Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38

Thread: hunters/outdoorsman beware!

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Janesville, Wisconsin, United States
    Posts
    115

    hunters/outdoorsman beware!

    Kinda interesting how many times groups and gvt entities have tried to remove personal weapons from park lands and refuges. Yet apparently outdoorsman are supposed to "be careful" and do their detective work for them.

    http://www.gazettextra.com/weblogs/l...ers-watch-pot/

  2. #2
    Regular Member oak1971's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    1,937
    They have these things called airplanes now, I've been told they work great for spotting stuff like that.

    Unreal...

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dousman, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    101
    I saw something about this in the Journal Sentinel... then i laughed. Armed pot growers camping in huts in late November? doubt it... Your probably more likely run into a meth lab.

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    They are admitting that law enFORCEment efforts are overwhelmed.

    California's illicit pot (contra licensed) crop is estimated to be more valuable than its US$ 14 Billion wine crop.

    California is empirical evidence that drug law liberalization is the fast slide to the Third World.

  5. #5
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    So now they want all of to be rats. How about the school of thought that says MYOB....
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  6. #6
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    They'll use this as an excuse to siphon more money from the tax payers to continue to fight the war they've already lost.

  7. #7
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    This, I would say, is a more precise divide between post-modern American 'liberal' and 'conservative', the liberals eagerly embrace, 'inhale' as it were, Third World cultural status in the name of their personal vices.

  8. #8
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281
    Maybe the state could get a bunch of WAVE volunteers to hunt down all of this pot that they claim is out there.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

  9. #9
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fond du Lac Wisconsin
    Posts
    171
    Drug cartels may be branching out to other areas of the US. They would have no problem capping your butt and leaving your carcus for the wolves and other critters. Be awhere of your surroundings!
    The people who buy drugs get the money through burgulary and robbery. Some of us may become victims. Why not help eliminate "the source" so that we may never need to use or firearms.

  10. #10
    bhancock
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    So now they want all of to be rats. How about the school of thought that says MYOB....
    Pot growers are some of the friendliest people I know so I am not too worried about them. If the DNR has us doing the dirty work it puts us at more risk so they had better loosen the restrictions on disarming us.

    Yes it is the Meth labs and careless hunters I am way more concerned about. That and the concern over the shakedowns and being arrested for crossing the line of some regulation I happened to not be aware of. You can reason with some 'criminals', there is no reasoning with most LEO, If they take the time to come see you, they likely are already planning on citing or warning you for something they have observed you doing, paraphrased from a local conservation officer, he just wants you to tell the truth to back up his observations.

    I f the law would get back on the side of the law abiding, the law abiding may be more cooperative which would make their jobs much easier.

  11. #11
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    I f the law would get back on the side of the law abiding, the law abiding may be more cooperative which would make their jobs much easier.
    Well said, they want us to risk our hides for their benefit, until they value our right more I say we MYOB if we see something suspicious.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  12. #12
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    I'll be sure and mind my own business when I see your window broken.

  13. #13
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193

    Angelo Codevilla's 'Character of Nations'

    Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Well said, they want us to risk our hides for their benefit, until they value our right more I say we MYOB if we see something suspicious.
    "In the ancient republics, military service was synonymous with citizenship, and rightly so, because the ultimate practical quesiton in public life anywhere is, Who will uphold the laws, arms in hand, at the risk of his life? Even in the ancient world, especially in Carthage, the argument was made that other kinds of contributions -- especially money -- could be just as valuable to the community; therefore, so goes the argument, such contributions entitle those who make them to as full a voice in civic life as those with military service. But this is most convincing to those who have not given or are not about to give up the best years of their lives to the discomfort and danger of military service."

