• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

hunters/outdoorsman beware!

oak1971

They have these things called airplanes now, I've been told they work great for spotting stuff like that.

Unreal...

OCglock1988

I saw something about this in the Journal Sentinel... then i laughed. Armed pot growers camping in huts in late November? doubt it... Your probably more likely run into a meth lab.

Peacekeeper

Drug cartels may be branching out to other areas of the US. They would have no problem capping your butt and leaving your carcus for the wolves and other critters. Be awhere of your surroundings!
The people who buy drugs get the money through burgulary and robbery. Some of us may become victims. Why not help eliminate "the source" so that we may never need to use or firearms.

B

bhancock

So now they want all of to be rats. How about the school of thought that says MYOB....

Pot growers are some of the friendliest people I know so I am not too worried about them. If the DNR has us doing the dirty work it puts us at more risk so they had better loosen the restrictions on disarming us.

Yes it is the Meth labs and careless hunters I am way more concerned about. That and the concern over the shakedowns and being arrested for crossing the line of some regulation I happened to not be aware of. You can reason with some 'criminals', there is no reasoning with most LEO, If they take the time to come see you, they likely are already planning on citing or warning you for something they have observed you doing, paraphrased from a local conservation officer, he just wants you to tell the truth to back up his observations.

I f the law would get back on the side of the law abiding, the law abiding may be more cooperative which would make their jobs much easier.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Angelo Codevilla's 'Character of Nations'

Well said, they want us to risk our hides for their benefit, until they value our right more I say we MYOB if we see something suspicious.
"In the ancient republics, military service was synonymous with citizenship, and rightly so, because the ultimate practical quesiton in public life anywhere is, Who will uphold the laws, arms in hand, at the risk of his life? Even in the ancient world, especially in Carthage, the argument was made that other kinds of contributions -- especially money -- could be just as valuable to the community; therefore, so goes the argument, such contributions entitle those who make them to as full a voice in civic life as those with military service. But this is most convincing to those who have not given or are not about to give up the best years of their lives to the discomfort and danger of military service."

This thesis leads immediately to military enfranchisement, perhaps as conceived by Robert Anson Heinlein in Starship Troopers in 1959 (no, not the stupid cartoon-ish movie).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_troopers

B

bhancock

I'll be sure and mind my own business when I see your window broken.

Doug that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison. The way I see it they are two different kind of crimes. In example of the window being broken, that is a crime against your personal property and possibly even your life. I would likely catch all the details I could and contact you personally, leaving it up to you whether or not you desired a police investigation. For all I know you may have a patch growing in the back yard and really wouldn't want the police snooping about your business. On the other hand a random growth on some public land I will likely avoid just as I may avoid a bad neighborhood. If I would run into the proprietors, who knows, I would probably avoid the gun fight and possible retribution by pulling a Schultz, I see nutting' I hear nutting' and hopefully walk away to live another day. Armed confrontation miles from civilization against AK's just ain't my cup of tea, let em get busted on the street corner when they're selling to the school kids. There is a difference between a crime against a person and property as compared to a crime against public policy and preference.

B

bhancock

Drug cartels may be branching out to other areas of the US. They would have no problem capping your butt and leaving your carcus for the wolves and other critters. Be awhere of your surroundings!
The people who buy drugs get the money through burgulary and robbery. Some of us may become victims. Why not help eliminate "the source" so that we may never need to use or firearms.

#1 I have a brother who has used pot for 40 years and has never robbed or stolen a dime from anyone. He is also one of the most charitable and helpful people I know.
#2 You will never, ever eliminate the source, in fact the operation of even trying to creates much violence and desperation. Just examine prohibition and the state of Mexico right now. There has to be a better solution.

Peacekeeper

#1 I have a brother who has used pot for 40 years and has never robbed or stolen a dime from anyone. He is also one of the most charitable and helpful people I know.
#2 You will never, ever eliminate the source, in fact the operation of even trying to creates much violence and desperation. Just examine prohibition and the state of Mexico right now. There has to be a better solution.

When the source is violent criminal gangs I still feel that it needs to be eliminated as much as possible. However, I understand and mostly agree with what you are saying - there has to be a better solution!