• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anyone have this pistol? Hi-Point C9 Comp

K

kittyhawk63

FWIW I would choose another gun for an OC/CCW piece. The C9 is in no better terms "clunky" in feel, finish, recoil etc etc.

It is what it is, a cheap some what reliable 9mm. But not something I would want to carry everyday, or shot often with its recoil.

I may be biased (because I own one) but I would look at the Ruger P95, you can get them brand new for $299 at Great Outdoors in Redding (they actually have a used one with decock only, and without the built in rail, for $249 as I type this), its a good reliable gun. I have over 2000 trouble free rounds through mine, and it eats everything from wolf to 147 grain HP's. It has had one fail to eject in its lifetime (my wife limp wrist-ed it the very first time she shot it). Other than that it has a flawless record in being reliable.

I would trust my Ruger to go bang every time, and it fills the role of a cheap reliable OC pistol well. It also happens to be built well and the finish is leaps and bound above the C9. Depending on your stature it should work OK for CCW, I'm a bigger guy and its a little to big to conceal well without printing.

Im in the Redding area often, just shoot me a PM if your interested in checking out the Ruger in person. We could run out to Iron Mt. road and put some rounds through it.

CamSoup,
Thank you for your input. I may take you up on your offer.
kh63

K

kittyhawk63

C9 is great for the money. Mine never had problems, but I took a Dremel to my feed ramp and tweaked the mag lips before I took it to the range.

It is clunky, but it is also reliable.

Thank you Thundar. It seems so far that more owners of these firearms have a more positive evaluation than the owners with a negative evaluation.

K

kittyhawk63

If any of you are interested in buying the Hi Point C9 or Hi Point CF380 for a CCW, they may no longer be allowed to be sold new next year, starting 10/11/2011.

See: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp This link is no good. See link below.
The site states:
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Handgun models will be removed from the roster on the list expiration date unless the manufacturer renews the listing prior to the list expiration date.

Here is the posting for the Hi Points:
C9 / Polymer, Zinc Alloy, Chrome Moly Pistol 3.5" 9mm 10/11/2011
CF380 / Alloy, Zinc, 4130 Barrel Pistol 3.5" .380 ACP 10/11/2011

There is a drop down list showing what other firearms will be included in this list. I used the two above only because they relate to the Hi Point.

This link works.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Last edited:

inbox485

Review here:

https://sites.google.com/site/inbox485/Home/firearms/hi-point-c-9

If you really want one, you could do worse (no gun at all), but they have a habit of being paperweights out of the box, so make sure you get it sorted out before trusting it. Once you get the feed issues hammered out and find a load that works well with it, you have about 2K rounds before the firing pin channel galls out and the slide will have to be replaced to prevent constant light primer strikes. I've also found that loads with the shorter OAL's feed better.

CenTex

Kittyhawk63 has unsubscribed from the OCDO forum. I reckon you guys and gals will continue this thread should you find it informative.

MK

I have a couple of C-9's and carry one in my vehicle at times. I have never encountered any problems with either of them. They've been very reliable. However, there are reports of accidental discharge with this weapon due to the firing pin coming in contact with the ammunition primer when live rounds are manually ejected from the chamber.

Here is a thread from the Hi Point Firearms forum with a first hand report of this accident happening as well as other input in comments relative to the potential for this occurance.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,35088.0.html

When these firearms were gifted to me from my father in law and before I knew about this, I actually had one of my loaded C9's taken out of my vehicle by a law enforcement officer who got into my vehicle when I was stopped and removed it from that vehicle during a sobriety checkpoint stop. The officer seemed to have difficulty working the slide on my firearm in order to unload it while I was being detained at a field sobriety test location and swept me twice as well as sweeping other officers standing around me with it while he was jacking around with it. I did warn him that the firearm was loaded when he removed it from the holster but I wasn't familiar with this specific potential hazard at the time. I know now to warn anyone immediately before they handle this personal firearm of mine.

Statkowski

Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
If any of you are interested in buying the Hi Point C9 or Hi Point CF380 for a CCW, they may no longer be allowed to be sold new next year, starting 10/11/2011.

See: http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/safeguns_resp.asp This link is no good. See link below.
The site states:
Effective January 1, 2001, no handgun may be manufactured within California, imported into California for sale, lent, given, kept for sale, or offered/exposed for sale unless that handgun model has passed firing, safety, and drop tests and is certified for sale in California by the Department of Justice. Private party transfers, curio/relic handguns, certain single-action revolvers, and pawn/consignment returns are exempt from this requirement.

Handgun models will be removed from the roster on the list expiration date unless the manufacturer renews the listing prior to the list expiration date.