    This thesis leads immediately to military enfranchisement, perhaps as conceived by Robert Anson Heinlein in Starship Troopers in 1959 (no, not the stupid cartoon-ish movie).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_troopers

  14. #14
    bhancock
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I'll be sure and mind my own business when I see your window broken.
    Doug that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The way I see it they are two different kind of crimes. In example of the window being broken, that is a crime against your personal property and possibly even your life. I would likely catch all the details I could and contact you personally, leaving it up to you whether or not you desired a police investigation. For all I know you may have a patch growing in the back yard and really wouldn't want the police snooping about your business. On the other hand a random growth on some public land I will likely avoid just as I may avoid a bad neighborhood. If I would run into the proprietors, who knows, I would probably avoid the gun fight and possible retribution by pulling a Schultz, I see nutting' I hear nutting' and hopefully walk away to live another day. Armed confrontation miles from civilization against AK's just ain't my cup of tea, let em get busted on the street corner when they're selling to the school kids. There is a difference between a crime against a person and property as compared to a crime against public policy and preference.

  15. #15
    bhancock
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Peacekeeper View Post
    Drug cartels may be branching out to other areas of the US. They would have no problem capping your butt and leaving your carcus for the wolves and other critters. Be awhere of your surroundings!
    The people who buy drugs get the money through burgulary and robbery. Some of us may become victims. Why not help eliminate "the source" so that we may never need to use or firearms.
    #1 I have a brother who has used pot for 40 years and has never robbed or stolen a dime from anyone. He is also one of the most charitable and helpful people I know.
    #2 You will never, ever eliminate the source, in fact the operation of even trying to creates much violence and desperation. Just examine prohibition and the state of Mexico right now. There has to be a better solution.

  16. #16
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    Doug that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The way I see it they are two different kind of crimes. In example of the window being broken,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parable..._broken_window

    Self-discipline?
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 10-24-2010 at 06:36 PM.

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Fond du Lac Wisconsin
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by bhancock View Post
    #1 I have a brother who has used pot for 40 years and has never robbed or stolen a dime from anyone. He is also one of the most charitable and helpful people I know.
    #2 You will never, ever eliminate the source, in fact the operation of even trying to creates much violence and desperation. Just examine prohibition and the state of Mexico right now. There has to be a better solution.
    When the source is violent criminal gangs I still feel that it needs to be eliminated as much as possible. However, I understand and mostly agree with what you are saying - there has to be a better solution!

  18. #18
    Regular Member Hunting Mama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Not deep enough in the Woods, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    92
    If the DNR wants us to look out for pot fields and report it, they should be paying us for being out there. Instead they take our money for license fees, take away our rights and want to use us. Government - enough said.

  19. #19
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    I'll be sure and mind my own business when I see your window broken.
    Well Doug if you ever come here to the top of the hill and see my broken window I hope you stay long enough to enjoy a bottle of homemade wine.
    Last edited by johnny amish; 10-24-2010 at 08:05 PM.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  20. #20
    Regular Member Krusty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Trempealeau County, Wisconsin
    Posts
    281
    All I will say on the issue is, if I'm going to play DEA agent, I need my paycheck in advance! I have no use for the stuff.
    IF YOU WANT TO BURN OUR AMERICAN FLAG, PLEASE WRAP YOURSELF UP IN IT FIRST...

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Minocqua, Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    179
    This isn't mom and pops growing the weed up here. These are criminals, some with connections to mexican gangs and illegal aliens. Recently just south of Rhinelander a field of 130 plants was found on private land and just south of Minocqua 150 plants were cultivated in the state forest. There's been a lot more. We have big drug problems up here with meth, heroin and rx drugs being some of the worst. How the hell do I know what I'm coming across in the woods when I'm hiking with my dog. I don't give a rats a$$ about what someone grows for their own personal use. I don't care if you use it. But what's going on in the forests are criminals using public land and most likely, have the means to defend it. I love it up here and I'm not going to let the criminals ruin it for me or anyone else. And you idiots that are defending this don't have a clue as to whats going on. Some of you are so f'n hypocritical. You get angry when the some cops harass you for doing something legal - carrying, yet you don't want to raise a hand to bring attention to someone doing something illegal. I'm sick of this group. There's been times I've avoided it due to the petty bickering but I don't think I've ever been so angry as I am now. What's wrong with you, approving of people breaking the law and wanting someone like me just looking the other way? Do you actually think that if you or I came across a guarded grow or lab, the criminal would also look the other way and let bygones be bygones?
    I have never written a post like this but this topic really hits home. I am always out in the woods and I always have a gun on me or with me. Thank God I can do that. I'm not afraid to be out there, but gun or not, I don't stand a chance against the criminals manufacturing drugs up here. I'm grateful that most of us up here would do the right thing and report it.

