• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LEO Encounter, No (e) Check

Publius

Less than 30 minutes ago I had a local LEO pull up behind me as I was walking and talking with a local resident, that is why my smartphone wasn't already out ready to record the encounter, but from memory here was my less than 1 minute encounter we her.

Officer - "Hello"

Me - "Hey"

Officer - "Is that unloaded?"

Me - "If it weren't it wouldn't be legal"

Officer - "Okay"

Then I walked away and continued my conversation with the local I knew, with no follow up by the Officer.

So my question, have any of you ever had a LEO encounter here while OCing that didn't result in an (e) check? I have had a variety of LEO encounters, but this was a first for me.

Devilinbp

Just yesterday while UOC at my local Liquor Store with two of my sons i saw a police cruiser pull into the parking lot(you have a view of the driveway through the doorway when you are at the register). After making my purchase i passed the LEO at the entrance and said hello to him as i started my short walk home. He replied in kind and went into the store himself. That was the extent of the encounter. I must give credit to the El Cajon PD, they have done a pretty good job of respecting UOC'ers overall.

K

kittyhawk63

Just yesterday while UOC at my local Liquor Store with two of my sons i saw a police cruiser pull into the parking lot(you have a view of the driveway through the doorway when you are at the register). After making my purchase i passed the LEO at the entrance and said hello to him as i started my short walk home. He replied in kind and went into the store himself. That was the extent of the encounter. I must give credit to the El Cajon PD, they have done a pretty good job of respecting UOC'ers overall.

I would be willing to bet that he went inside to see if the person at the register knew you by name, so he could run a check on you.

hgreen

We've had e-checks only ONCE out of all of our events that SBOC has put on.

Individually I've never been e-checked, mostly ignored by police or similar interactions as the OP where they just verbally ask if its unloaded with no follow up.

Even in CA National Parks have never been e-checked or even talked to by park rangers despite talking directly to them about unrelated matters while OCing.

Firemark

My recent E check was very polite, I think the Deputy believed I was LE. Crossed paths in a Quiznos, I was almost going out the door he had just come in. He saw the sidearm, we made eye contact, nodded hello, then I went outside to eat at the patio table. He followed me out and said.
"Excuse me, dont mean to bother you, I didnt see your badge, do you have ID?"
(me) "Oh I dont carry ID"
"You dont have your badge?"
(me) "No, I dont have any ID on me at all" (I always sterile carry)
at this point the expression on his face changed, he realized he wasnt talking to a plain colthes officer. Then he was thinking about what was it he was supposed to do now.
"Do you mind if I check if its unloaded"
(me) "Sure you can check it I dont mind" (he had been so nice and friendly, I obliged)
"Thank you for letting me check, enjoy your lunch"
(me) "You too, deputy, Thanks."

Although it was an E check and not really a "NO E Check" it was so cordial and friendly figured I share it.
I think its working, the more people carry and more often the more LE is adjusting.