Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: Walmart wouldn't sell me ammo

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260

    Unhappy Walmart wouldn't sell me ammo

    walmart store 5070 at trop and fort apache today 2ish pm.

    Went in and got a handful of items to buy, then to the ammo section and asked for someone to help me buy some 9mm. The guy said he couldn't sell if I had a gun on me. I let him know that I bought here all the time while carrying, and that I'd like to speak with a manager. A shift manager came up and said that they couldn't sell me ammo, it was store policy. I again explained I shop there all the time. They called in loss prevention and I asked if the shift manager could get a store manager, who they said was on his way. I thought the LP guy was a store manager because he wasn't wearing a name badge and assumed at first when I asked if I bought rifle ammo would they allow that? He said he didnt see why not, I didnt have a rifle on me so no problem. The shift manager guy started telling me that it was against the law to sell to armed customers. I asked if it policy or against the law, that I buy ammo all around town, and they started to debate among themselves. "Well he can't even have that without his CCW can he?" "No he just needs his blue card to carry that". I let them know I've shopped walmarts all around town, and other ammo stores and that I've never had this problem before, and that I am fully aware of state and fed laws and that I'm not breaking any. I didnt argue the whole ccw/blue card nonsense, since nobody asked me if i had mine I just let them talk it out. The LP guy said I could just put it in my car and come back without it, to which i replied I preferred not. The co-manager Victor showed up (without a name badge on) and reiterated that they wouldn't sell ammo to me, and that it was store pol. I asked him if it was new, he said its always been their pol. I told him I plan to contact walmart corp. (again). He said I could bring a letter written by corporate in and be allowed to shop armed that way. He then said something to one of this other managers "has anyone called the police yet?" And my ears perked up. I said calmly with a smile "hey am I accused of a crime? There's no need for the police". Then all 7 or 8 of them (employee's, managers, loss prevention etc) agreed no, no reason to call the police. Then one of them, I think the co-manager Victor said something like "well you shouldn't even have been allowed in the store like that". So I asked is it because I'm buying pistol ammo, or I can't shop here at all? He said can't buy anything at all. I thanked them all for their time, informed them I was leaving without spending any money, planned on letting the "gun community" know about (you guys).

    Anyone know how to search for that walmart letter/thread. I know we've had these sort of posts before. I need to get a letter and just keep it with me apparently.


    ps. Went to rainbow/spring mountain and bought the same exact items (except winchester ammo, they were out of federal). It was like deja vu in the aisles because the two stores are arranged the same...so the 2nd time around I got all my vitamins and candles and stuff much faster =). Then I went to american shooters and while I didnt buy ammo, asked if they were aware of a no sales to armed customers law/pol. they said of course not, and i bought some socks there and chatted with a guy who competes USPSA with me tuesday nights.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Southwest Las Vegas
    Posts
    13
    I live pretty close to the ft apache and trop store. I will swing by in the next day or so, and test the waters.

  3. #3
    Regular Member Haz.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    I come from a land downunder.
    Posts
    1,227
    Quote Originally Posted by blugreenformula View Post
    I live pretty close to the ft apache and trop store. I will swing by in the next day or so, and test the waters.
    Hi Guys.

    I'm responding to this because I want to be notified of any further posts on it. Thanks, Regards, Haz.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Henderson, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    145
    FWIW, I OC at the Wal-mart in Henderson (Lake Mead/Boulder Hwy) all the time - often picking up a couple of boxes of ammo - and have never had an issue with any employee. The last time I purchased ammo was about a week ago, so my money's on this being a case of uninformed employees rather than a change in policy.

  5. #5
    Campaign Veteran
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
    Posts
    1,413
    Went shooting a few weeks ago and picked up about 2000 rounds from Walmart at Charleston & Decatur. And you all know I OC everywhere. When I go shooting in the desert I also wear bright clothing, so my Glock was readily noticeable, no question. No problems at all. I even had to walk around for a bit looking for a sales person to help me - it was early, about 5:30 or 6a - and everyone was friendly. No problems at the ammo counter or at the front when I checked out with other items.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Not even an Hour Ago, I was at Wal-Mart, Spring Mountain and Rainbow, My girlfriend was OCing with my .40 and me with my 1911 I was OCing my 1911, I purchased a box of 100 .40 S&W, a box of 100 .45 ACP and a box of 100 .223 REM and the only thing they asked was that I pay in electronics since the SG register was closed for the night.

    The only thing that I thought was odd was a sign that claims that handgun ammo sales were restricted to customers over 21 and rifle ammo over 18 siting federal law but not quoting a statute for either restriction. my understanding was ammo sales of any type only required the customer to be 18 years of age or over. Am I mistaken?