  22. #22
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbersmom View Post
    . What's wrong with you, approving of people breaking the law and wanting someone like me just looking the other way? .
    Some of us believe a victimless crime should not be a crime.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  23. #23
    Regular Member JerryD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    central Wisconsin
    Posts
    120
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Some of us believe a victimless crime should not be a crime.
    It wont be a victimless crime when you come across one of these fields when someone is tending it and they don't know your feelings and they do whatever they can to stop you from telling about their operation.


    When cartels use our public lands to finance their criminal activities it no longer is a victim less crime.
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

  24. #24
    bhancock
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobbersmom View Post
    This isn't mom and pops growing the weed up here. These are criminals, some with connections to mexican gangs and illegal aliens. Recently just south of Rhinelander a field of 130 plants was found on private land and just south of Minocqua 150 plants were cultivated in the state forest. There's been a lot more. We have big drug problems up here with meth, heroin and rx drugs being some of the worst. How the hell do I know what I'm coming across in the woods when I'm hiking with my dog. I don't give a rats a$$ about what someone grows for their own personal use. I don't care if you use it. But what's going on in the forests are criminals using public land and most likely, have the means to defend it. I love it up here and I'm not going to let the criminals ruin it for me or anyone else. And you idiots that are defending this don't have a clue as to whats going on. Some of you are so f'n hypocritical. You get angry when the some cops harass you for doing something legal - carrying, yet you don't want to raise a hand to bring attention to someone doing something illegal. I'm sick of this group. There's been times I've avoided it due to the petty bickering but I don't think I've ever been so angry as I am now. What's wrong with you, approving of people breaking the law and wanting someone like me just looking the other way? Do you actually think that if you or I came across a guarded grow or lab, the criminal would also look the other way and let bygones be bygones?
    I have never written a post like this but this topic really hits home. I am always out in the woods and I always have a gun on me or with me. Thank God I can do that. I'm not afraid to be out there, but gun or not, I don't stand a chance against the criminals manufacturing drugs up here. I'm grateful that most of us up here would do the right thing and report it.
    I am not defending the wholesale sell out of our public lands or private for that matter. One of the big points is you say you always have a gun on you and thank God you can do that, point is if you follow the law you can't do that. The DNR and DEA want us to join the fight disarmed in State Parks, County Parks and other forested areas like fisheries and preserves. You can bet I am not defending the ruthless Drug Cartels and their operations but I am also not going to make myself a target informant when I will get no protection from law enforcement. Most of who I would run into are local growers trying to earn a little spending money, like the fellow caught on the deer cam in Vernon County who turned himself in when his picture was printed in the paper. Minoqua may be a different story, I don't live in that area. I am also not defending the Meth labs, in fact I said they are of great concern because you are dealing with a whole different criminal profile. I am saying that I would be more than willing to cooperate with law enforcement if they would give the law abiding a fair shake all the time across the board. I some cases that I have helped law enforcement, I have also become a suspect because of the knowledge I had and how I obtained that knowledge. 130-150 plants are a very small operation, likely not organized crime, yes I do think they should be growing it on their own land not yours, mine or public. As you stated your bigger problems are with Meth and Heroin, again a whole different more aggressive, dangerous, violent and desperate criminal profile.

  25. #25
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    Eventually, someone is always a victim of a crime. We may not agree with a law, but if we don't abide by it, we are no better than those we blast for not respecting our rights.

    An illegal drug operation is a dangerous game and who is going to play by "the rules"? It's anything goes for the criminal. Beware I can see why Cobbersmom is upset. This is nothing to play around with. And yes, maybe there is a better solution. But, until then....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •