• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Cities Weigh Letting Noncitizens Vote. crAP via FoxNews.com

Coded-Dude

"Non-citizens" encompasses two main sub categories: illegal residents and legal residents. I don't think anyone here thinks or believes that an illegal immigrant should have a "right to vote," or a right to anything for that matter! So when someone mentions people coming here unlawfully, its diverting the discussion to illegal residents.

As stated above; legal residents(non-citizens) have had the "right to vote" in the past. This is nothing new to our society or republic.

My position is that legal residents should at MOST have the right to vote on MUNICIPAL issues(city/county ordinances/laws).

Why shouldn't a legal resident of the United States NOT have a right to weigh in on issues that are specific to the community they legally reside in(e.g. local traffic laws, school board issues, city taxes, park rules and regulations, etc.)? They are not deciding our next president or diluting national or state issues. These people are obeying our laws, they are also paying us taxes, what is it that they are doing illegally that would inhibit them from voting on local issues?

The tone in this thread makes me think some of you believe residents of our country(both legal and illegal) should have no rights whatsoever. The latter is obviously justified, but what about the former?

oldbanger

If you have been in the country legally for 5-10 years, you have been here long enough to become a citizen. So become one then vote! .

Any one here have a foreign born spouse?

Say your spouse says to you, I want to go back to my country and live awhile, take care of my parents, retire.

Say you both went, how soon would you an American become a citizen of that country, 5 years?

Say you're single and got a job offer to move to a foreign country, fell in love and married, bought a house, had kids, how soon?

How would you feel on the Forth of July? Would you care how your spouse felt?

Last edited:

SemperFiTexan

Allowing non-citizens to vote in ANY election is the first step down the slippery slope. Think about how we got were we are now with our gun laws.

Remember the old saying, "how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time." And that is how we lost so much ground in our 2nd Amendment rights and that is how we will lose more rights by allowing non-citizens to vote.

Tawnos

Allowing non-citizens to vote in ANY election is the first step down the slippery slope. Think about how we got were we are now with our gun laws.

Remember the old saying, "how do you eat an elephant? one bite at a time." And that is how we lost so much ground in our 2nd Amendment rights and that is how we will lose more rights by allowing non-citizens to vote.

What all of you seem to miss is that non-citizens COULD VOTE in elections in 40 states until anti-immigrant bigotry ended it in 1926. Did our country fall apart in the two hundred years where they were voting?

I can see this as becoming a 14th amendment argument. Those who are under the jurisdiction of the states should not be denied the liberty of voting, nor the equal protection of law such voting rights provide, without due process of law.

Brimstone Baritone

Taxation without representation.

+1000

I have no problem with legal residents of the United States, here legally on work, student, or other visas voting in local elections. I would even consider state government positions to be local. If you work for a living and pay your taxes, why shouldn't you get to vote? If you have children in the school system, why shouldn't you get a say in how the schools are run?

There is no slippery slope. Legal residents legally voting doesn't have anything to do with illegal aliens.

eye95

+1000

I have no problem with legal residents of the United States, here legally on work, student, or other visas voting in local elections. I would even consider state government positions to be local. If you work for a living and pay your taxes, why shouldn't you get to vote? If you have children in the school system, why shouldn't you get a say in how the schools are run?

There is no slippery slope. Legal residents legally voting doesn't have anything to do with illegal aliens.

That one does not vote (or is prohibited from voting) does not mean one is not represented. The "taxation without representation" argument is inapt.

beebobby

Taxation without representation was the catalyst behind the Boston Tea Party.