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    , ,
    Posts
    63
    I OC in the walmart on Ft. Apache and Trop all the time, **** one time I had an odd perchase of 4 boxes of 9mm, deoderant, a movie, and condoms, haha, no one even batted an eye. I thought it was funny as hell.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    my understanding was ammo sales of any type only required the customer to be 18 years of age or over. Am I mistaken?
    Federal law restricts purchasers of ammo for handguns to be 21. When you buy .22 ammo the clerk (usually chain stores such as Wal-mart) will ask if it is for a rifle or pistol. Ammo such as .40 is assumed to be for handguns and requires the buyer to be 21. For rifle ammo (30-06 etc.) the purchaser has to be 18 by Federal law.

    The question will pop up on the register for the clerk to enter the info so they don't have to know what to ask but are prompted. I bought a knife at Wal-Mart and the fellow running the register stopped, looked at me sort of funny and asked, "Now you are at least 16 aren't you"? We both broke out into laughter.
    Last edited by PT111; 10-24-2010 at 08:59 AM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    132
    What if you tell them the 40 is for a keltec sub 2000 or an AR chambered in 40?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by paintsnow View Post
    What if you tell them the 40 is for a keltec sub 2000 or an AR chambered in 40?
    Then it is rifle ammo. The clerk probably will have no idea what you are talking about when you tell them that and will argue. If you are just telling them that so you can buy it you are breaking the law by buying it for a handgun and you are under 21. The registere may be programmed not to allow .40 to be purchased by anyone under 21. There are a lot of different possibilities. Try it and see then report back here how much trouble you had. If I was the clerk and you came up with that story I would be tempted to call BS on it but in order to provide good customer relations I would probably allow you to get away with it.

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerfish View Post
    I OC in the walmart on Ft. Apache and Trop all the time, **** one time I had an odd perchase of 4 boxes of 9mm, deoderant, a movie, and condoms, haha, no one even batted an eye. I thought it was funny as hell.
    Just be careful now dangerfish...they didnt like me for some reason. Like my OP said, I bought there dozens of times no problem...this one time however I had like 6 or 7 managers come down to talk to me and they wouldn't. I'll work on getting that letter from Corp. and post it up here when I do.

  12. #12
    Activist Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Reno, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111 View Post
    Then it is rifle ammo. The clerk probably will have no idea what you are talking about when you tell them that and will argue. If you are just telling them that so you can buy it you are breaking the law by buying it for a handgun and you are under 21. The registere may be programmed not to allow .40 to be purchased by anyone under 21. There are a lot of different possibilities. Try it and see then report back here how much trouble you had. If I was the clerk and you came up with that story I would be tempted to call BS on it but in order to provide good customer relations I would probably allow you to get away with it.
    Technically, it is only illegal for a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver to sell handgun ammo (or handguns) to someone under 21. For a seller other than the type listed the buyer has to be over 18.

    The purchaser himself doesn't appear to break the law.

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2883584/HandgunLaw.pdf

  13. #13
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...hlight=walmart

    Walmart
    Policy is to follow the law of the state the store located.
    Customer Service1-800-Wal-Mart
    (1-800-925-6278) Questions regarding a Wal-Mart Store issue
    702 SW 8th Street
    Wal-Mart Stores, Inc.
    Bentonville, Arkansas 72716-8611


    Email contact link:
    http://walmartstores.com/contactus/feedback.aspx

    Audio of Walmart Policy: Walmart_Firearm_Policy_Call.mp3
    Last edited by protias; 10-25-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

  14. #14
    28kfps
    Guest
    I E-mailed the wal-mart corporate office last night. I wanted the corporate office to know their actions were being watch by a large number of pro gun customers. I gave them a quick rundown of what happened from what I read on the post. I received a phone call from the assistant manager Mike from the store today. Said he reviewed the law and policy and he was apologizing for the actions of the employees, said come on in, and purchases your ammo wearing your sidearm anytime. The employees had a refresher course on how to sale ammo.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Granite State of Mind
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by 28kfps View Post
    The employees had a refresher course on how to sale ammo.
    I hope they got a refresher on courtesy to customers, too.

    The best comeback (it probably won't work, but it would be fun to watch their circuits sizzle) is to ask how they know whether or not customers are armed when they buy ammo.

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    28kfps - was that mike from the trop/fort apache store you talked to? #5070? or a diff one?

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, NV
    Posts
    2
    Long time lurker, first time poster...

