• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Documenting our open carry movement

LOERetired

I don't know if any one person is documenting the Wisconsincarry.org open carry movement from the beginning, if not, I would like to put together information and photo's of all the events and photo's since the beginning and eventually put it in a book format for all to read down the road, i.e. our kids and their kids.

If anyone don't mind I'd like to take on this task, as I've been taking photos of all the events I've been at and will continue with other events.

If you have any information on how wisconsincarry.org was organized or pictures from all the events attended, please send it to me at opencarryhistory@yahoo.com make sure you provide the date and place of the event and any information you have.

Don

Last edited:

LOERetired

Web page

Anyway to make an online version similar to this (http://www.statehuntandfishregs.com/MI/pageflip.html)
Though not a WI resident, I'm within a couple hours of the state line, and travel through frequently, and keep up to date with the happenings in that state.

Good thought, I think it could be put together and a link from wisconsincarry.org added once I have all the details and photo's put together. Or, we could have a separate web page named for example, wisconsinopencarryhistory.com which is available. I would still like to have a book as a hard copy to be made available to members.

Don

Last edited:

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Just a couple of thoughts. First, the open carry movement began long before WCI was even a concept, so if you are doing a history of open-carry in Wisconsin, Wisconsin Carry is just a subset of that. Many other individuals and groups were part of the movement. So a biography of Wisconsin Carry wouldn't tell the whole story of the movement and it wouldn't be accurate.

Second, do keep in mind Wisconsin Carry is dedicated to the right to carry (open or concealed) So conceptually, a biography of Wisconsin Carry wouldn't be a biography of open-carry but just of "right to carry" in general (open or concealed) and again, WCI is just a part of the bigger right to carry movement.

The larger picture may be "right to carry" in Wisconsin, which would really go back to the year conceal carry was banned (1872 I think)

There wouldn't be much to talk about until perhaps the 90's when state pre-emption law passed (1995) and the constitutional amendment (art. 1 Sec 25) happened (1998)

The PPA legislation, Doyle veto's, Dick Baker, WCCA, (and others) would be part of the story, as would all of the landmark Wisconsin Supreme court cases (Vegas, Hamden) and also the USSC cases (Heller, McDonald) which have affected right to carry in Wisconsin.

JB Van Hollen memo

Other gun groups. WGO WCCA, WI Pro Gun Movement, Wisconsin Patriots, WI-Force perhaps all have a part of the story. Many individuals. Gonzalez, Krause and countless others who OC'ed before the AG memo.

I think the true story is right to carry in Wisconsin which is much larger than WCI.

So depending on the scope of the story you want to create (history of right to carry in Wisconsin, history of open carry in Wisconsin, history of WCI) WCI would be happy to share information about our orgins etc.

I think a biography specifically of WCI, we would want to keep tight control over (to make sure the message was accurate) (then again, not all biographies are authorized, so you could always do an expose') lol

But I do think the big picture story of right to carry in Wisconsin is a good one and important one and with the goal of documenting history for posterity sake it should include far more than just WCI.

Last edited:
M

McX

do i get a walk on part? i want to be the guy in madison who is terrorized by the police, illegally detained, and forced to produce ID under duress.......no wait, i did that..........you got any other parts available? maybe a book deal?

Spartacus

Banned
I think a biography specifically of WCI, we would want to keep tight control over (to make sure the message was accurate) (then again, not all biographies are authorized, so you could always do an expose') lol

It was a dark and stormy night when Nik, Auric, Hubert and a few others who shall remain nameless stumbled out of Sloppy Joe's, a sleazy strip joint on Front Street.

"Damn!", said Auric, "that last stripper pulled a knife on me! Did you guys see that?"

"I hate it when they do that" retorted Hubert, "a damn crack ho robed me of 50 bucks yesterday!"

"You know" leveled Nik, "we really need to carry guns to protect ourselves from these wack jobs."

And so WCI was born... ;)

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
It was a dark and stormy night when Nik, Auric, Hubert and a few others who shall remain nameless stumbled out of Sloppy Joe's, a sleazy strip joint on Front Street.

"Damn!", said Auric, "that last stripper pulled a knife on me! Did you guys see that?"

"I hate it when they do that" retorted Hubert, "a damn crack ho robed me of 50 bucks yesterday!"

"You know" leveled Nik, "we really need to carry guns to protect ourselves from these wack jobs."

And so WCI was born... ;)

That REALLY made my day, funnier than heck!