• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

On a working day, do/would you OC when you go to lunch?

Northerner

I work a Mon-Fri position, professional, middle management (non-suit and non-company identifying cloths) with a well known fortune 100 company. When I go to lunch (non-paid 1 hour), I sometimes struggle with whether to strap on or not. I could certainly CC, but staying "on topic," I'd like to OC. Having said this, I would take my employer ID badge off. I worry that if a fellow co-worker (who doesn't really "know" me as a person) would see this and wonder "What the...?" "Does he have that at work too?" "Is he on his way to work to go postal?" Really none of their business, but I fear that, if seen, it may cause a stir at work. So I CC.

What do/would you do?

sultan62

Currently being a student, I can't carry on campus and my PT job is mostly physical labor. I don't carry while working because I don't yet have my CHP and I don't want to get paint/gas/other chemicals on my gun. But when I go to lunch, yes, I strap on.

However, this doesn't really compare to your situation very well.

Sam

Does the company have a sign or rule that does not allow weapons on their property? Is the parking lot their property? How damaged do you think your employment would be if someone did see you?
All things to think about.

smlawrence

Do you know your boss well enough to know what his/her reaction would be if they heard you were OC'in during your lunch break.

Guess thats why I like being my own boss, I carry, I let my employees carry. Its nice like that...lol.

Northerner

Does the company have a sign or rule that does not allow weapons on their property? Is the parking lot their property? How damaged do you think your employment would be if someone did see you?
All things to think about.

Good thing we have overflow parking (City owned - no postings) across the street, so I park there. My Boss is aware of my OC "exuberance" and supports it, but in most cases the "other" people seeing me OC, might damage my reputation at work. In my profession, my reputation is paramount.

J_Oliver

I work for a company that screws it's own customers over and whose owner and founder is a tyrannic, Brady law backing, anti-gun activist. I'd be crucified if anyone at my job found out I was even interested in firearms. This in my case sucks because to open carry to lunch I'd have to have it locked in my car and they do periodic, random vehicle searches. I wish I could, I'd love to be able to open carry at work. I believe any establishment that carries large amounts of money on property shouldn't be able to tell it's employees they can't arm themselves for a situation that's inevitable. :banana:

OSOK

j_oliver

Sounds like a bad company to work for. I am rather concerned about the random car checks though. Did you sign a waiver to let them do this as a condition of employment ?? If you didnt I would tell them that you will not submit to a search of your car because it is YOUR personal property.

sultan62

I work for a company that screws it's own customers over and whose owner and founder is a tyrannic, Brady law backing, anti-gun activist. I'd be crucified if anyone at my job found out I was even interested in firearms. This in my case sucks because to open carry to lunch I'd have to have it locked in my car and they do periodic, random vehicle searches. I wish I could, I'd love to be able to open carry at work. I believe any establishment that carries large amounts of money on property shouldn't be able to tell it's employees they can't arm themselves for a situation that's inevitable. :banana:

Get a combo safe to put under the seat..."forget" the combination if you have to.

J_Oliver

It was all part of the employment package. I'm at a hotel at an airport and though it's not part of airport security for the car checks, the company's official response is that they're doing the responsible thing being so close to the airport. However, the only cars that get checked are the employee's. It's is kinda a crap shoot, but as soon as I started there, the bottom fell out of the economy and I can't find anything else. I like your idea sultan, the box was there when I bought the car and I don't know the combo nor can I get it out... :rolleyes: The company really is a crap shoot. I just can't find anything else and I'm supporting a wife and soon to be my second kid. Which is why I I'm interested in open carry. I still haven't gotten my handgun yet, but I'm working on it. I'm stuck between a Springfield Arms 1911 and a Glock. Just a matter of more range time for familiarity. Thats all.

sultan62

Glock vs 1911 for carry is solely dependent on which you like better IMO. I'm not a big fan of the Glocks, regardless of the fact that they are a well established and reliable brand. I just don't like the way it feels/I shoot it. I'd suggest renting if you can, handling if you can't.

Ruby

I love my 1911. I have a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in stainless steel. I handled Glocks and shot a Glock 19 but just didn't care for the feel. The stock is too large for it to feel secure in my hands; also don't like the fact that there is no external safety.

I have my own house cleaning service. I carry concealed when I am working. I can't just walk into my customer's house with a gun on my hip, but I do have it concealed in my gun purse. Some of my customers know I carry and are fine with it because they knew me before I started carrying. Some of my customers don't know and I am not going to tell them; what's in my purse is my private business as long as it's not a danger to them. When I am not working I do OC some of the time. I am working on OCing more and getting over my fear of a confrontation. Haven't had one yet but know people who have.

elixin77

Thread hijack, but go with the 1911.

If it came down to a very close encounter (read: in your face), and can't fire for whatever reason, you can always hit them with the 1911, and it won't break on you. That, and I've always found the 1911 to have that more "i'm not going to fall apart on you" feel to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX0MB7pJtKs
(language)

carry357

Perception of others is always a problem...

I am new to the "forums", but I have some thouhts...Many things to consider from a perception perspective.
Sounds like your boss gets that it is a 2nd ammendment right. Have you had trouble with anyone at work related to OC'ing? Who do you normally come across at lunch that could take offense? The only sticky issue is...could they reasonably assume that you have it on Company property at work and report you to someone? How big an issue would that misconception be?
I think it's your personal business what you do at lunch (eat, feed the ducks, go shopping, whatever...) and as long as you are not breaking the law or a documented Company policy...Go For It. I think the bottom line may be...get clarification from your job on the policies that you may be questioning..then make a decision. Best of luck either way.

Northerner

I am new to the "forums", but I have some thouhts...Many things to consider from a perception perspective.
Sounds like your boss gets that it is a 2nd ammendment right. Have you had trouble with anyone at work related to OC'ing? Who do you normally come across at lunch that could take offense? The only sticky issue is...could they reasonably assume that you have it on Company property at work and report you to someone? How big an issue would that misconception be?
I think it's your personal business what you do at lunch (eat, feed the ducks, go shopping, whatever...) and as long as you are not breaking the law or a documented Company policy...Go For It. I think the bottom line may be...get clarification from your job on the policies that you may be questioning..then make a decision. Best of luck either way.

:lol:

J_Oliver

I think after the beginning of the year when I get my firearm I'm gonna take Sultan's suggestion and get a combo safe, mount it under the seat and "forget" the combo. I'm pretty sure I can't be reprimanded for that. I know company policy on that. We recently had a "training class" on handling firearms if found in a room after the guest leaves.
That was definitely a wake up call for me. It just showed me how many people were really uncomfortable with firearms. They all squirmed something horrible when faced with a safety check. They all got pamphlets after work on the way out the door. Great educational opportunity. I've so far made 3 of the 28 from the training session a lot more competent and comfortable with at least safety checking and handling a firearm. Company policy states that any employee found to be in possession of a firearm on company policy either on their person or in their personal vehicle will face consequences up to and including termination. I wonder how they'd react if I wore my tactical vest with attached leg holster (Without firearms or other accessories) to work one day? :p

sultan62

SNIP
I wonder how they'd react if I wore my tactical vest with attached leg holster (Without firearms or other accessories) to work one day? :p

I'm sure you asked this in jest, but I'm answering for others who may be reading.

99% of employment is at-will. You can leave or be fired by any reason other than those specifically banned (race, sex, religion, etc.) or for no reason at all.