• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coming soon to a legislator's office near you.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
I emailed my Rep. His response:

We forwarded your email to Representative Kleinschmidt and his response was as follows:
"I am committed to furthering the goals of the Texas State Rifle Association and NRA, and I will work with those organizations to protect our individual right to carry and possess firearms responsibly. I do want to work within the framework of the plans of these two organizations as much as possible to provide a united front to the public and not cause any unintended setbacks to firearm ownership."
He does ask that you also provide your ideas to the representatives of those organizations so that we all can be assured of their support for your project. Without their support such a bill has little chance of passing.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know
Thank you for your continued support,
Jackie Klusmeyer

My email traffic to TSRA:

It will be interesting to see if anyone is interested after last sessions one attempt.

We have our major agenda issues but I'll keep my ears open.

Alice
-----Original Message-----
To: AGTripp@aol.com
Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2010 3:37 pm
Subject: Open Carry
Ms Tripp,Just a little note to ask where we might stand on getting some advancement on the OC issue. I understand it's a sensitive issue, and needs to be worked incrementally. I hope we might be able to advance licensed OC in most places where you can CC.
Respectfully,
Pete XXXXXX

I think we can help make this happen by hammering TSRA at the same time we hammer our reps. If we're as loud as these small groups of leftist malcontents who seem to have gotten everything they want, I think we'll get this done.

jsimmons

I emailed my Rep. His response:

We forwarded your email to Representative Kleinschmidt and his response was as follows:
"I am committed to furthering the goals of the Texas State Rifle Association and NRA, and I will work with those organizations to protect our individual right to carry and possess firearms responsibly. I do want to work within the framework of the plans of these two organizations as much as possible to provide a united front to the public and not cause any unintended setbacks to firearm ownership."
He does ask that you also provide your ideas to the representatives of those organizations so that we all can be assured of their support for your project. Without their support such a bill has little chance of passing.

If there is anything else we can help you with please let us know
Thank you for your continued support,
Jackie Klusmeyer

My email traffic to TSRA:

It will be interesting to see if anyone is interested after last sessions one attempt.

We have our major agenda issues but I'll keep my ears open.

Alice
-----Original Message-----
To: AGTripp@aol.com
Sent: Wed, Nov 10, 2010 3:37 pm
Subject: Open Carry
Ms Tripp,Just a little note to ask where we might stand on getting some advancement on the OC issue. I understand it's a sensitive issue, and needs to be worked incrementally. I hope we might be able to advance licensed OC in most places where you can CC.
Respectfully,
Pete XXXXXX

I think we can help make this happen by hammering TSRA at the same time we hammer our reps. If we're as loud as these small groups of leftist malcontents who seem to have gotten everything they want, I think we'll get this done.

"Licensed" OC? WTF is that? That's the same thing we have now - having to BUY our rights back. That's is completely unacceptable.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
"Licensed" OC? WTF is that? That's the same thing we have now - having to BUY our rights back. That's is completely unacceptable.

Try OC'ing with a CHL right now, and then get back to us so we can set up your legal defense fund.

We can't get everything we want in one shot. As I've pointed out before, the fascists have been chipping away our right since the 1920's. We have managed to reverse this trend since the 1980's, it will have to be done in increments just like everything else. We're still making progress, so don't get discouraged if we only get licensed OC. In the 83rd Legislature we can push for more.

MR Redenck

Could someone PLEASE explain to me why anyone would think licensed Open Carry would be accepted more than the "Constitutional Right" Open Carry would?
Do people with CHL license walk around with their card displayed for all the gun haters to see.
Would licensed Open Carry make anyone of the " Anti " community feel better. Are you going to walk around with a sign saying" I have a gun on my hip for my self defense, but I have a license for it"?
License or not, the anti gun people will still be against anything involving Your 2nd Amendment Right!
The only thing that is important is the people who will make the effort to enforce your Constitutional Right. People who are against the Constitutional Rights of Texans make no difference at all.
Your Constitutional Rights do Not have a section for Liberal Compromise!
See for yourself; http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am2

MR Redenck

Try OC'ing with a CHL right now, and then get back to us so we can set up your legal defense fund.