Here is the posting for the Hi Points:
C9 / Polymer, Zinc Alloy, Chrome Moly Pistol 3.5" 9mm 10/11/2011
CF380 / Alloy, Zinc, 4130 Barrel Pistol 3.5" .380 ACP 10/11/2011

There is a drop down list showing what other firearms will be included in this list. I used the two above only because they relate to the Hi Point.

This link works.

http://certguns.doj.ca.gov/

Amazing. Only in California would the very same model handgun be safe one year and not safe the following year simply because the manufacturer refused to comply with the state's extortion.

inbox485

I have a couple of C-9's and carry one in my vehicle at times. I have never encountered any problems with either of them. They've been very reliable. However, there are reports of accidental discharge with this weapon due to the firing pin coming in contact with the ammunition primer when live rounds are manually ejected from the chamber.

Here is a thread from the Hi Point Firearms forum with a first hand report of this accident happening as well as other input in comments relative to the potential for this occurance.

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,35088.0.html

When these firearms were gifted to me from my father in law and before I knew about this, I actually had one of my loaded C9's taken out of my vehicle by a law enforcement officer who got into my vehicle when I was stopped and removed it from that vehicle during a sobriety checkpoint stop. The officer seemed to have difficulty working the slide on my firearm in order to unload it while I was being detained at a field sobriety test location and swept me twice as well as sweeping other officers standing around me with it while he was jacking around with it. I did warn him that the firearm was loaded when he removed it from the holster but I wasn't familiar with this specific potential hazard at the time. I know now to warn anyone immediately before they handle this personal firearm of mine.

Part of that issue (aside from using a firing pin for an extractor) is the use of a stronger firing pin spring to compensate for a galled out firing pin channel. The whole keeping your muzzle pointed at something your willing to destroy rule is relative, but it is most literal when doing administrative manipulations. A lot of firearms can breach detonate a round if it is cycled just wrong.

Amazing. Only in California would the very same model handgun be safe one year and not safe the following year simply because the manufacturer refused to comply with the state's extortion.

You can thank the NRA's persistent meddling in SAF cases for it's continued existence.

greatsimon

9mm

i shot a few of them, i personly dont like them, although i can get them for about 90 bucks last i checked, but they are made not to far from where i live. but personly i would only get one if there was no possible way to get a better gun. i do like that they have life time warrenties though,

AbNo

If you really want one, you could do worse (no gun at all), but they have a habit of being paperweights out of the box, so make sure you get it sorted out before trusting it. Once you get the feed issues hammered out....

As a reminder, ANY firearm usually has a break-in period.

My XD-40 had a break-in period. My 1911 had a break-in. These two are my carry guns now that they are properly worn-in. The C9 is no exception.

I really wish people would quit bashing a functional (and pretty damn ugly) piece of American manufacturing.

ANY weapon is a paperweight out of the box until it's been put through the paces.

Besides, if you're going to trust your life to it, you'd want to test it a bit first.

Plus, it's a great reason to go to the range, if you're into that sort of thing (needing a reason, that is!). :banana:

inbox485

As a reminder, ANY firearm usually has a break-in period.

My XD-40 had a break-in period. My 1911 had a break-in. These two are my carry guns now that they are properly worn-in. The C9 is no exception.

I really wish people would quit bashing a functional (and pretty damn ugly) piece of American manufacturing.

ANY weapon is a paperweight out of the box until it's been put through the paces.

Besides, if you're going to trust your life to it, you'd want to test it a bit first.

Plus, it's a great reason to go to the range, if you're into that sort of thing (needing a reason, that is!). :banana:

Just an FYI, I have a tad bit more experience with C-9's than break in troubles. I have two C-9's with close to 2k rounds each. I think I have enough experience, breaking them in, using them, troubleshooting them, figuring out which ammo types will and won't work, training with them, etc to bash them plenty. If it is the only gun you will ever likely be able to afford, you could do worse, but as far as getting a gun goes for anybody that might actually do a certain amount of shooting, buying a C-9 for anything other than a range toy is a waste of money that could have gone towards either ammo or a better gun.

