• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Macomb Twp. dad who shot daughter, 12, charged

Bailenforcer

To error is human and everyone has made mistakes they would never tell others I am sure. I am sure he is suffering the humiliation and guilt of his daughters injuries couple with that nagging "what if?"
Lord only know what his wife is doing to make it worse on him.

But this needs to be a lesson to all of us. I have suffered the scorn of those who think I am paranoid about safety and I worry too much, for this I say I rest my case....

My heart goes out to him, his daughter and family and I hope the little one does not suffer any lasting injuries, and neither does dad and the family over this... Sometimes these events even though tragic in nature brings strength to a family, when they realize what they could have lost.

Bailenforcer

This reminded me of a ancient Colt .25 auto I once had, and it was really old. It was a 1910 if memory serves me. I had shot it many times and one night I placed the magazine in the gun and was about to battery the slide and I pointed it at a really huge dresser I had that weighed around 300 pounds the wood was so massive. Suddenly that slide went forward and it went full auto on me. Every round in my beloved dresser...

My buddy had seconds before called me paranoid for making sure it was point at the dresser and said "what is it gonna do, go machine gun Kelly on ya?"

He never again made any remarks about me being paranoid.....

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
To error is human and everyone has made mistakes they would never tell others I am sure. I am sure he is suffering the humiliation and guilt of his daughters injuries couple with that nagging "what if?"
Lord only know what his wife is doing to make it worse on him.

But this needs to be a lesson to all of us. I have suffered the scorn of those who think I am paranoid about safety and I worry too much, for this I say I rest my case....

My heart goes out to him, his daughter and family and I hope the little one does not suffer any lasting injuries, and neither does dad and the family over this... Sometimes these events even though tragic in nature brings strength to a family, when they realize what they could have lost.

Yep... To err IS human and everyone has made mistakes but he not only has to suffer the humiliation and guilt of his daughter's injuries coupled with that nagging "what if", but he also has to contend with criminal charges...as if that will teach him. Some here will probably disagree but I think it's enough that he has to deal with his daughter being injured... to be charged with criminal action too seems to be a bit of overkill. Just my opinion.

Bailenforcer

Yea but why would the Government not cash in on peoples misery?

I do agree 100% with you.

Yep... To err IS human and everyone has made mistakes but he not only has to suffer the humiliation and guilt of his daughter's injuries coupled with that nagging "what if", but he also has to contend with criminal charges...as if that will teach him. Some here will probably disagree but I think it's enough that he has to deal with his daughter being injured... to be charged with criminal action too seems to be a bit of overkill. Just my opinion.

TheQ

Gotta love the Glock strip procedures which require you pull the trigger to break it down -- almost as much as you gotta love folks who pull the trigger w/o checking the chamber. *sighs*

detroit_fan

I agree

Ruby

I feel sorry for him and his daughter. She will probably never want anything to do with guns ever again. I think the main reason they are charging him is because a child is involved. The poor man will probably never get over the guilt of having injured his daughter.

There is really no excuse for this to have ever happened. It's very simple. Before you start to clean your gun, drop the mag and rack the slide. Make a visual inspection to make sure there is no ammo in the gun. While you are doing this the gun should be pointed in a safe direction. We all know how to do this. This was negligence, plain and simple. Glad the girl is okay. Don't bet that this will make the family any closer. His wife is probably furious with him and rightfully so.

NHCGRPR45

Yea but why would the Government not cash in on peoples misery?

I do agree 100% with you.

yes this man has broken the rules of safe gun handling, and it was a terrible accident that fortunately wasn't a tragic accident:mad:. i know how i would feel if i "accidently" shot someone i cared for. this man will suffer over this for a very long time, and to charge him with child endangerment is not needed. it's only purpose is to rid the man of his firearms, and make everyone feel better that the state is watching out for you. it will not make things better, it will not call the bullet back, it will not take back the injuries incurred by the child, both mental and physical. it can't help the family work past this incident, it can't make it better in anyway at all.

what it will do is make EVERYTHING harder:banghead:, not only does he have to contend with an injured daughter now he has to explain to his daughter that the cops are trying to send daddy to jail, for what he did, hows that going to make things better? he has to deal with his wife and explain the same thing, they might divorce over this, hows that helping? there will huge amounts of money spent to fight these charges in court, and he will still probably go to jail, at a time he needs to be with his family to work things out with them, that will certainly not help hold the family together. the kid might be made a ward of the state! sent to a foster home and not allowed contact with the only ones who can be reasonably expected to help her through this difficult time, that will help a whole lot won't it.

charging the guy is not justified in this case IMO

Last edited:

T Vance

•(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

stainless1911

Banned
yes this man has broken the rules of safe gun handling, and it was a terrible accident that fortunately wasn't a tragic accident:mad:. i know how i would feel if i "accidently" shot someone i cared for. this man will suffer over this for a very long time, and to charge him with child endangerment is not needed. it's only purpose is to rid the man of his firearms, and make everyone feel better that the state is watching out for you. it will not make things better, it will not call the bullet back, it will not take back the injuries incurred by the child, both mental and physical. it can't help the family work past this incident, it can't make it better in anyway at all.

what it will do is make EVERYTHING harder:banghead:, not only does he have to contend with an injured daughter now he has to explain to his daughter that the cops are trying to send daddy to jail, for what he did, hows that going to make things better? he has to deal with his wife and explain the same thing, they might divorce over this, hows that helping? there will huge amounts of money spent to fight these charges in court, and he will still probably go to jail, at a time he needs to be with his family to work things out with them, that will certainly not help hold the family together. the kid might be made a ward of the state! sent to a foster home and not allowed contact with the only ones who can be reasonably expected to help her through this difficult time, that will help a whole lot won't it.

Couldn't agree more. Well said.

You think he should lose his rights forever over this? I will call you crazy.

I'll second that.

•(8) KEEP IT ON-TOPIC: All gun rights discussions not directly related to open carry should take place in the "General Discussions" forum and topics that are not related to gun rights at all should take place in "The Lounge". Please police your own posts before posting them and help keep OCDO strong and focused.

I like your location, keep it that way.

DanM

To error is human . . .

1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

To err is human. To break ALL THREE of the simplest gun handling rules on earth, at once, is COLOSSALLY STUPID. If he had simply followed any ONE of the rules, the girl would not have been hurt (the rules are designed to be redundant that way).

This was negligence resulting in harm, we have laws to deal with it, and the guy deserves the full measure of the penalties prescribed by law. I have daughters as well, so I feel for the guy . . . but that's part of the reasons why I observe the safety rules religiously and won't ever be in the position this guy is in.

Bailenforcer

Maybe our Government needs to take the Hippocratic oath and first do NO harm.

They are cashing in, no more no less. To punish this family after what happened is a crime. It will no NO one any good.

Bailenforcer

Well I hope your weapon never has an extractor failure when you pull the slide back and maybe what other things that maybe happens that we are Monday Morning quarter backing on........

We disagree. They have been punished enough to make them possibly homeless after he can't pay Lawyers fees isn't an answer.... Explain that to his daughter...

He may have lost his job over it as seen by the Judgmental attitudes of the high and mighty in this site. Of course he screwed up, but I am amazed at the complete lack of sane judgment on some of these posts. Maybe we can draw and quarter him while we are at it? He is a gun owner not a bank robber that I read, or a gang banger doin a drive by....

1. Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
2. Always keep your finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.
3. Always keep the gun unloaded until ready to use.

To err is human. To break ALL THREE of the simplest gun handling rules on earth, at once, is COLOSSALLY STUPID. If he had simply followed any ONE of the rules, the girl would not have been hurt (the rules are designed to be redundant that way).

This was negligence resulting in harm, we have laws to deal with it, and the guy deserves the full measure of the penalties prescribed by law. I have daughters as well, so I feel for the guy . . . but that's part of the reasons why I observe the safety rules religiously and won't ever be in the position this guy is in.

Last edited:

Haman J.T.

I feel sorry for him and his daughter. She will probably never want anything to do with guns ever again. I think the main reason they are charging him is because a child is involved. The poor man will probably never get over the guilt of having injured his daughter.

There is really no excuse for this to have ever happened. It's very simple. Before you start to clean your gun, drop the mag and rack the slide. Make a visual inspection to make sure there is no ammo in the gun. While you are doing this the gun should be pointed in a safe direction. We all know how to do this. This was negligence, plain and simple. Glad the girl is okay. Don't bet that this will make the family any closer. His wife is probably furious with him and rightfully so.
The part of the gun being pointed in a safe direction is the most important part,considering it could accidently discharge at any time.Thats one of the things that went through my mind when a LEO pointed his gun at me,he violated the first safety lesson I recieved 39 years ago when I was 14,getting my safety training so I could get my huntin license.

Bailenforcer

Good point and we have NO idea whats really happened, yes he made a grave mistake, but what bothers me more is the many who judge with no facts.... Too many in here give credit to those who describe us as heartless gun nuts. To judge a man based on zero facts other than he daughter was shot is a bit myopic.

Gotta love the Glock strip procedures which require you pull the trigger to break it down -- almost as much as you gotta love folks who pull the trigger w/o checking the chamber. *sighs*