Thread: AP - Iowa cities cannot ban open & concealed carry in city halls

Moderator / Administrator

AP - Iowa cities cannot ban open & concealed carry in city halls

http://www.woi-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13357717

SNIP

Ottumwa scraps gun ordinance

Ottumwa has scrapped plans for an ordinance to keep firearms off city property because state law doesn't allow it.

. . .

City Attorney Tim Kintigh says the law says cities can't regulate possession or transportation of firearms beyond what the state does.

Iowa Law concerning Firearms is straight forward in that: 1. Unless you are in your own Home, Land, Property, of Place of Business, or Place of Employment, then 2. You can not have a Firearm in Public UNLESS you are in a Rural UnIncorporated Area of The State of Iowa that is not a City.

However, ONCE you have the Permit, then, you can Carry anywhere..., Openly or Concealed..., Loaded or Unloaded..., in a Motor Vehicle or on Foot..., EXCEPT Schools, per Iowa Code 724.4B.

Really..., Iowa is that Staright forward.

The ONLY Problem USED to be that Permits were 'May Issue' in Nature in that you MIGHT get one, you MIGHT not. However, effective January. 1, 2011, ALL NonProfessional Carry Permits ARE 'Shall Issue' in Nature.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    Iowa Law concerning Firearms is straight forward in that: 1. Unless you are in your own Home, Land, Property, of Place of Business, or Place of Employment, then 2. You can not have a Firearm in Public UNLESS you are in a Rural UnIncorporated Area of The State of Iowa that is not a City.

However, ONCE you have the Permit, then, you can Carry anywhere..., Openly or Concealed..., Loaded or Unloaded..., in a Motor Vehicle or on Foot..., EXCEPT Schools, per Iowa Code 724.4B.

The ONLY Problem USED to be that Permits were 'May Issue' in Nature in that you MIGHT get one, you MIGHT not. However, effective January. 1, 2011, ALL NonProfessional Carry Permits ARE 'Shall Issue' in Nature.
    Some are wetting themself that the Sheriffs won't be able to select who gets permits. It is not a problem in all the other shall issue states that join Iowa. IL and WI are the only two that don't have a carry law on the books. That will change soon!

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post

Keep in mind to that it's a weapons permit. You can carry any blade, handgun and/or long arm with a weapons permit. Some of the permits out there now are restricted to pistols only; however, in less than 2 months, all that goes away.

Sorry, Iowa, not trying to troll your thread here, but I had to post this.

The overwhelming majority of people in Michigan think that the Republicans are the magical party of guns, and the Democrats are gun grabbing fascists.

I read a link on www.MCRGO.org that lead me here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...y-with-gun-law

Specifically:
    In an unusual pairing, Democratic leaders in the Iowa House, Iowa Senate and governor's office sided with the National Rifle Association last session and not with the sheriffs association, which strongly opposed the gun legislation.

The NRA successfully fought to make Iowa a "shall issue" state, meaning that sheriffs in all 99 counties must follow the same rules for issuing gun permits. It's a gun bill that Republicans failed to move when they controlled the governor's office or Iowa Legislature.
    Did I just read that correct??

Activist Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slave View Post
    Sorry, Iowa, not trying to troll your thread here, but I had to post this.

The overwhelming majority of people in Michigan think that the Republicans are the magical party of guns, and the Democrats are gun grabbing fascists.

I read a link on www.MCRGO.org that lead me here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/art...y-with-gun-law

Specifically:

Did I just read that correct??
    Yep, we are pretty much an all Blue state and we still go that passed. Democrats knew if they didn't help pass this bill, come election time, they would be hurting very badly.
    Culver still didn't win, but quite a bit of the rest of the elected officials are still in there just because they didn't vote against this bill.

Well, gratz Iowa /respect