Mitsukumi8

I wish I had read more before buying a Hi Point C9

After cycling some rounds through to inspect proper cycle, I reloaded my clip and closed the slide on my Hi Point C9. Little did I know, it would be the worst mistake in my entire life. There are a lot of things I should of done differently, and number one is, I should of been in the appropriate place to do so. I was facing towards my wall in my house. My brother was laying on a couch to my left. When the slide slammed shut, my gun was pointed left. The gun discharged and struck my brother in the middle of his neck. I personally think using the firing pin as an extractor is HORRIBLE. ALL of my bullets were pinged by the firing pin. I did not know this until it was shown to me by forensics. I only have a miracle and god to thank that my brother is still here and ALIVE. His spine was shattered, and a fragment of bone lodged into his spinal cord. He is now a quadriplegic with limited function of his arms/hands. To say I ****** UP, would be a huge understatement. Looking back, I know every little thing I did wrong. Do not for one second get complacent about your firearms. NEVER treat it as if it were unloaded. I have always done so, and it only takes the ONE TIME. I do NOT suggest buying this gun as a cheap alternative.

AbNo

After cycling some rounds through to inspect proper cycle, I reloaded my clip and closed the slide on my Hi Point C9. Little did I know, it would be the worst mistake in my entire life.

Oh boy, here we go!

I was facing towards my wall in my house. My brother was laying on a couch to my left. When the slide slammed shut, my gun was pointed left. The gun discharged and struck my brother in the middle of his neck.

Why would you want to shoot your brother? That's the only reason I can think of for you to be pointing a gun at him in the first place.

I personally think using the firing pin as an extractor is HORRIBLE.

What? WHAT?

ALL of my bullets were pinged by the firing pin. I did not know this until it was shown to me by forensics.

No, you're wrong. Either you misunderstood them, or you were lied to. I'm not sure which.

I only have a miracle and god to thank that my brother is still here and ALIVE. His spine was shattered, and a fragment of bone lodged into his spinal cord. He is now a quadriplegic with limited function of his arms/hands.

I do NOT suggest buying this gun as a cheap alternative.

So let me get this straight.

You pointed a gun at your brother.

You pointed a loaded gun at your brother.

You pointed a loaded gun at your brother, WHILE YOU WERE MESSING WITH IT.

You, in your own words, "****** UP"....

And it's the gun's fault?

Last edited:

1245A Defender

Wowwy!!!

After cycling some rounds through to inspect proper cycle, I reloaded my clip and closed the slide on my Hi Point C9. Little did I know, it would be the worst mistake in my entire life. There are a lot of things I should of done differently, and number one is, I should of been in the appropriate place to do so. I was facing towards my wall in my house. My brother was laying on a couch to my left. When the slide slammed shut, my gun was pointed left. The gun discharged and struck my brother in the middle of his neck. I personally think using the firing pin as an extractor is HORRIBLE. ALL of my bullets were pinged by the firing pin. I did not know this until it was shown to me by forensics. I only have a miracle and god to thank that my brother is still here and ALIVE. His spine was shattered, and a fragment of bone lodged into his spinal cord. He is now a quadriplegic with limited function of his arms/hands. To say I ****** UP, would be a huge understatement. Looking back, I know every little thing I did wrong. Do not for one second get complacent about your firearms. NEVER treat it as if it were unloaded. I have always done so, and it only takes the ONE TIME. I do NOT suggest buying this gun as a cheap alternative.

I will call Total B.S. on your "STORY"!

Hi points are the New American Saturday Night Special.
They are an improvement on the old Ravens and Jennings.
They are very basic semi auto pistols.
The striker/firing pin is not the extractor, it is the ejector!
If you cycle rounds through the action, the firing pin will leave a mark on the primer, but wont set it off.
Even if you had the trigger pulled while you racked the slide, the gun would not have fired!
The trigger disconnect would have stopped that from happening.

YOU MUST have PULLED the TRIGGER... AGAIN... after the slide was closed in order for the gun to go off!!!

Hi points have a history of being unreliable, but.... NEVER!.. a claim of going off when thay shoudnt...

inbox485

I will call Total B.S. on your "STORY"!

Hi points are the New American Saturday Night Special.
They are an improvement on the old Ravens and Jennings.
They are very basic semi auto pistols.
The striker/firing pin is not the extractor, it is the ejector!
If you cycle rounds through the action, the firing pin will leave a mark on the primer, but wont set it off.
Even if you had the trigger pulled while you racked the slide, the gun would not have fired!
The trigger disconnect would have stopped that from happening.

YOU MUST have PULLED the TRIGGER... AGAIN... after the slide was closed in order for the gun to go off!!!

Hi points have a history of being unreliable, but.... NEVER!.. a claim of going off when thay shoudnt...

I would have to second this one. I for one have settled on the side of thinking that C-9's are a waste of perfectly good ammo funds, but when I noticed the pin marks on the primer, I deliberately racked the slide as vigorously as I could to see if I could get a round to go off. It comes nowhere near. The round can't contact the pin untill the case has been removed from the chamber. The pin NEVER contacts when chambering a round. Doesn't even matter if the trigger is back when you close the slide, the pin is locked back until you pull the trigger after the sear has reset on a closed chamber. Either this entire story is a complete lie, or just the part left out about pulling the trigger while pointing it at another person was a lie. That means either this guy is a troll, or he shot his brother out of shear stupidity and negligence and lied about it to a pretty ignorant investigator.

RikuNoganashi

I had a C9 comp for about two weeks, I got it from a gun shop nearby that had just gotten it back from the company due to issues with it jamming and the mag dropping when you racked the slide back. The company, which I cant fault, their warranty on any Hi-Point is incredible, had just replaced all the upper and sent two free mags back with it, as an apology for the inconvenience. I bought it for about one twenty, tried it out that day, had about twenty of the fifty rounds either stovepipe or fail to eject. I thought it might just be a break in thing, so I put another fifty rounds through, had about thirty of them jam or fail to eject. after two weeks of working with this gun, as well as getting the range instructor to try it, just to eliminate me from the equation, it failed to eject every single shot for fifty rounds. I dont recommend this gun for anyone needing a self defense gun, though the forty five caliber version has yet to give me a single problem.

Thats my two cents about Hi-Point, Thanks for reading.

BOOMcat12B

Allright while I have never owned a C9 I have owned the JHP. It was the first pistol I bought and I wish I still had it, but considering their price I can always pick up another one when I get round to it. I hear alot of trash talk about the Hi-Point pistol (not here but in general) and I think alot of it is just from folks who think that the higher end pistols are the all mighty... Here is a short review I did of the JHP after I first got it that I posted on another forum-

I recently purchased a Hi-Point .45 ACP Model JHP for $215 with tax. I am not real familiar with the Hi-Point brand but from the reviews I have read they are a decent maker for their price range. It is a polyemer frame full sized .45, it has adjustable rear sights and a ghost ring sight that can be changed out with the standard rear open sights. So far I have fired roughly 150 rounds or so through it, and have performed sevral stress drills using this weapon. I really do not have any compliants aside from 1 jam while performing a rapid fire target acqustion drill. I fired 3 rounds and when the weapon went to feed in the 4th round into the chamber, the round went in facing up causing the jam. Easy fix though time consuming. I bought it for home defense so the most rounds this thing will ever see is probably clsoe to a hundred every 6 months or so just ot stay familiar with it. Weapon feels right in my hand (though if you do not like full sized .45's you will feel uncomfaterble with this style grip) Low recoil due to its frame and the heaviness of the weapon. I had my girlfreind fire some 20 rounds through it and she had no problems and had a decent shot group. All in all this is a nice weapon for home defense or to carry in the truck or pack if you CCW and prefer a biger caliber. Though i will say if you are doing the CCW thing then go with something smaller and smoother like a Glock .45 or a similiar style. I would not suggest using this pistol for a target gun or a weekend shooter. But have it in the house and if it is ever needed it will preform and you can depend on it in a crunch.

Now this was back when I was just getting into carrying and learning about ammo types and the like... Since this review I probably put around 1500 plus rounds through it and only had a few problems before I polished the feed ramp... A nifty trick I learned over on their forum. Basically take apart the pistol and take a dremel a very slowly and gently polish the feed ramp a nice little shine. Alot of the feeding problems with their pistols come from the mags... They are not that good. So this little trick helps the round slide easier into the chamber and is a simple quick fix that will take care of alot of the feeding problems you hear about. Also if you ever try to search for the stress test that folks have tried to put the Hi-Points through it is ridiculous what these pistols will withstand before failing. Other than the mags I have no complaints about Hi-Point...They make a great gun and their customer service is un surpassed.

I did OC it for awhile before I picked up my Ruger SR40C and found it to be rather heavy ride on the hip..But not uncomfortable. I would of trusted my life with it.

AbNo

Hi points have a history of being unreliable

I've owned a 995 for about four or five years now, and, to paraphrase you, "I will call Total B.S. on" what you've said there.

Mine's been perfectly fine since I got it.

No, wait, I take it back. I had two rounds that didn't go fully into battery, out of over 1,000. They fired fine, and I didn't even notice until I saw the brass later.

So, yeah, please spare all of us the tired second-hand stories from "my brother's friend's sister's husband's boyfriend". :rolleyes:

....I polished the feed ramp... A nifty trick I learned over on their forum. Basically take apart the pistol and take a dremel a very slowly and gently polish the feed ramp a nice little shine.

I did this to my XD and 1911, too. The cycling feels smoother.