We can't get everything we want in one shot. As I've pointed out before, the fascists have been chipping away our right since the 1920's. We have managed to reverse this trend since the 1980's, it will have to be done in increments just like everything else. We're still making progress, so don't get discouraged if we only get licensed OC. In the 83rd Legislature we can push for more.

Wrong! This all started back in 1867.
And no, there wasnt any chipping away at your right to wear arms. The right was restricted completely untill 1995. The campaign that Susan Gratia Hupp started was the most powerful effort anyone made to enable Texans the right to wear arms. Susan Hupp's victory in 1995 was made possible by G.W. Bush signing the CHL law into effect. The law went into effect in 1996.

DKSuddeth

Accomplished Advocate
as i've said before, unless the legislature gets swamped with demands for unlicensed open carry, it isn't going to happen. my two discussions i've had with Todd Smith has shown me that it's all about the money for the licenses, point blank and period. The ONLY, and I stress that word ONLY, way that unlicensed open carry comes to Texas is to have someone with a UCW charge, WHO IS NOT COMMITTING ANY OTHER CRIME!!!!!, use mcdonald and murdock in their defense. only then will 46.02 get ruled unconstitutional.

jsimmons

as i've said before, unless the legislature gets swamped with demands for unlicensed open carry, it isn't going to happen. my two discussions i've had with Todd Smith has shown me that it's all about the money for the licenses, point blank and period. The ONLY, and I stress that word ONLY, way that unlicensed open carry comes to Texas is to have someone with a UCW charge, WHO IS NOT COMMITTING ANY OTHER CRIME!!!!!, use mcdonald and murdock in their defense. only then will 46.02 get ruled unconstitutional.

The problem is that nobody wants to be the sacrificial lamb, and even if they did, who's got the money to finance a protracted legal fight? We certainly can't count on the NRA or TSRA to help...

jsimmons

What does that have to do with what I said? I said that requiring a license to OC is exactly the same as requiring a license to CC, and that either one is completely unacceptable. I shouldn't have to pay the state of Texas to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.

We can't get everything we want in one shot. As I've pointed out before, the fascists have been chipping away our right since the 1920's. We have managed to reverse this trend since the 1980's, it will have to be done in increments just like everything else. We're still making progress, so don't get discouraged if we only get licensed OC. In the 83rd Legislature we can push for more.[/QUOTE]

I don't agree. This is all bogus political horsesh*t. I say go for it in EVERY legislative session, and between sessions. Let the legislators know - WITHOUT ANY ROOM FOR SPECULATION OR INTERPRETATION - that we want our rights back - NOW.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
Could someone PLEASE explain to me why anyone would think licensed Open Carry would be accepted more than the "Constitutional Right" Open Carry would?
Do people with CHL license walk around with their card displayed for all the gun haters to see.
Would licensed Open Carry make anyone of the " Anti " community feel better. Are you going to walk around with a sign saying" I have a gun on my hip for my self defense, but I have a license for it"?
License or not, the anti gun people will still be against anything involving Your 2nd Amendment Right!
The only thing that is important is the people who will make the effort to enforce your Constitutional Right. People who are against the Constitutional Rights of Texans make no difference at all.
Your Constitutional Rights do Not have a section for Liberal Compromise!
See for yourself; http://www.usconstitution.net/const.html#Am2

The last thing I want to do is compromise with moonbats, I just want them defeated. On this issue we're faced with making compromises with other gun owners that like the status quo, with politicians terrified of making changes as broad as repealing the part of the state constitution that allows the legislature to regulate carrying guns in public. I don't see that as an insignificant endeavor. You may think it's just paperwork, and you're right, but there's a lot more to it. Someone smarter than I might explain it better.

As to why I think licensed Open Carry would be accepted more than the "Constitutional Right" Open Carry. I suppose it's just perception. I really don't care about the gun haters. There's no changing what they call their "minds". I think the bigger problem is convincing other gun people and those on the fence that our beliefs are founded in the moral and logical high ground.

