Thread: Traveling with firearms.

Traveling with firearms.

Are there any special requirments for airports in california?

The key regulatory requirements to transporting firearms, firearm parts or ammunition in checked baggage are:...

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

this is also airline specific. I'm pretty sure various airlines have different rules/stipulations, so check with who your traveling with first. Every time I flew I left ammo(which I think is required) at home and bought where I was going to. Declare your firearm when you check in, they will inspect that it is not loaded and you get a nice orange sticker on your bag. Thats pretty much it.
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

I know the TSA and airline regs. i've traveled with firearms before. i was looking more for any state regs. like new york, if you try to fly with one, just entering the airport with the gun is an felony.

http://californiaopencarry.org/faq.html

This breaks down where you can and can't carry, and is pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by gtparlette View Post
    I know the TSA and airline regs. i've traveled with firearms before. i was looking more for any state regs. like new york, if you try to fly with one, just entering the airport with the gun is an felony.
    As long as you are storing it properly they are not "supposed" to be able to charge you with anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
    this is also airline specific. I'm pretty sure various airlines have different rules/stipulations, so check with who your traveling with first. Every time I flew I left ammo(which I think is required) at home and bought where I was going to. Declare your firearm when you check in, they will inspect that it is not loaded and you get a nice orange sticker on your bag. Thats pretty much it.
    I've never had my bags marked in any way, it's my understanding that they are not allowed to mark the bag to indicate that it contains firearms.
    $2 Bill - Calling Card of the 2A Movement
    If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.
    Seriously, who is John Galt?
    Vires et honestas

NRA and DOJ info on travel with firearms.

I usually fly southwest(and have a lay-over somehwere). I was always given a tag. Not that it specifically said firearm, I think it stated that the bag has been inspected and is "safe." This usually only happens when you have to declare something though. Of course its been a while since i have flown with a firearm....