Thread: Out of state concealed carry permits

Out of state concealed carry permits

Hello,

I'll be visiting Colorado in December and am trying to find info about your oc/cc handgun laws. I open carry here in WI as we have no concealed carry option. Do you have any links to an overview of your state laws, and possibly local laws for Ft. Collins? Is it possible to obtain an out of state concealed carry permit on that short of notice?

Thanks,
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Hello,

I'll be visiting Colorado in December and am trying to find info about your oc/cc handgun laws. I open carry here in WI as we have no concealed carry option. Do you have any links to an overview of your state laws, and possibly local laws for Ft. Collins? Is it possible to obtain an out of state concealed carry permit on that short of notice?

Thanks,
    Geoff

here is what i found with google Geoff, have a good trip

http://csp.state.co.us/faq_Guns.html
    http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbys...gunlaws_co.htm

micki

It appears that there are no out of state permits, so I'll have to look into which states have reciprocity with Co.

Geoff

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Hello,

Thanks,
    Geoff
    Do not believe that Colorado issues non-resident permits.
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Colorado is generally a friendly open carry state - beware of Denver.
    http://www.opencarry.org/co.html
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Geoff,

I just moved here from WI a little over a month ago. The only way to CC here with an out of state permit, is if you were a resident of that state in which you have a permit from, such as Utah, Michigan, Florida, and probably others.

I have yet to apply for my CC permit since I moved here. I just don't have the money to buy the permit. So instead, I've OCed everywhere I've gone since I got here.

You can CC or OC in your car without a permit. Without a permit, you can OC pretty much anywhere that Colorado laws would let you CC (if you had a valid permit). When storing the vehicle in your car, you can just store it in a locked compartment. I throw mine in the glove box and then lock it when I can't carry it (still loaded and in the OC holster).

Otherwise, these seem to be the only places off limits:
    -Places prohibited by federal law
    -K-12 school grounds (keep in mind the 1000 foot Federal gun free school zone law)
    -Facilities with security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices permanently in place at every entrance
    -Facilities with security personnel electronically screening (such as handheld devices)
    -Facility of public transportation
    -Chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or a building in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted
    -School, college, or university grounds (unless you have a valid CC permit)
    -On a Snowmobile
    -Prohibiting Private Businesses
    -Denver (and Denver County), Arvada and Breckenridge prohibit open carry

Unlike Wisconsin, you can carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol (without having permission from the owner). I've carried in Rocky Mountain National Park quite a few times, even right next to a sheriff and park ranger who didn't say anything to me.

Here's a link that will provide you with pretty much everything you need to know:
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.co....rmgo.org/faq/

Enjoy your trip!
    Last edited by logan; 10-23-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    Logan - Laugh lots, Love Often, and Defend the Irreplaceable
    Walther PPS 9mm, Ruger LCP
    CC permits: MN, FL, NH, PA and CO

Member of:
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc., Rocky Mountain Gun Owners, and National Rifle Association

Hello,

Thanks,
    Geoff
    CO doesn't do non-res permits(yet!), and only accepts resident permits from reciprocal states. Since your state (WI) has no permit, then you can't CC in CO. A case is underway (Peterson v. Lacabe) that works to compel CO into issuing non-resident permits.