• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Out of state concealed carry permits

Geoff

Hello,

I'll be visiting Colorado in December and am trying to find info about your oc/cc handgun laws. I open carry here in WI as we have no concealed carry option. Do you have any links to an overview of your state laws, and possibly local laws for Ft. Collins? Is it possible to obtain an out of state concealed carry permit on that short of notice?

Thanks,
Geoff

lttlreddvlnChesVa

Hello,

I'll be visiting Colorado in December and am trying to find info about your oc/cc handgun laws. I open carry here in WI as we have no concealed carry option. Do you have any links to an overview of your state laws, and possibly local laws for Ft. Collins? Is it possible to obtain an out of state concealed carry permit on that short of notice?

Thanks,
Geoff

here is what i found with google Geoff, have a good trip

http://csp.state.co.us/faq_Guns.html
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/p/gunlaws_co.htm

micki

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hello,

Thanks,
Geoff

Do not believe that Colorado issues non-resident permits.
http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/USReciprocity.pdf

Colorado is generally a friendly open carry state - beware of Denver.
http://www.opencarry.org/co.html

logan

Campaign Veteran
Geoff,

I just moved here from WI a little over a month ago. The only way to CC here with an out of state permit, is if you were a resident of that state in which you have a permit from, such as Utah, Michigan, Florida, and probably others.

I have yet to apply for my CC permit since I moved here. I just don't have the money to buy the permit. So instead, I've OCed everywhere I've gone since I got here.

You can CC or OC in your car without a permit. Without a permit, you can OC pretty much anywhere that Colorado laws would let you CC (if you had a valid permit). When storing the vehicle in your car, you can just store it in a locked compartment. I throw mine in the glove box and then lock it when I can't carry it (still loaded and in the OC holster).

Otherwise, these seem to be the only places off limits:
-Places prohibited by federal law
-K-12 school grounds (keep in mind the 1000 foot Federal gun free school zone law)
-Facilities with security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices permanently in place at every entrance
-Facilities with security personnel electronically screening (such as handheld devices)
-Facility of public transportation
-Chambers, galleries, or offices of the general assembly, or a building in which a legislative hearing or meeting is being or is to be conducted
-School, college, or university grounds (unless you have a valid CC permit)
-On a Snowmobile
-Prohibiting Private Businesses
-Denver (and Denver County), Arvada and Breckenridge prohibit open carry

Unlike Wisconsin, you can carry in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol (without having permission from the owner). I've carried in Rocky Mountain National Park quite a few times, even right next to a sheriff and park ranger who didn't say anything to me.

Here's a link that will provide you with pretty much everything you need to know:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nTpaSaUeDugJ:www.rmgo.org/faq/

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

press1280

Hello,

Thanks,
Geoff

CO doesn't do non-res permits(yet!), and only accepts resident permits from reciprocal states. Since your state (WI) has no permit, then you can't CC in CO. A case is underway (Peterson v. Lacabe) that works to compel CO into issuing non-resident permits.