• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Put in cuffs at wal-mart

GabrielSchultz

My Girlfriend, My buddy, his wife and I were shopping at wal-mart. my buddy and I where OCing. We where they're for 30 mins, we were shopping around getting things we needed. 1 police officer came up to us and asked my friend why he had that and then told him to turn around and put his hand's behind his back and put him in cuff's. my buddy asked him if he was under arrest and the officer said no, then he said "then why am I in cuffs?". The officer did not reply

I then reached for my phone and started recording everything. (but i kept hitting the damn stop button:mad:) he then told me not to reach for my gun. (all i could think was "why would i? I have a phone in my hand trying to get the camera on") we where walking while i was recording this. i asked him for his name and he told me it was on his badge and to zoom in on it so i did. he then asked why we came into the store with guns and i told him for personal protection. he then asked what am i worried about. i said about getting robbed. "In wal-mart" he said and i told him that there is alot of crime here. he then said "thats why their is 2 police officers here 24 hours a day. i then told him a police officer can not be with us 24/7. he told me that wal-mart does not want me to have guns in here i told him ok and before i could say that i spoke to security about coming in the store OCing that is was ok, he told me to go over to the other officer and speak to her.

I did and started talking to her then he told her to put me in cuffs. (I guss that he didnt like the fact that she didnt put me in cuff's in the first place) I asked her why this is happing but didnt get nothing out of it. i gave my GF my phone and said to record this. we then went outside and the female officer was nice about everything. she asked me to sit on the car and i did. she started talking to me and he looked at her and then went over to the other side and removed my firearm. she then asked me for my id. and i said no. but after a moment since she was being nice i let her see it.
(oh yea when she removed my firearm i told her it was loaded and she said thankyou, pulled the slide back the round landed on the car and rolled on the ground and some how another round came out of my clip and went following the other one. :lol:)

She gave the male officer my id and she started talking to me and i told her everything that i knew and she agreed with me on everything and she knew the law and that it was legal, she had also asked me if i was a lawyer. I dont know if she ment that as a insult or a complement, ill take it as a complement. and i guss that the other cop or the head of security told her that we could not bring out firearms on to the property. and i told her other wise and stated about what the head of security told me and the manger had told me about me being welcome. but she stood her ground on that one.

the male officer started talking to me and said that they dont want anyone carrying in a gun and that we had no firearms training. and it was funny because my buddy qualified marksman in the army with the m9. ive been around guns sice i was an infant and trained on guns multiple time and while im at home i practice over and over and over to stay on my toes.

After they ran everything they uncuffed us walked us back to our vehicle's, the female cop spoke to me for a while until the male officer came over to us and she talked about being pro-gun and everything about guns. the male officer came over to me i requested a card with his name and badge number he gave it to me. the male officer and wal-mart security started talking to me about how stupid it was and that if i was ever somewhere and that place was going to get robbed that i would be shot and killed, but i begged to differ.

P.S. ive been in that store multiple times never with a problem. this time i was in it for 30 mins. and my buddy's wife told me that she talked to the head of security and asked why this was happing and that I (me gabriel) have been in here multiple times and never had a problem. to witch he stated "because they're where 2 of us". ( isnt that profiling?) over all my buddy and I have filed complaints with that wal-mart and we are calling wal-mart corp. tomorrow and filing again with them and also calling the KCPD and filing complaints about it and calling more and more people going after what happend tonight.

This whole incident took about 20 to 30 mins and soo much was said that if i had a pen and paper that i could write a book.

And this was at the wal-mart at blue ridge just in case anyone wanted to know

I forgot to state that the female officer saw all of us walking from our cars to the store and didnt do anything. when i asked if she had seen us she said that she did see us and hadn't noticed anything that was illegal and didn't see us as a threat.

Last edited:

Mike

Site Co-Founder
Find a lawyer and sue - the police cannot act as agents of private actors - the private actor must order you to leave and you must refuse before there is any tresspass.

randyj

Absolutely!!

YES...you need to bring as much pressure to bear on this as you possibly can! Write everything down, every single detail that you can possibly remember and write it down while it's still fresh in your memory. Have your buddy and the girls do the same thing. Hopefully you were able to get some good video as well to support your case.

Go for this.

protias

Last edited:

sultan62

Please put the video on youtube and link, they are very educational for all of us.

Good luck, I hope you pursue this. Keep us updated, please.

