• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Harry Potter and Open/Concealed Carry

since9

Campaign Veteran
Does anyone else besides me get the feeling that Harry Potter's leading his classmates to defend for themselves over the last decade is a cry for re-armament, not to abuse it, but to use it appropriately in defense of self and friends?

elixin77

I can see what your saying.

*NERD ALARM!!!*

During the... 5th book, I believe, when Harry starts teaching his friends how to defend themselves - how is that different than what we do?

Granted, they meet in a secret room, but nonetheless - they teach each other how to defend against some of the more prominent spells.

Something else to consider - every person who is capable of casting spells has their wand on them wherever they go. Even Harry, before he can legally cast spells away from Hogwarts (when the dementor pays him a visit in the park). So, by that nature - they all conceal carry.

Usually, the wand is used as a tool. There are several instances where Ron's mother uses her wand to make dinner, clean the house, etc etc. Of course, there are also those who use the wand as a weapon, and intend to cause harm with it - just like in today's world.

So, who knows? It could have been just some fairytale concocted on napkins while Rowlings worked in a diner, or maybe she really wanted to have some depth to it. That's something that would have to be interrogated out of her, or be left to the masses for them to *think* about what she *might* have *possibly* been trying to say (i.e., its more than likely a story, nothing more)

zack991

All man cards must be turned in for the next 48 Hours where after the said 48 hours you will go to a man board to see if you are manly enough to get your card returned. If you watched any of those sparkle vampire movies your card will automatically be denied for re-issue till you kill the terminator and save a bus full hot cheerleaders. Saing the wife drag you to see it is not a valid excuse and if you took children to see the movie its not as bad but that is why we have wives.

Last edited:

sultan62

All man cards must be turned in for the next 48 Hours where after the said 48 hours you will go to a man board to see if you are manly enough to get your card returned. If you watched any of those sparkle vampire movies your card will automatically be denied for re-issue till you kill the terminator and save a bus full hot cheerleaders. Saing the wife drag you to see it is not a valid excuse and if you took children to see the movie its not as bad but that is why we have wives.

This applies to more than just what you said. It actually also relates to OC, CC, etc. as well. I like it anyway.

You see I don't, I don't work with any exact boundaries of the law because I wasn't consulted when the god damn laws were made. No, instead nameless, faceless politicians, the so called protectors of the moral majority decide what is right and what is wrong. I mean come on. I govern my life around my own personal code of ethics, and I suggest that you do the same. That way if, within the constructs of my own morality, I were to do something that is considered illegal, so be it. I feel no guilt whatsoever and furthermore, if I were to buckle under the social weight of the system by adhering to laws that I do not truly believe in then I would be extinguishing the very fire of patriotism and individuality.

Monty from the movie Waiting (2005)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Of course, there are also those who use the wand as a weapon, and intend to cause harm with it - just like in today's world.

Not to mention a few pink-clad ninnies who desired to abuse their power, wrongly using magic, while denying its use to the masses in a quest for power grabs...

Yes, I think the sentiments against both wrongful use, as well as abuse of power, and cheering the underdog and correct use of power, are fairly universal.

Jack House

Your manbadge is hereby revoked, you have no authority to enforce the manlaws.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Speak for yourself.

Uber_Olafsun

Expecto glockonious!!!!!

I saw all the movies and read all the books so try to take my man card if you want. It is true that in the harry potter world they always carry wands because they are tools. They need something to stir a potion or take out a dark wizard who is trying to kill them they have it ready.

Now if you want fun you get into Snape killing Dumbledore and assisted suicide debate.