Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Macomb Twp. dad who shot daughter, 12, charged

Macomb Twp. dad who shot daughter, 12, charged

"Are you sure Hank done it this way?" - Waylon Jennings

To error is human and everyone has made mistakes they would never tell others I am sure. I am sure he is suffering the humiliation and guilt of his daughters injuries couple with that nagging "what if?"
    Lord only know what his wife is doing to make it worse on him.

But this needs to be a lesson to all of us. I have suffered the scorn of those who think I am paranoid about safety and I worry too much, for this I say I rest my case....

My heart goes out to him, his daughter and family and I hope the little one does not suffer any lasting injuries, and neither does dad and the family over this... Sometimes these events even though tragic in nature brings strength to a family, when they realize what they could have lost.

Quote Originally Posted by bandersnatch View Post
    Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

This reminded me of a ancient Colt .25 auto I once had, and it was really old. It was a 1910 if memory serves me. I had shot it many times and one night I placed the magazine in the gun and was about to battery the slide and I pointed it at a really huge dresser I had that weighed around 300 pounds the wood was so massive. Suddenly that slide went forward and it went full auto on me. Every round in my beloved dresser...

My buddy had seconds before called me paranoid for making sure it was point at the dresser and said "what is it gonna do, go machine gun Kelly on ya?"

He never again made any remarks about me being paranoid.....

Exo 22:2 "If anyone catches a thief breaking in and hits him so that he dies, he is not guilty of murder.
    Luke 22:36: "Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luk 11:21 "When a strong man, with all his weapons ready, guards his own house, all his belongings are safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailenforcer View Post
    To error is human and everyone has made mistakes they would never tell others I am sure. I am sure he is suffering the humiliation and guilt of his daughters injuries couple with that nagging "what if?"
    Lord only know what his wife is doing to make it worse on him.

But this needs to be a lesson to all of us. I have suffered the scorn of those who think I am paranoid about safety and I worry too much, for this I say I rest my case....

My heart goes out to him, his daughter and family and I hope the little one does not suffer any lasting injuries, and neither does dad and the family over this... Sometimes these events even though tragic in nature brings strength to a family, when they realize what they could have lost.
    Yep... To err IS human and everyone has made mistakes but he not only has to suffer the humiliation and guilt of his daughter's injuries coupled with that nagging "what if", but he also has to contend with criminal charges...as if that will teach him. Some here will probably disagree but I think it's enough that he has to deal with his daughter being injured... to be charged with criminal action too seems to be a bit of overkill. Just my opinion.
    Giving up our liberties for safety is the one sure way to let the violent among us win.

"Though defensive violence will always be a 'sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men." -Saint Augustine

Disclaimer – I am not a lawyer! Please do not consider anything you read from me to be legal advice.

Yea but why would the Government not cash in on peoples misery?

I do agree 100% with you.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTodd View Post
    Yep... To err IS human and everyone has made mistakes but he not only has to suffer the humiliation and guilt of his daughter's injuries coupled with that nagging "what if", but he also has to contend with criminal charges...as if that will teach him. Some here will probably disagree but I think it's enough that he has to deal with his daughter being injured... to be charged with criminal action too seems to be a bit of overkill. Just my opinion.

Gotta love the Glock strip procedures which require you pull the trigger to break it down -- almost as much as you gotta love folks who pull the trigger w/o checking the chamber. *sighs*
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

I agree

I feel sorry for him and his daughter. She will probably never want anything to do with guns ever again. I think the main reason they are charging him is because a child is involved. The poor man will probably never get over the guilt of having injured his daughter.