GabrielSchultz

Update

I was contacted by my lawyer today and he told me we can take this as far as i want to, and ill do what ever i can to do this. Also, while i was on the phone with him i was contacted by wal-mart and the the guy known as aaron told me that everthing that happend was lawful and that i could do nothing and that all wal-marts across the country do not allow firearms at all unless you are a uniformed officer and i begged to differ. he fed to me a bunch of bull but i knew that what he was saying was wrong. Also to state he was a head of security feeding everyone false info last night. so he thought that he could some how take the pressure off of him by calling me. but it only will make it worse than it was. im going to kcpd, missouri department of public safety, and my lawyers with everything. i will be getting the dash cam video soon (hopefully) so that you all can hear what i was saying and what the cops where saying. i will not stop at this i will persue this to the full. i knew but the lawyer confermed that my rights were violated. ill keep everyone up to date on this whole issue until justice is served. ima try to also get the wal-mart videos so that everyone can see my buddy getting detained right off the bat. i dont mind if i dont get paid but that the kcpd teach's its officers that they cannot go above and beyond the law to do what ever they want to do.

and also this is the second time in 1 month that this has happend to me. i was the one that posted the "stopped by cop at QT".

KBCraig

Very ill-advised attempt at personal spin control on Aaron's part. He tried to buffalo you into dropping it, but he ran into someone who not only knows he was spewing BS, but knows what to do about it.

Fallschirjmäger

I used to work in middle management. When it was my boss that pulled a bone-headed maneuver I'd say "You may not want to do that next time."
When it was one of my workers that did something wrong he had to either fix it himself or he had to look for a new job.

I think it all depends on which position you see the police serving.

sultan62

I was contacted by my lawyer today and he told me we can take this as far as i want to, and ill do what ever i can to do this. Also, while i was on the phone with him i was contacted by wal-mart and the the guy known as aaron told me that everthing that happend was lawful and that i could do nothing and that all wal-marts across the country do not allow firearms at all unless you are a uniformed officer and i begged to differ. he fed to me a bunch of bull but i knew that what he was saying was wrong. Also to state he was a head of security feeding everyone false info last night. so he thought that he could some how take the pressure off of him by calling me. but it only will make it worse than it was. im going to kcpd, missouri department of public safety, and my lawyers with everything. i will be getting the dash cam video soon (hopefully) so that you all can hear what i was saying and what the cops where saying. i will not stop at this i will persue this to the full. i knew but the lawyer confermed that my rights were violated. ill keep everyone up to date on this whole issue until justice is served. ima try to also get the wal-mart videos so that everyone can see my buddy getting detained right off the bat. i dont mind if i dont get paid but that the kcpd teach's its officers that they cannot go above and beyond the law to do what ever they want to do.

and also this is the second time in 1 month that this has happend to me. i was the one that posted the "stopped by cop at QT".

Awesome. Let us know how it works out.

opencarryeveryday

I would take this as far as you can. The police putting you in cuffs and detaining you is totally unexceptable in the manner in which you described. Some how, some way these uneducated police officers need to be made aware of the proper way to handle this type of situation.

I just love the the "why are you carrying that" question. Could there be anymore of a worthless question for police officers to ask. I mean really...

Once again the idiots at Wal-Mart have no idea what their corporate policy is. Some "security" rent-a-cop just trying to be tough and act like he is a big man. Glad he feels comfortable speaking for all Wal-Marts about what the "policy" is.

I find it sad that they wanted to lecture you on carrying a weapon but they themselves are not capable of performing their jobs correctly. As far as the reply from KWIKRNU that says "The cops were just doing their job." They were not doing their "job". That is pretty clear!

What a cluster*&%$.

Last edited:

Gunslinger

Find a lawyer and sue - the police cannot act as agents of private actors - the private actor must order you to leave and you must refuse before there is any tresspass.

False arrest, plain and simple, and battery as well. You have a slam dunk case. Also a violation of W-M stated corporate policy. As they were the instigator of an unlawful action, you may well have a case against them, as well. Go after them, the cops, the police force and the town.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Walmart Marketing Office
Joe McQueen
757-471-1651

Get the number of your regional manager and put it in your phone book on speed dial. Any time I go into a Walmart in my area I have it ready. That number alone has stopped many issues with Walmart employees.

peterarthur

Wow, I hope my last open carry visit didn't make them too mad... ;)

Good luck Gabriel. We look forward to hearing how it goes.

peterarthur

Hmmm, talking to a student in my class that works for Sedgewick County (Wichita). The cop superiority disease is contagious apparently. She seems to think the arrest was justified just because the cop needed to be sure that Gabriel was not dangerous. What arrogance. Even the civilians that work for the police have this ridiculous attitude...

protias

Hmmm, talking to a student in my class that works for Sedgewick County (Wichita). The cop superiority disease is contagious apparently. She seems to think the arrest was justified just because the cop needed to be sure that Gabriel was not dangerous. What arrogance. Even the citizens that work for the police have this ridiculous attitude...
FTFY

Police are not military.

frommycolddeadhands

+100000000000000! Go for it, let us know how it works out. Can't wait to see the video!