What does that have to do with what I said? I said that requiring a license to OC is exactly the same as requiring a license to CC, and that either one is completely unacceptable. I shouldn't have to pay the state of Texas to exercise my 2nd amendment rights.
YOU SAID:
I am saying we don't have licensed OC. Seems pretty simple to me.

I don't agree. This is all bogus political horsesh*t. I say go for it in EVERY legislative session, and between sessions. Let the legislators know - WITHOUT ANY ROOM FOR SPECULATION OR INTERPRETATION - that we want our rights back - NOW.[/QUOTE]

I guess we'll just have to disagree. Try not to confuse my acceptance of "bogus political horsesh*t" as approval. I just believe there's no way in hell we're going to get blanket Constitutional Carry back all in one sweeping law. We can try anyway, but at the same time we should also be advancing the line battle by battle.

Wrong! This all started back in 1867.
And no, there wasnt any chipping away at your right to wear arms. The right was restricted completely untill 1995. The campaign that Susan Gratia Hupp started was the most powerful effort anyone made to enable Texans the right to wear arms. Susan Hupp's victory in 1995 was made possible by G.W. Bush signing the CHL law into effect. The law went into effect in 1996.

I was speaking from a national perspective, not just the state of TX. After Florida passed it's CHL law the momentum swung back in our favor, although with a few set backs.

Last edited:

MR Redenck

The big issue here IS NOT the Texas Constitution. Article 1 section 23 gives Texans the right to keep and bear arms, It also impowers legislature the right to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to PREVENT CRIME..
Not a damn thing wrong with any of that! It doenst need to be change and it doesnt need to be defined.
Article 1 section 23 simply needs to be enforced as it is written!
The View to prevent crime is exactly what it should be. Prevent Criminals from commiting Crime!
I have been studying the Texas penal code section 42 and 46 till im just sick of reading it. I have studied every Legislative session from the 81st all the way back to the Constitution Convention of 1868. Open carry is Not a new topic with Texas Legislature. It just simply has NOT been push for by the Citizens of Texas. Organizations that you think represent your Texas Rights are not persuing what the Citizens of Texas are wanting. People constantly calling their Legislatures with mixed emotions as to how they think open carry should be Constituted will never get anything done.
Last legislature session a lady named Debbie Riddle wanted to persue Open Carry, But She Did Not have a Organized Group Of Texans to Support!
The first thing ALL of Texas needs to learn is You ALL have to be Organized! As individuals, YOU WILL NOT ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING! PERSONAL OPINIONS DONT MEAN NOTHIN! GET ORGANIZED AND REALIZE THAT YOU RIGHTS HAVE ONE SPECIFIC MEANING!
THE DEFFINITION OF RIGHTS DOES NOT INVOLVE RESTRICTIONS FOR PEOPLE THAT HAVE NOT COMMITED CRIMINAL ACTS! note;" with a view to prevent crime"
Section 46.02 and section 46.15 are what takes the rights away from honest Texans. Removing section 46.15 kills your right to the CHL. Editing 46.02 creates constitutional carry! This stuff isnt as easy as most people think. There is a way to create Open Carry witout editing Concealed Carry. The options are very limited. There are two important sections that can be changed. One will create Constitutional Carry, the other will creat Constitutional Open Carry. Both will be taken to Texas 82nd legislative session.
Get organized! Take advantage of what people have given you; http://www.lonestarcdl.org/......

B.D. WALKER

To open carry I say BOO YAH!!!

To Constitutional Carry I say; I'm there

Based on the previous points made above; I would say no one wants licensed open carry. But like every battle we take the good with the bad. if only just to start that journey in the right direction.

Think of when we couldn't even carry a firearm at all and now here we are trying to get OC. That said, we shouldn't aim low bcoz we think our goal is impossible right now. Lets aim high and stick with it to the end; best senerio is that we don't just get open carry but constitutional carry and worse case we get licensed open carry and we walk away to come back and fight another day.

Gun owner and pro-gun advocated fighting among each other is like an army divided among itself and thatz hoe the anti-gun peeps get at us. We all want the same thing; "THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS" for our safety and those we care about.

Last edited:

CliffH

....best senerio is that we don't just get open carry but constitutional carry and worse case we get licensed open carry and we walk away to come back and fight another day.

And that's the way we need to fight. Shoot for the moon (no pun intended), just maybe you'll get it.

B.D. WALKER

NRA will not publicly support it until after it passes. Alice Tripp of TSRA was openly hostile to it the last legislative session.

I recently contacted the NRA to know their view and position regarding the ongoing push for OC in Texas; my short text below:

What is the NRA's stand on Texas Open Carry and why is there no news or support of Rep George Lavender that is trying to work with pro-gun groups to bring Open Carry to Texas?

I and lots of Gun owners and NRA members are very interested in this bill and we need your support to make this happen.

And here is their reply:

Thank you for contacting the NRA-ILA. The session has not started yet. If legislation has or will be filed we will report on it then. At this point there are many different goals we are working on in Texas so there is no point to speak out on each of them until we can determine which are feasible and what we will pursue based on the probability of passage. This is something that we support, but at this point we still have to wait and see. We appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

Erik Eckberg
NRA-ILA

As is shown in the response above, they are just waiting to see what happens instead of being part of the solution. Based on this even when we get the OC bill filed if they don't think we stand a chance they still might not get involved.

It seems like if we want to make this work we can't really depend on these gun groups to assist. Let us continue to contact our Reps, both senate and house to convince them rather than wait on any group that don't even have faith in what we are fighting for...

CliffH

It seems like if we want to make this work we can't really depend on these gun groups to assist. Let us continue to contact our Reps, both senate and house to convince them rather than wait on any group that don't even have faith in what we are fighting for...

Are you aware that there is a group, Lone Star Citizens Defense League, who's fighting for OC in TX?

Last edited:

B.D. WALKER

Are you aware that there is a group, Lone Star Citizens Defense League, who's fighting for OC in TX?

I am aware of the LSCDL and there willingness to back the OC (I stated this some where above). I was not lashing out at them, my statement was mainly aimed at the NRA coz they are the ones I emailed and the TSRA coz i av heard they too are not showing interest.

I was just being universal with my statement. Other than LSCDL I can't think of any other pro-gun group that is really looking into OC, reporting on it and pushing for it. Most of these are trying to be all political in the bills that they favor or throw their backing on.

My view on the whole thing is that these group should simply say were they stand so we the simple gun-owners know who to really turn to for assistance and support for OC in Texas.

CliffH

I am aware of the LSCDL and there willingness to back the OC (I stated this some where above).

My apologies. I've been looking at too many threads on too many boards lately, and didn't take the time to re-read this one.

My view on the whole thing is that these group should simply say were they stand so we the simple gun-owners know who to really turn to for assistance and support for OC in Texas.

It does take a bit of digging to find out, especially for those who don't normally hang out on gun boards. I can't count the number of people I've conversed with during the last couple of years who didn't know that the TSRA isn't 100% behind OC; they've just assumed that the TSRA fought for all gun rights.

At least you received a reply from the NRA. I've written them 3 times trying to get a discussion on OC started, they haven't even acknowledged receipt of my messages.

B.D. WALKER

At least you received a reply from the NRA. I've written them 3 times trying to get a discussion on OC started, they haven't even acknowledged receipt of my messages.

Now thatz just wrong; at least the NRA should give some reply to ur inquiry. As for the TSRA, why say they support gun rights if they do not support all gun rights.

These and other groups that are sitting on the side lines would be surprised at the end when they see how far the Texan people are able to reach without them.

You all watch, most of these so called pro-gun group would want to jump in towards the end to claim they fought for us to have OC in Teaxs. Problem is they would fool some people. The NRA is good for a number of things; But OC is not one of them.

Last edited: