• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Instances of succesful self defense against serial killers

petrophase

Campaign Veteran
I read an article recently about scary movies. It was a "top list" of scariest movies of the past 20 years. Several of the movies listed were about real or dramatized serial killers. I am not a big fan of violent movies myself, and I find slasher movies and torture movies repugnant. Consequently, I don't watch them. I find it disturbing that these types of movies often gain popularity and mainstream acceptance (e.g. the Saw movies).

It would be heartening to hear about some real instances were an armed victim was able to defend him/herself against a serial killer.

TyGuy

I like scary/suspenseful movies. I don't particularly care for gory movies, although sometimes it's ok (Braveheart, etc....), and I really don't like the torture genre of movies.

When I watch scary movies or TV I often point out things to my wife about how it could be over already had the victim been armed. What can I say, I take personal protection seriously.

AlabamaFamilyMan

Short flick...

Would that be like a cartoon?

Creepy guy in lair with candles, pictures, etc., gets geared up with boots, coat, hockey mask, chainsaw - rev's it up and walks out - BLAM! End of movie.

AFM

:dude:

Jack House

It would be heartening to hear about some real instances were an armed victim was able to defend him/herself against a serial killer.
I doubt there are very many. Serial killers are usually selective about who they kill, and pounce only when they have the upper hand.

Daylen

I read an article recently about scary movies. It was a "top list" of scariest movies of the past 20 years. Several of the movies listed were about real or dramatized serial killers. I am not a big fan of violent movies myself, and I find slasher movies and torture movies repugnant. Consequently, I don't watch them. I find it disturbing that these types of movies often gain popularity and mainstream acceptance (e.g. the Saw movies).

Hence why there are many movies I can't watch because of frustration:
-If the plot and movie can only continue because the main character is a looser and can't/won't defend himself.
-If the plot and movie can only exist/continue because the bad guy has infinite resources, infinite intelligence, infinite fore thought, or any other great resource when compared to the main character.

ooghost1oo

Very doubtful we'll ever hear a story about defending against a serial killer. Because serial killers become quasi-famous and are pretty rare, and their killers are even more rare.

But sure, let's keep talking about movies. ;)

I doubt many warriors would be able to defend themselves from Dexter...

Jack House

Very doubtful we'll ever hear a story about defending against a serial killer. Because serial killers become quasi-famous and are pretty rare, and their killers are even more rare.

But sure, let's keep talking about movies. ;)

I doubt many warriors would be able to defend themselves from Dexter...
Well, like I said. Serial killers tend to be fairly intelligent, and are basically hunters of humans. Just like a hunter is not likely to be killed by a deer, a serial killer is not likely to be killed by his victim. They're more likely to be killed by cops than a victim, but even that is pretty rare. Most serial killers are taken alive.