• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

AP - Iowa cities cannot ban open & concealed carry in city halls

aadvark

Iowa Law concerning Firearms is straight forward in that: 1. Unless you are in your own Home, Land, Property, of Place of Business, or Place of Employment, then 2. You can not have a Firearm in Public UNLESS you are in a Rural UnIncorporated Area of The State of Iowa that is not a City.

However, ONCE you have the Permit, then, you can Carry anywhere..., Openly or Concealed..., Loaded or Unloaded..., in a Motor Vehicle or on Foot..., EXCEPT Schools, per Iowa Code 724.4B.

Really..., Iowa is that Staright forward.

The ONLY Problem USED to be that Permits were 'May Issue' in Nature in that you MIGHT get one, you MIGHT not. However, effective January. 1, 2011, ALL NonProfessional Carry Permits ARE 'Shall Issue' in Nature.

SFC Stu

Iowa Law concerning Firearms is straight forward in that: 1. Unless you are in your own Home, Land, Property, of Place of Business, or Place of Employment, then 2. You can not have a Firearm in Public UNLESS you are in a Rural UnIncorporated Area of The State of Iowa that is not a City.

However, ONCE you have the Permit, then, you can Carry anywhere..., Openly or Concealed..., Loaded or Unloaded..., in a Motor Vehicle or on Foot..., EXCEPT Schools, per Iowa Code 724.4B.

The ONLY Problem USED to be that Permits were 'May Issue' in Nature in that you MIGHT get one, you MIGHT not. However, effective January. 1, 2011, ALL NonProfessional Carry Permits ARE 'Shall Issue' in Nature.

Some are wetting themself that the Sheriffs won't be able to select who gets permits. It is not a problem in all the other shall issue states that join Iowa. IL and WI are the only two that don't have a carry law on the books. That will change soon!

Jared

Keep in mind to that it's a weapons permit. You can carry any blade, handgun and/or long arm with a weapons permit. Some of the permits out there now are restricted to pistols only; however, in less than 2 months, all that goes away. :)

Slave

Sorry, Iowa, not trying to troll your thread here, but I had to post this.

The overwhelming majority of people in Michigan think that the Republicans are the magical party of guns, and the Democrats are gun grabbing fascists.

I read a link on www.MCRGO.org that lead me here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...hdog/Sheriffs-say-they-ll-comply-with-gun-law

Specifically:
In an unusual pairing, Democratic leaders in the Iowa House, Iowa Senate and governor's office sided with the National Rifle Association last session and not with the sheriffs association, which strongly opposed the gun legislation.

The NRA successfully fought to make Iowa a "shall issue" state, meaning that sheriffs in all 99 counties must follow the same rules for issuing gun permits. It's a gun bill that Republicans failed to move when they controlled the governor's office or Iowa Legislature.

Did I just read that correct??

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Sorry, Iowa, not trying to troll your thread here, but I had to post this.

The overwhelming majority of people in Michigan think that the Republicans are the magical party of guns, and the Democrats are gun grabbing fascists.

I read a link on www.MCRGO.org that lead me here:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...hdog/Sheriffs-say-they-ll-comply-with-gun-law

Specifically:

Did I just read that correct??

Yep, we are pretty much an all Blue state and we still go that passed. Democrats knew if they didn't help pass this bill, come election time, they would be hurting very badly.
Culver still didn't win, but quite a bit of the rest of the elected officials are still in there just because they didn't vote against this bill.