washington residents. Generally one has to travel to the county (an eight-hour drive from Tacoma) to turn in the application and fees and only on Wednesdays. Sheriff Palmer will be visiting Vancouver, WA sometime prior to Christmas and offered to meet me there for application turn in, photos, and electronic fingerprints. He also mentioned that it would be great if there were more than the 8-10 that showed up last time he did this. After sending emails back and forth I've volunteered to pass the date (to be determined) to those interested. I am an NRA Instructor and can even provide a block of training including the handgun safety portion required by OR law in order to make application though if one has documentation of training they would not need it from me.

RangerAv8r

I'm not sure of the date yet.

And I may not be for awhile; remember this is at his convinience. You guys can try the Maryland online course if you want but take a look at ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and determine if you think it will work. Also look through Oregon Firearm Laws to find all the requirements and the Grant County Application. I'll provide the date when I get it and I may be available to provide the training but I am only providing this post for updates to when the Sheriff will make himself available in our state. It is the responsibility of anyone wishing to apply for an Oregon CHL to ensure they have the correct application, credentials, and a way to get to wherever he decides to meet you or the group.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
And I may not be for awhile; remember this is at his convinience. You guys can try the Maryland online course if you want but take a look at ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and determine if you think it will work. Also look through Oregon Firearm Laws to find all the requirements and the Grant County Application. I'll provide the date when I get it and I may be available to provide the training but I am only providing this post for updates to when the Sheriff will make himself available in our state. It is the responsibility of anyone wishing to apply for an Oregon CHL to ensure they have the correct application, credentials, and a way to get to wherever he decides to meet you or the group.

Since I have my CHL from Sherrif Palmer from Grant County and used the www.mdgunsafety.com for my requirement I am sure it will work.

Tawnos

Any chance he can get a little closer to Seattle area than Vancouver? It's hard to justify the trip down, but I will go if that's as close as he can get :)

Stretch

I too used the Maryland course, and have obtained my Oregon CHL. Best of luck to all going!

krazichinaman

I too would like to get my Oregon CHL. I have taken the online course mentioned earlier as well as an NRA safety handgun class from FAS. If we can get a firm date, location and cost it would be great!

onlurker

For pictures, what does one need for a qualifying picture? Sort of like a passport photo or something or are photos taken at the time of application?

Last edited:

knight_308

I'm very interested. I'd prefer if it was closer to Seattle, but if there's any way for me to make it, I will. I need date / time / cost. My form's already filled out and I have my MD safety printout. :).