There is really no excuse for this to have ever happened. It's very simple. Before you start to clean your gun, drop the mag and rack the slide. Make a visual inspection to make sure there is no ammo in the gun. While you are doing this the gun should be pointed in a safe direction. We all know how to do this. This was negligence, plain and simple. Glad the girl is okay. Don't bet that this will make the family any closer. His wife is probably furious with him and rightfully so.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

yes this man has broken the rules of safe gun handling, and it was a terrible accident that fortunately wasn't a tragic accident. i know how i would feel if i "accidently" shot someone i cared for. this man will suffer over this for a very long time, and to charge him with child endangerment is not needed. it's only purpose is to rid the man of his firearms, and make everyone feel better that the state is watching out for you. it will not make things better, it will not call the bullet back, it will not take back the injuries incurred by the child, both mental and physical. it can't help the family work past this incident, it can't make it better in anyway at all.

what it will do is make EVERYTHING harder, not only does he have to contend with an injured daughter now he has to explain to his daughter that the cops are trying to send daddy to jail, for what he did, hows that going to make things better? he has to deal with his wife and explain the same thing, they might divorce over this, hows that helping? there will huge amounts of money spent to fight these charges in court, and he will still probably go to jail, at a time he needs to be with his family to work things out with them, that will certainly not help hold the family together. the kid might be made a ward of the state! sent to a foster home and not allowed contact with the only ones who can be reasonably expected to help her through this difficult time, that will help a whole lot won't it.

charging the guy is not justified in this case IMO
    Last edited by NHCGRPR45; 10-25-2010 at 09:09 PM.

i agree that he should not go to jail.

but, maybe he should not ever have a gun again either. i do not know if you should get to shoot a kid and keep your guns. call me crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by ElectricianLU58 View Post
    i agree that he should not go to jail.

but, maybe he should not ever have a gun again either. i do not know if you should get to shoot a kid and keep your guns. call me crazy.
    You think he should lose his rights forever over this? I will call you crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    i guess i kinda do. you probably shouldn't shoot your kids. maybe we can agree to disagree.

•(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

Banned

In - A - Nutshell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post
    yes this man has broken the rules of safe gun handling, and it was a terrible accident that fortunately wasn't a tragic accident. i know how i would feel if i "accidently" shot someone i cared for. this man will suffer over this for a very long time, and to charge him with child endangerment is not needed. it's only purpose is to rid the man of his firearms, and make everyone feel better that the state is watching out for you. it will not make things better, it will not call the bullet back, it will not take back the injuries incurred by the child, both mental and physical. it can't help the family work past this incident, it can't make it better in anyway at all.

what it will do is make EVERYTHING harder, not only does he have to contend with an injured daughter now he has to explain to his daughter that the cops are trying to send daddy to jail, for what he did, hows that going to make things better? he has to deal with his wife and explain the same thing, they might divorce over this, hows that helping? there will huge amounts of money spent to fight these charges in court, and he will still probably go to jail, at a time he needs to be with his family to work things out with them, that will certainly not help hold the family together. the kid might be made a ward of the state! sent to a foster home and not allowed contact with the only ones who can be reasonably expected to help her through this difficult time, that will help a whole lot won't it.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by detroit_fan View Post
    I'll second that.

Quote Originally Posted by T Vance View Post
    •(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.
    I like your location, keep it that way.

To error is human . . .
    1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

To err is human. To break ALL THREE of the simplest gun handling rules on earth, at once, is COLOSSALLY STUPID. If he had simply followed any ONE of the rules, the girl would not have been hurt (the rules are designed to be redundant that way).

This was negligence resulting in harm, we have laws to deal with it, and the guy deserves the full measure of the penalties prescribed by law. I have daughters as well, so I feel for the guy . . . but that's part of the reasons why I observe the safety rules religiously and won't ever be in the position this guy is in.
    "The principle of self-defense, even involving weapons and bloodshed, has never been condemned, even by Gandhi . . ."--Dr. Martin Luther King Jr

“He who cannot protect himself or his nearest and dearest or their honor by non-violently facing death, may and ought to do so by violently dealing with the oppressor. He who can do neither of the two is a burden.”--M. K. Gandhi

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win." --M. K. Gandhi

Maybe our Government needs to take the Hippocratic oath and first do NO harm.

They are cashing in, no more no less. To punish this family after what happened is a crime. It will no NO one any good.

