• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

The Kansas City Star

sohighlyunlikely

question

Start a new thread, ask mods for a sticky and they will come. :D

Who is the Mod for the Missouri section and how do you contact them?

Doc

OCMO-gun-120.gif

John563

Starbucks is good for me.

Question: Is this reporter only going to talk to one person or as a group? I think that Peter would be a good Rep, however he may not convey what I or others might like. I think that we all have our own reasons for O/Cing . Nothing against Peter or anyone else that would want to talk for the group but I think that I would like to talk for myself if I could. Nothing says that we have to talk to him... show up support the cause and look cool. I'll be taking a half day off tobe there. Hope the coffee's good

goalseter88

Starbucks is good for me.

Question: Is this reporter only going to talk to one person or as a group? I think that Peter would be a good Rep, however he may not convey what I or others might like. I think that we all have our own reasons for O/Cing . Nothing against Peter or anyone else that would want to talk for the group but I think that I would like to talk for myself if I could. Nothing says that we have to talk to him... show up support the cause and look cool. I'll be taking a half day off tobe there. Hope the coffee's good

well if you have another reason besides what peter says, i sure you could put your 2 cents in. i mean as a spokesman, i see him as just answering the questions. but that dosent mean you cant put in your opionion as well. i do like the idea of a spokesman. if the reporter ask a question, and we get 8 people answering at once, that can be hectic. but with a spokesperson, he can answer. and if someone else wants to add to his answer, they can comment afterwards his.

but so far, i havent even seen peter say he will accept the role of spokesperson; just people recommending him. so mabye we should see if he even okay with being a spokesperson. i personally havent even met him yet. so i not even sure who peter is or his username. so mabye i overlooked that he has accepted the role. if thats the case, disregard my statement that he hasnt accepted it.

John563

I met Peter and his wife at our last meet and greet. Both were very nice and from what I understand they do have a lot of kids I also think that he would be a good Rep, in time. It’s just hard to talk and answer questions for a group if you have only met the group once or twice.

ChiangShih

Personally I don't think this whole spokesman thing will be an issue. Most reporters/journalists bring a tape recorder and have a list of questions prepared, then they go back through the recording later and write their article how they see fit. However, this is only how I've seen it done and does not rule out the possibility of a one on one interview with a representative. If the latter occurs, I do feel that the speaker, whoever it may be should probably prep some talking points so they aren't blind sided by any question (especially if the journalist is leaning toward the liberal side or wishes to play devils advocate). For instance, in a lot of the on TV OC interviews (specifically the Daily Show with John Stewart), the OCer got caught up on a lot of constitutional, personal protection one liners and they kind of made a joke out of him. One of the most fundamental questions is "why do you open carry?" and too many OCers have a tendency to go straight to the "its my right!" or "personal protection!" lines. So, just in case, whomever he asks directly, or whomever we choose to talk should keep in mind, that remaining political and articulate is very important, as we do not want to give the media any way to portray us in a negative light.

Just for fun and maybe to keep in mind, my prepackaged response to "why do you open carry?"

The only time the general public hears about people with firearms is when bad guys are doing bad things, either on the news or in popular media. I open carry my firearm to show the general public that there are good normal people from all walks of life who responsibly carry and own firearms. It is my way of subtle activism to ease, socialize, and make aware the general public to open carry and our laws and rights.

Anyway see you guys next weekend.

peterarthur

Lol... somehow I missed this thread as I was following the discussion to attend in another thread. If you all feel like we need one person to be designated as a "spokesperson", I have no problem with that. But I suspect that most of us like to speak for ourselves, as some of you have already indicated. At any rate, I will be there next Saturday so I can do or not do whatever is (or is not ) needed. :)

BTW, my wife had a great time and really enjoyed talking to all of you that went to Logans. See you next week and I will be monitoring the thread now! Just in case you wonder how I missed it, I have been working on the Jacob Turk campaign for the last few weeks (please do what you can to help us unseat Cleaver) AND I start an awesome new job next week so I have been BUSY :D

'Til then...

goalseter88

Just for fun and maybe to keep in mind, my prepackaged response to "why do you open carry?"

The only time the general public hears about people with firearms is when bad guys are doing bad things, either on the news or in popular media. I open carry my firearm to show the general public that there are good normal people from all walks of life who responsibly carry and own firearms. It is my way of subtle activism to ease, socialize, and make aware the general public to open carry and our laws and rights.

Anyway see you guys next weekend.

+1 on your response, i like it.

Jim40Cal

Peter: I have the reporters phone number if you would like to talk to him before the meeting.
I haven't heard from him lately so don't no whats up with that. I think someone a little more experienced than me should talk to him and explain what we do and why we do it. James