• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MSP Legal Update is Up!

ElectricianLU58

that worked. printing now! thank you to all of you who helped make this happen. this will clarify so many details!

it is getting better every day.

we need to remember that there are still police out there who will look to harass open carriers, regardless of this update. a policeman tried to intimidate NHCGRPR45 only yesterday.

Michigander

Edit: I had read it too quickly and thought that they failed to show how out of state people with non resident licenses can OC here, but thank you Bronson for showing me I was incorrect. Hats off to MSP and autosurgeon.

We need to remember that there are still police out there who will look to harass open carriers, regardless of this update. a policeman tried to intimidate NHCGRPR45 only yesterday.

That cop was as described acting like a jackass, but it sounded like he did everything by the rules or close to it, and pretty much in accordance with the Bill of Rights. I don't support or condone the officers attitude, and having OC'd past thousands of kids getting out of and going to school in Arizona with plenty of cops watching, I believe that this form of interaction is completely needless, but I can't specifically demonize that particular cop. Much more serious issues still arise fairly regularly.

Last edited:

lapeer20m

How exciting! This update is extraordinarily valuable!

I am happy it was posted so soon

Can someone do me a favor and post a link to the actual update. I am unable to open the link from the msp main update page on my iPhone

Last edited:

Onnie

Very nice, I am a little concerned about this statement:

There is no way to “open carry” a pistol in a vehicle. An individual, without a CPL or otherwise exempted (e.g., a police officer), who transports a pistol in a vehicle to an area where he or she intends to “open carry” may be in violation of MCL 750.227.

we know we can transport a weapon, MCL 750.231A guides us on transportation of pistols in a vehicle for a "Lawful purpose" and it included 8 examples.

But the update seems to indicate that someone who does not have a cpl and is transporting a weapon to an open carry event, even though they have it unloaded and properly stowed in the truck or out of direct access to occupants of the vehicle, that they may be in violation of MCL 720.227, which in parts says you can not carry a weapon without a cpl "concealed or otherwise" in a vehicle.

Seems that the update may be giving an hint to LEO's that if someone is heading to "A Public Shoot Facility" they would be legal, but if everything was equal and they were heading to a "open carry" event, they could be in violation of MCL 720.227. We know that MCL 750.231a states examples of what lawful purposes included and by the word "include" leads one to believe that this is not the full list of LAWFUL exceptions to allow one to transport a pistol. But I also think the wording of the update suggests that if a NON CPL holder who may be stopped with a weapon in his vehicle admits to going to a "open carry" event even with the pistol properly stowed in his vehicle, he may just find himself with a weapons violation.

IMO of course, only time will tell

PDinDetroit

There is no way to “open carry” a pistol in a vehicle. An individual, without a CPL or otherwise exempted (e.g., a police officer), who transports a pistol in a vehicle to an area where he or she intends to “open carry” may be in violation of MCL 750.227.

we know we can transport a weapon, MCL 750.231A guides us on transportation of pistols in a vehicle for a "Lawful purpose" and it included 8 examples.

But the update seems to indicate that someone who does not have a cpl and is transporting a weapon to an open carry event, even though they have it unloaded and properly stowed in the truck or out of direct access to occupants of the vehicle, that they may be in violation of MCL 720.227, which in parts says you can not carry a weapon without a cpl "concealed or otherwise" in a vehicle.

Seems that the update may be giving an hint to LEO's that if someone is heading to "A Public Shoot Facility" they would be legal, but if everything was equal and they were heading to a "open carry" event, they could be in violation of MCL 720.227. We know that MCL 750.231a states examples of what lawful purposes included and by the word "include" leads one to believe that this is not the full list of LAWFUL exceptions to allow one to transport a pistol. But I also think the wording of the update suggests that if a NON CPL holder who may be stopped with a weapon in his vehicle admits to going to a "open carry" event even with the pistol properly stowed in his vehicle, he may just find himself with a weapons violation.

I made suggestions about these items (see #5 & #6 below):

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/s...te-NEW-INFO!&p=1383018&viewfull=1#post1383018

maustin195

I brought that up before also but they chose not the clarify this in the final version.