    This issue also popped up at Rainbow & 215 (store no. 4356; Manager Lynne Leckie) in the middle of last month.
    I was told by the SG guy that I couldn't purchase ammo while carrying and that it was a policy that the manager had sent down.
    I was in a rush to meet some friends for a shoot, so I stashed the gun and picked up the ammo and didn't make a fuss about it.

    Conversely, I did OC to the store on Decatur & 215 on the way to CSSP and the old guy working the SG counter gladly sold me a bunch of WWB. Although, a younger guy who was also at the SG desk tried to call his higher-ups to see if it was okay for customers to carry, to which you could almost see his disappointment when the person on the other end of the line told him that it wasn't an issue, leaving him with nothing to say to me about it.
    Paid for my ammo, and went merrily on my way to cssp

  18. #18
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    1
    I shop at that same Trop & Ft. Apache Walmart about twice a week, always OCing, and have done so for eight months. Never had any problems, even while buying ammo.

    I have to go there later today to pick up some things; we'll see how it goes.

  19. #19
    28kfps
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostlittlerobot View Post
    28kfps - was that mike from the trop/fort apache store you talked to? #5070? or a diff one?
    Yes, mike at 5070. He said he reviewed his information and he was sorry the customer had an unpleasant experience and did said come on in and buy your ammo with your legally carried sidearm anytime.
    Last edited by 28kfps; 10-26-2010 at 11:35 PM.

  20. #20
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I would have probably replied that I did not understand what the problem was because the gun I was carrying was already completely full of ammo and I wouldn't be able to put any more in it even if they did sell it to me.

    Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.
    actually i did say that my gun was already full...can't fit more (didnt say the stupid part lol). One of the non managers i heard in the back say scarcastically laughing "damn, his logic is flawless!"

  21. #21
    Regular Member Gunslinger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Free, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    3,855
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    I would have probably replied that I did not understand what the problem was because the gun I was carrying was already completely full of ammo and I wouldn't be able to put any more in it even if they did sell it to me.

    Unfortunately you can't fix stupid.
    You read my mind :> I was just about to post the same thing. Like, "the gun is already loaded so if I was going to shoot someone I would have already." Of course, you may need a reload...

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Sun Valley
    Posts
    15
    Bump: Definately would like this letter when it is posted.

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    UK prison island.
    Posts
    21
    Good work to you on this thread that fought for your rights and Wal-Mart seeing reason.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada, USA
    Posts
    260
    Talked with manager Sara today about this situation. They say a-ok to sell ammo now, but they don't prefer it. I'm in the process of getting a letter, so when this happens again I can have that with me and avoid this. She said walmart doesn't have people come in with guns...and they don't like them...and that she herself called the police when I was in the store on the 23rd. I didn't know they had called the police, I heard them talk about it...but one of them actually did. Made some comment about costco and how everyone's on edge since that happened...the whole conversation was less than satisfying, though she did say I can buy ammo, they just didn't sound sincere in their apology for the mistake.

    She was very dismissive about me calling, as if she'd already talked to me before (she assumed that i was 28kfps I guess) and that I had "blasted" the store on the internet for this. Maybe my OP comes off as blasting? I didnt think it did...but I'm definitely blasting now.

    Do we maybe want to do a walmart meetup? Since they never have guns in their store? With todays shooting in reno...maybe a terrible idea? Odd timing of it all. That shooting makes me more convinced in wanting to be armed while shopping in walmarts (well I carry everywhere for that exact reason..bad can happen everywhere), how about you?

  25. #25
    Founder's Club Member protias's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    SE, WI
    Posts
    7,319
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostlittlerobot View Post
    Talked with manager Sara today about this situation. They say a-ok to sell ammo now, but they don't prefer it. I'm in the process of getting a letter, so when this happens again I can have that with me and avoid this. She said walmart doesn't have people come in with guns...and they don't like them...and that she herself called the police when I was in the store on the 23rd. I didn't know they had called the police, I heard them talk about it...but one of them actually did. Made some comment about costco and how everyone's on edge since that happened...the whole conversation was less than satisfying, though she did say I can buy ammo, they just didn't sound sincere in their apology for the mistake.

    She was very dismissive about me calling, as if she'd already talked to me before (she assumed that i was 28kfps I guess) and that I had "blasted" the store on the internet for this. Maybe my OP comes off as blasting? I didnt think it did...but I'm definitely blasting now.

    Do we maybe want to do a walmart meetup? Since they never have guns in their store? With todays shooting in reno...maybe a terrible idea? Odd timing of it all. That shooting makes me more convinced in wanting to be armed while shopping in walmarts (well I carry everywhere for that exact reason..bad can happen everywhere), how about you?
    I'm pretty sure all the Walmart stores received the corporate memo about not infringing upon people's right to carry.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

    If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

    I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •