• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to TN soon. Need to verify some info.

possumbarnes

OK. I currently have an Alabama permit and carry daily. Sometime in the next 3 months (whether we sell the house or not) we are moving to western TN (Knoxville or surrounding area).

From what I've found, I can continue to use my AL permit to carry concealed (or openly?) in TN as a TN resident for the first 6 months. Sometime in the first 6 months, I have to go through the process of obtaining the TN permit. But, my understanding is that I have to be a resident for 6 months before applying for a license. I can take the required class, but I can't apply for the license until I've been a resident for at least 6 months. Does this mean that I'll have a certain period of time that I will not be able to legally carry in TN? The law states it can take 90 days to approve. What's the average time frame from application to receipt of permit?

Also, as a long shot, does having an AL permit allow me to bypass the required class and go straight to the application process?

I expect to be a TN resident by the end of Jan 2011. My Alabama permit doesn't expire until Sept 2011.

HvyMtl

Ok,

First, go here: http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgunmain.htm

And look into the FAQ. http://www.state.tn.us/safety/handgun/handgunfaqs.htm

And, of course, there is nothing about a person moving into the state with another state's permit.

This said, try contacting the state directly, this is probably best to get the correct info.

Contact Us:
Lisa Knight, Manager
1150 Foster Avenue
Nashville, TN 37243
(866) 849-3548

FYI: It should not take the full 90 days, however, there has been a recent rush to get permits, which may impact the waiting period.

Another good source of info on this topic may be posting in this forum: tngunowners.com

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
I don't think there is a requirement to be a resident for 6 months before applying for a permit. You should apply within six months of becoming a resident, which I think is simply establishing a residence.

I don't know if TN accepts the AL permit, but you can try. The following is a part of TCA 39-17-1351;
" If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit."

tngunowners.com is about the worst place you can go for carry information. Most of those idiots don't know the laws and actively oppose open carry. In fact it seems most of their members oppose unlicensed carry. They enjoy the government controlled HCP system. It may be a good fit if you're into off topic discussion and don't mind spending the cash to exercise a God given right.

Last edited:

Oh Shoot

OK. I currently have an Alabama permit and carry daily. Sometime in the next 3 months (whether we sell the house or not) we are moving to western TN (Knoxville or surrounding area).

From what I've found, I can continue to use my AL permit to carry concealed (or openly?) in TN as a TN resident for the first 6 months. Sometime in the first 6 months, I have to go through the process of obtaining the TN permit. But, my understanding is that I have to be a resident for 6 months before applying for a license. I can take the required class, but I can't apply for the license until I've been a resident for at least 6 months. Does this mean that I'll have a certain period of time that I will not be able to legally carry in TN? The law states it can take 90 days to approve. What's the average time frame from application to receipt of permit?

- Your AL permit is good here for 6 months after establishing residency. You can carry concealed or openly where legal.

- You must have a TN HCP within 6 months of first establishing residency. You can do the process as soon as you establish residency, which is generally simply getting a TN Drivers License. Matter of fact you're TDL and HCP have the same number.

- Permit issuance is generally in the 6 week or less range, unless something gnarly in your background surfaces. It has gotten MUCH quicker in the last year or so. No guarantees though, they DO have 90 days before they MUST issue even if all checks are not complete.

Also, as a long shot, does having an AL permit allow me to bypass the required class and go straight to the application process?

Nope, sorry. Some state's permit holders get a break with course, or price, but not 'Bama:

"Applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.

(No minimum age requirement in Alabama, no fingerprinting, and no handgun safety course) "

- OS

Oh Shoot

tngunowners.com is about the worst place you can go for carry information. ......

While not a TGO sycophant, note that this is Kwik Sour Grape Syndrome speaking here, since that's just one more site from which he is banned.

There are actually a number of folks who know the weapons laws pretty much inside out; I'm not too shoddy on them myself, and we have a number of lawyers on there too, a couple of which do cater to weapons statute cases.

- OS

kwikrnu

Banned
While not a TGO sycophant, note that this is Kwik Sour Grape Syndrome speaking here, since that's just one more site from which he is banned.

There are actually a number of folks who know the weapons laws pretty much inside out; I'm not too shoddy on them myself, and we have a number of lawyers on there too, a couple of which do cater to weapons statute cases.

- OS

The TGO forum is a good place for those who think concealed is concealed. It is a good place if you like nazi moderators. Yes, the knowledge base is weak too.

HvyMtl

And yes, you have been banned from posting there...

But, we are digressing, and possibly violating this forum's rules...

Welcome to Tennessee Possumbarnes, enjoy your stay here!

Last edited:

kwikrnu

Banned
And yes, you have been banned from posting there...

The moderation on that site is nazi like.
The site does not approve of legal open carry.
The knowledge of carry laws was limited.

If you like to brag about the new sights on your glock and talk about things other than guns you might like it.