• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so is this false bravado, or standing up for myself?

1FASTC4

MKE,

I can say I gave you my opinion without bias. I think the people being critical of me and saying things like I"got it wrong" have a pro OC agenda and were not looking at the scenario objectively.

Let me preface by saying I am Pro- constitution all the way, and am no different about the second amendment. I believe in the right, your right, to arm yourself as you deem necessary to feel capable of defending yourself and others. Also, I am glad you did not take my critical view as a personal attack. Points for you!

To the point.

Let us consider some of the possible outcomes to the scenario:

One outcome is the one you mentioned. Perhaps one of the only good outcomes.

There seems to be lots of bad ones possible.
A: They see an armed stranger approaching them and they arm themselves as well.
What if the encounter actually ended in a gun fight? Even if they initiate the gunfight, you are in a tight spot.. legally speaking. You may have been within your legal rights to carrry your weapon, but the DA's office is going to consider that YOU initiated contact and that you were armed. If there were no witnesses readily available you would, assuming you survive, be faced with their story against yours. Obviously they are not going to admit they started the gunfight... and it's back to the fact that you initiated contact. Some who like to argue may say something like "there is nothing illegal about initiating contact." They're right, but a DA's office is going to consider that you approached these people at night, on their property, wearing dark clothes, and armed. The other party's story won't be that you nicely came up and politley asked them to turn down the music. They are going to say you came up yelling and screaming... maybe brandishing. Even if you don't get convicted, going through the legal process is a big PITA.

B: They see a darkly dressed stranger approaching, in the dark while armed, and they call the police.
Sure you haven't broken any laws, but has this stopped MKE and other WI departments from affecting a DO arrest?
What if the other party says you came onto their property and refused to leave? You have already admitted being there, and it's going to be their(the victims') story against yours. A bad spot to be in....trespassing while armed. Yep, you'll probably beat it(but maybe not. innocent people DO get convicted), but you may have to go through some legal process and it's a PITA. You may not get your gun back for quite a while. When it does come back, it may be in a plastic bag and covered with tons of fingerprint powder, inside and out.(Trust me on this one)

C: They see the gun and get defensive, tell you to go pound sand. Then you are left with alienated neighbors who may be the type to do something about it.. slash tires, rocks through windows... take your pick of several annoying harrassments.

D: Instead of just some inconsiderate dudes hanging around, they are genuine thugs. Sounds like you were fairly close to them... at the sidewalk of a very short driveway. Could you have drawn, acquired a sight picture and fired if they unexpectedly moved against you? You don't really know. Neither do I, to be honest. It would suck to find out, either way.

Ultimately, I feel that there are too many possible bad outcomes over such a small thing as loud music. I say small compared to... life and limb.

"I wager you would not have had the same response had you been concealed carry."
This translates to: You intimidated them into turning down their music.
Is that the person you want to be? Just about all of us have played their music too loudly at one point or other in our lives. Just about all of us turned it down without the intimidation of a gun. Most of us apologized to the unarmed person and then we turned our music down.

Since you were scared, and since there were many possible bad outcomes, I think the prudent thing to do would be to let the cops handle it. You can even tell the cops "Hey, I don't want to make trouble for anyone, I just want them to turn their music down."

Last edited:

SFCRetired

Quite frankly, I don't think the presence of the gun even entered their minuscule brains. What defused the situation was two related elements; MKEgal was polite and she gave off an aura of self-confidence.

1. I have found, over many years, that the old saying about honey attracting more flies than vinegar has a lot of truth to it. People will usually, and I stress usually, respond much better to polite requests than they will to brusque orders.

2. I have also found, over those same years, that giving off that aura of self-confidence seems to have the effect of "He/she must know what he/she is talking about, so I think I will comply with their request."

That she went over there armed contributed greatly to the air of self-confidence and was, under the circumstances and in her neighborhood, a prudent thing to do.

Calling the police over loud music, raucous parties, etc., is always, with me, a last resort.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Have you never played your music too loudly?

Have you ever FAILED to respond politely to a REASONABLE request from anyone to Reduce the volume of your music when you were informed it was OBJECTIONABLE? I don't think I am in the minority here and I can say; "NO, I haven't failed to MODIFY MY ACTIONS," to the previous question!

MKE, You did just fine!

1FASTC4

I didnt ask if he modified his actions. I asked if he ever played music too loudly. It's a simple "yes" or "no" question.

Last edited:

Justincase

Have you ever FAILED to respond politely to a REASONABLE request from anyone to Reduce the volume of your music when you were informed it was OBJECTIONABLE? I don't think I am in the minority here and I can say; "NO, I haven't failed to MODIFY MY ACTIONS," to the previous question!

MKE, You did just fine!

I guess I might have missed it, but what are you referring to as the REASONABLE request that the offending parties did not oblige to?

oak1971

Lots of folks piling on here, wonder if they considered the whole situation or are just running off of preconceived notions? Thing is, they weren't there. Don't know the neighborhood or any other intangibles that the OP does know. I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.

KBCraig

I think the people being critical of me and saying things like I"got it wrong" have a pro OC agenda and were not looking at the scenario objectively.
I think everyone here has a pro-self-defense agenda. In Wisconsin, OC is the only legal option for going armed.

Tomas

MKEgal, I think you did just fine.

You know your situation, neighbors, and neighborhood much better than I (or most of the other folks here), since I've probably never been even close to it.

I'll trust your judgment of correct action much more than I will trust the comments of folks who were not there. :)

Carry on!

mohawk001

"I think everyone here has a pro-self-defense agenda."

I don't agree with that based on these following quotes:

"Another thing to consider: Had you walked over there unarmed and alone, would the people you encountered have been so willing to oblige in a civil manner?"

"Two thumbs up MKEgal. I wager you would not have had the same response had you been concealed carry."

"silent moderator at your side makes for pleasant encounters!"

So people are using the weapons for intimidation, not self-defense according to the way people word things. Great way to represent. If you want to influence how people react when you are the one going up to them, then it is intimidation you are after. I'm not saying the OP had that reasoning, but the support they are getting from some is leaning that way.

oliverclotheshoff

i used to play my music way to loud and polite requests usually ended in me saying F_off and go to H_ll it would take a police visit normally to get me to comply but that was when i was an invincible know it all kid now i dont put myself in that situation for some reason i realized how stupid and disrespectful i used to be

so MKE you did good

1FASTC4 there are alot of people who dont or refuse to get a hint (i used to be one)so a little freind to show that you are not helpless never hurts to have around and if that friend is a 6 foot 6 UFC fighter or and handgun it doesnt matter she was doing what she normally does and that is OC for her protection

apjonas

The Most Important Thing To Remember

None of the individuals approving your action will be there to help you if and when things go south.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I wouldn't have done it; but I'm not you.

The biggest reason that I would refrain is the possibility that they'd call the police, lie, and say you threatened them with the gun to turn down the music.

I would have walked over there minus the side arm and just asked politely; but once again, I'm not you.

JMHO

JoeSparky

Centurion
1fastc4, don't fake quotes!

I didnt ask if he modified his actions. I asked if he ever played music too loudly. It's a simple "yes" or "no" question.

1FASTC4, in your post numbered #27 on this FORUM you have identified something as a quote by me THAT I HAVE NOT SAID OR TYPED INTO THIS THREAD! I WOULD THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO NEVER AGAIN REPEAT THIS ACTION AS IT IS ABSOLUTELY DISHONEST TO CLAIM ONE HAS SAID SOMETHING WHEN THEY HAVE NOT DONE SO.

Please correct your behavior! and edit your post to reflect what I actually said or eliminate the quote!

JoeSparky

Centurion
I guess I might have missed it, but what are you referring to as the REASONABLE request that the offending parties did not oblige to?
I was trying to suggest the possiblity that the neighbors with the loud music MAY NOT have realized that their music was objectionable and when they were informed it was by a neighbor THEY MODIFIED THEIR BEHAVIOR AS MANY A GOOD NEIGHBOR HAS.

paul@paul-fisher.com

1FASTC4, in your post numbered #27 on this FORUM you have identified something as a quote by me THAT I HAVE NOT SAID OR TYPED INTO THIS THREAD! I WOULD THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO NEVER AGAIN REPEAT THIS ACTION AS IT IS ABSOLUTELY DISHONEST TO CLAIM ONE HAS SAID SOMETHING WHEN THEY HAVE NOT DONE SO.

Please correct your behavior! and edit your post to reflect what I actually said or eliminate the quote!

It is actually against the forum rules as well.

(16) NO FALSE ATTRIBUTIONS: Editing quoted posts by another member to make it appear as if they said something other than what they intended will NOT be tolerated!

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

1FASTC4

I just paraphrased your non-answer. I think I did so accurately, so I won't change it.