Quote Originally Posted by NHCGRPR45 View Post

Well I hope your weapon never has an extractor failure when you pull the slide back and maybe what other things that maybe happens that we are Monday Morning quarter backing on........

We disagree. They have been punished enough to make them possibly homeless after he can't pay Lawyers fees isn't an answer.... Explain that to his daughter...

He may have lost his job over it as seen by the Judgmental attitudes of the high and mighty in this site. Of course he screwed up, but I am amazed at the complete lack of sane judgment on some of these posts. Maybe we can draw and quarter him while we are at it? He is a gun owner not a bank robber that I read, or a gang banger doin a drive by....

Quote Originally Posted by DanM View Post
    1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
    2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
    3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

To err is human. To break ALL THREE of the simplest gun handling rules on earth, at once, is COLOSSALLY STUPID. If he had simply followed any ONE of the rules, the girl would not have been hurt (the rules are designed to be redundant that way).

This was negligence resulting in harm, we have laws to deal with it, and the guy deserves the full measure of the penalties prescribed by law. I have daughters as well, so I feel for the guy . . . but that's part of the reasons why I observe the safety rules religiously and won't ever be in the position this guy is in.
    Last edited by Bailenforcer; 10-26-2010 at 12:16 AM.

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    I feel sorry for him and his daughter. She will probably never want anything to do with guns ever again. I think the main reason they are charging him is because a child is involved. The poor man will probably never get over the guilt of having injured his daughter.

There is really no excuse for this to have ever happened. It's very simple. Before you start to clean your gun, drop the mag and rack the slide. Make a visual inspection to make sure there is no ammo in the gun. While you are doing this the gun should be pointed in a safe direction. We all know how to do this. This was negligence, plain and simple. Glad the girl is okay. Don't bet that this will make the family any closer. His wife is probably furious with him and rightfully so.
    The part of the gun being pointed in a safe direction is the most important part,considering it could accidently discharge at any time.Thats one of the things that went through my mind when a LEO pointed his gun at me,he violated the first safety lesson I recieved 39 years ago when I was 14,getting my safety training so I could get my huntin license.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Good point and we have NO idea whats really happened, yes he made a grave mistake, but what bothers me more is the many who judge with no facts.... Too many in here give credit to those who describe us as heartless gun nuts. To judge a man based on zero facts other than he daughter was shot is a bit myopic.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    Gotta love the Glock strip procedures which require you pull the trigger to break it down -- almost as much as you gotta love folks who pull the trigger w/o checking the chamber. *sighs*

Good point and we have NO idea whats really happened, yes he made a grave mistake, but what bothers me more is the many who judge with no facts.... Too many in here give credit to those who describe us as heartless gun nuts. To judge a man based on zero facts other than he daughter was shot is a bit myopic.
    We have a very GOOD idea of what happened! A man shot his daughter while cleaning his gun because of his own negligence! It doesn't get much more serious than that. Yes, people make mistakes, and sometimes they are fatal ones. Fortunately that wasn't the case here. He committed a criminal act through his own negligence, injuring his own daughter and all you think he should get is to say "I'm sorry"?!? What if, God forbid, he had killed her? Would the fact that it was an accident make him any less guilty of manslaughter or negligent homicide? I don't think so. I would not and could not support anyone so careless with a firearm. I think whatever punishment he receives is justified. There have to be consequences for acts like this or why have any laws at all? What if she had been shot by a stray bullet from a neighbor's gun? Would you still feel the same? She would still be shot, regardless of who pulled the trigger, even if it was an accident. It's incidents like this that give the Anti's more ammo to fight us with. Then to insist on setting the law aside and not punishing this man for his negligence would really inflame them, and rightly so. We cannot apply the law/laws when we feel like it. They apply equally across the board to all of us, all the time, thank God. I wonder how many people die every year due to accidents like this. Whether shot by a family member accidentally or by a stranger accidentally, how do you think those family members feel? If it were me, I would want to see someone punished for my child's injury or death. This person, more than likely, will not own any more firearms; he probably will get rid of them voluntarily. I am not for depriving him of his 2A rights, I don't believe in that, but he may have no choice because of what he has done. I believe that in most states shooting someone, even accidentally is a felony and if so, he will lose his guns and his right to own any.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby View Post
    We have a very GOOD idea of what happened! A man shot his daughter while cleaning his gun because of his own negligence! It doesn't get much more serious than that. Yes, people make mistakes, and sometimes they are fatal ones. Fortunately that wasn't the case here. He committed a criminal act through his own negligence, injuring his own daughter and all you think he should get is to say "I'm sorry"?!? What if, God forbid, he had killed her? Would the fact that it was an accident make him any less guilty of manslaughter or negligent homicide? I don't think so. I would not and could not support anyone so careless with a firearm. I think whatever punishment he receives is justified. There have to be consequences for acts like this or why have any laws at all? What if she had been shot by a stray bullet from a neighbor's gun? Would you still feel the same? She would still be shot, regardless of who pulled the trigger, even if it was an accident. It's incidents like this that give the Anti's more ammo to fight us with. Then to insist on setting the law aside and not punishing this man for his negligence would really inflame them, and rightly so. We cannot apply the law/laws when we feel like it. They apply equally across the board to all of us, all the time, thank God. I wonder how many people die every year due to accidents like this. Whether shot by a family member accidentally or by a stranger accidentally, how do you think those family members feel? If it were me, I would want to see someone punished for my child's injury or death. This person, more than likely, will not own any more firearms; he probably will get rid of them voluntarily. I am not for depriving him of his 2A rights, I don't believe in that, but he may have no choice because of what he has done. I believe that in most states shooting someone, even accidentally is a felony and if so, he will lose his guns and his right to own any.
    There is no greater punishment then to have injured or killed a loved one.Ask someone who knows.Accidents have no intent.There is no room for PC.
    Last edited by hamaneggs; 10-26-2010 at 01:38 AM.
    Today JESUS would tell me to sell my coat and buy two Springfield XD Compact 45acp's!

NRA LIFER,GOA,MOC Inc.,CLSD,MCRGO,UAW! MOLON LABE!!

Banned
    There is a HUGE difference in an accidernt, and an intensional act, and the punishments, (if any) should be metered accordingly. Should the parent who turned quickly, and burned their child with a pan, or cigarette be punished equally as the one who burns their child for a "punishment" ? Should the person who crashes into someone in a car injuring or killing someone else, be punished with the same strength of law, that a drunk or a fleeing felon deserves? Why then, should we as gun owners, suddenly turn on one of our own for what is no different?

Quote Originally Posted by T Vance View Post
    I did have my reservations about posting the link here as it is not directly oc related, but with the seemingly increase of firearm related stories in the local media lately, I wondered if it was not best for us to stay on top of what we can. But, I do concur, this link was off-topic and was more appropriate for the General Discussion or The Lounge. Next time.
    "Are you sure Hank done it this way?" - Waylon Jennings

I did have my reservations about posting the link here as it is not directly oc related, but with the seemingly increase of firearm related stories in the local media lately, I wondered if it was not best for us to stay on top of what we can. But, I do concur, this link was off-topic and was more appropriate for the General Discussion or The Lounge. Next time.
    I wouldn't worry about it much. You can always hit the "!" inside the triangle icon to report a thread/post that does not meet the Forum Rules (even on your own threads/posts!). This goes to the Admins quicker than a PM does (according to Mike). I did this for this thread, we will see if it gets moved to the Lounge. I used to post about the Forum Rules to people, but decided the Admins are quite capable of doing their jobs and just report items as I feel the need (normally only when personal attacks are on-going).

BTW - John and Mike are not militant about the rules and threads I have thought should be deleted/moved have not. Since it is "their house", I have no issues with that. If I really feel a need to discuss it with a specific person, I tend to send a PM which of late I do not do much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast