Thread: Don't tell mom

Don't tell mom

I am writing this while eating crow. As many of you know I have been a long time 1911 fan, and still am. And I have been very adverse to Glocks. I had seen some Glock reliability problems under extreme circumstances, hated that Glock trigger and didn't like being "one of the herd". However, an instructor friend of mine, Greg at www.blackopsschoolofcombat.com let me shoot his model 17. I noticed that not only did I shoot really well but, the trigger was unlike any Glock I had shot. Not that I had shot that many, 2 or 3. He told me that he had reworked the trigger. I was impressed. I considered buying one but, decided against that. However, last Sat. I shot my 1911 for the first half of the day then borrowed a Glock 17. I again shot better with the Glock. So now, sigh, I own one and will, Lord Willing, buy another 17 this week. So, I think that God is teaching me some valuable lessons about pride. So now, there's another OCer carrying a Glock everyday.
    The responsibility is ours, the results, GODS

That is O.K. Thad. When I CCW which is most of the time I carry a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, but when I open carry it is a S&W Model 65-3. So variety is not bad I guess.
    Last edited by 9026543; 10-24-2010 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by patriotthad View Post
    I am writing this while eating crow. As many of you know I have been a long time 1911 fan, and still am. And I have been very adverse to Glocks. I had seen some Glock reliability problems under extreme circumstances, hated that Glock trigger and didn't like being "one of the herd". However, an instructor friend of mine, Greg at www.blackopsschoolofcombat.com let me shoot his model 17. I noticed that not only did I shoot really well but, the trigger was unlike any Glock I had shot. Not that I had shot that many, 2 or 3. He told me that he had reworked the trigger. I was impressed. I considered buying one but, decided against that. However, last Sat. I shot my 1911 for the first half of the day then borrowed a Glock 17. I again shot better with the Glock. So now, sigh, I own one and will, Lord Willing, buy another 17 this week. So, I think that God is teaching me some valuable lessons about pride. So now, there's another OCer carrying a Glock everyday.
    what? did i read that right?

wait, let me read that again..........

yep, that's what i thought it said. Mr. "Roll the eyes and huff at a Glock" now owns one? and is looking to buy another one? HOT DAMN!! will wonders never cease?

and BTW that small gesture of yours at our one and only meeting was the only downside to the entire evening. even though you now sport a Glock i still think you are a stand-up guy.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Unhappy

I am also driving a Ford. What will it be next, penny loafers?

I am also driving a Ford. What will it be next, penny loafers?
    not that i have ever owned a Ford before (just don't like 'em) i have to admit that they may be the last great bastion of privately owned US car companies. i've been a GM guy for most of my life but i am seriously reconsidering that loyalty in the future.
    I'm the one who's gotta die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life the way I want to.
    Jimi Hendrix

NRA Benefactor Member & 03 FFL

Quote Originally Posted by Broondog View Post
    not that i have ever owned a Ford before (just don't like 'em) i have to admit that they may be the last great bastion of privately owned US car companies. i've been a GM guy for most of my life but i am seriously reconsidering that loyalty in the future.
    Hear Hear!!

NOOOOOOOOOO!

Say it isn't so!

patriotthad, you said that you liked the 17 ur buddy had that had a reworked trigger. I can tell you that if u have a bit of money to spend you can turn a Glock into the ultimate carry gun. That is if you have the ability to completely disassemble a firearm (which is really simple with a Glock). Or if you would just like to do what i dod and drool over the possibilities that u cant buy, lol. Just order a free catalog from glockstore.com which is another enterprise run by Lenny Magill. Some awesome mods you can do yourself.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Superlite27 View Post
    NOOOOOOOOOO!

Say it isn't so!
    Have you thought about finding a therapist to help you work through your Glock fears.

Doc

I am really getting over my glockaphobia. Friday night, during a night shoot at blackops, I took top gun!

Which 17 did you pick up? The newer G17's seem to have the same trigger package, slide stop, and mag release as the G34, older versions didn't. The OD green model I managed to pick up was labeled "SGT" package. Loved it, but I like my 34 so much more.

Congrats on the new purchase!
    Last edited by heresyourdipstickjimmy; 11-09-2010 at 08:09 PM.

NNoooo... Obviously you haven't tried an XD with a sear kit installed [insert generic Glock v XD argument here]
    [Anticipate glock fan boi response here]
    [Explain for the nth time why I like XDs better]
    [Offer hope that OP will try a similarly modified XD before spending/wasting any more money on Glocks]

... ahhh, good to back on the forum

Quote Originally Posted by deepdiver View Post
    NNoooo... Obviously you haven't tried an XD with a sear kit installed [insert generic Glock v XD argument here]
    [Anticipate glock fan boi response here]
    [Explain for the nth time why I like XDs better]
    [Offer hope that OP will try a similarly modified XD before spending/wasting any more money on Glocks]

... ahhh, good to back on the forum

Details...details already!

Oh, and you won't get the Glock v. XD argument from this guy. I have owned and fired both. My .45ACP choice has been the XD, but my 9mm choice the Glock.

My first XD experience was interesting to say the least. I was handed a 5 inch XD9 and told to shoot it at my behest at 15 yards. I covered a nickel with 3 rounds and immediately set it down and said..."I'm sold, where can I get one".

Quote Originally Posted by REALteach4u View Post
    Details...details already!

Oh, and you won't get the Glock v. XD argument from this guy. I have owned and fired both. My .45ACP choice has been the XD, but my 9mm choice the Glock.

My first XD experience was interesting to say the least. I was handed a 5 inch XD9 and told to shoot it at my behest at 15 yards. I covered a nickel with 3 rounds and immediately set it down and said..."I'm sold, where can I get one".
    Laff ... I certainly don't want to actually hijack the thread.