• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oregon Concealed Handgun License

samaloney2006

I've not posted here for quite awhile but I have something that may interest some of you. Is there anybody here that is interested in obtaining and Oregon CHL? If so, post up. I have an avenue that may be of assistance.

I live in Hawaii (Washington resident). A few months ago I traveled from Oak Harbor WA. to Colorado to visit my brother. I had serious truck troubles on the way. Seemed OK on the way back. I went through Portland to visit #2 stepson. I was going to drop down to Grant County but did not trust my truck just yet. So I skipped going there. My point in all this talk is let me/us know as soon as possible where, when etc. If all goes well I want to be there. Also I took an online gun course which is acceptable in Oregon from the Maryland Police Training Commission (at least that is what I am told).

Lucky_Dog

The Maryland on line course is what I used 2 weeks ago.
He will take your pics and prints and check, cash or money order is acceptable for payment. He cannot take credit or debit cards as he has no way to process them.

It only took 11 days for mine to arrive. That includes 4 weekend days and 1 holiday.

Lammo

And I may not be for awhile; remember this is at his convinience. You guys can try the Maryland online course if you want but take a look at ORS 166.291 (Issuance of concealed handgun license) and determine if you think it will work. Also look through Oregon Firearm Laws to find all the requirements and the Grant County Application. I'll provide the date when I get it and I may be available to provide the training but I am only providing this post for updates to when the Sheriff will make himself available in our state. It is the responsibility of anyone wishing to apply for an Oregon CHL to ensure they have the correct application, credentials, and a way to get to wherever he decides to meet you or the group.

Any chance we could get him to visit the dry side? Our nearby Cabela's (Post Falls, ID) offers the Oregon training in conjunction with their Utah CFP classes. I'm sure we could get enough people together to make the trip worthwhile for the Sheriff.

OlGutshotWilly

Campaign Veteran
I will start taking the course, and get the other requirements done. If there is anyway I am free on the date you pick I will do this.

Thanks for the offer.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
Any chance we could get him to visit the dry side? Our nearby Cabela's (Post Falls, ID) offers the Oregon training in conjunction with their Utah CFP classes. I'm sure we could get enough people together to make the trip worthwhile for the Sheriff.

Lammo,

An email from you and a place nearer the OR/WA border (tri cities?) and he might do it if you publicize it on this and/or other forums for the dry siders. I am not saying an official email, but perhaps a personal one.

Remember all, Sheriff Palmer does this on his free time because he believes in the 2nd amendment and he is raising funds for his department.

Stretch

About the price: When we went down, it was cash acceptable for the county but ONLY a check for the state background check. Someone may want to verify that from the GCSO directly and post that info here.

Good luck!

Lucky_Dog

I saw the sheriff on October 9th 2010 and he took all cash. He has a new electronic system and can take cash, check or money order. He cannot take credit or debit cards.
He can and will accept cash for the full amount.

Lammo

Lammo,

An email from you and a place nearer the OR/WA border (tri cities?) and he might do it if you publicize it on this and/or other forums for the dry siders. I am not saying an official email, but perhaps a personal one.

Remember all, Sheriff Palmer does this on his free time because he believes in the 2nd amendment and he is raising funds for his department.

Thanks gogo. I'll see if we can generate enough interest and put something together. Take care!

ronclark

I been lurking around and saw this, so i joined.
I would be interested too and i am sure my brother will be too

jdk

+2

You can count myself and my girlfriend in. I had my OR. lic. till I moved back across the river.