• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man who shot sea lion to spend 30 days in jail

Coded-Dude

The North Highlands man convicted of shooting a sea lion in the Sacramento River was sentenced to jail Friday morning in Sutter County.
Larry Allen Legans was sentenced to 30 days in jail, five years of probation and ordered to pay restitution of $51,081 for injuring the sea lion that came to be known as Sgt. Nevis.

--Moderator Edited--
See rules on copyright & fair use please
sac bee

More ammo for the anti-gun nuts.......

Flintlock

I am by no means justifying this shooting at all, but this article is totally scant on details. It doesn't say anything about why the shooting took place - was he under attack or was it just to harm the animal? Did the man provoke it? Sea Lions can be very aggressive and there are numerous documented attacks.. Below is one example from a month ago...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...-lion-attack-boy/story-e6freuzi-1225914033716

I went to an Alaska Fish and Game office once and saw a skull of a large, male Sea Lion on display. It looked like it could have been mistaken for a Sabre Tooth Tiger - it was ridiculous.

Last edited:

Coded-Dude

correct this story just covers the penalty for the man's actions.. He reportedly shot the animal because he was "tired of sea lions taking his fish." There was no attack against the fisherman, he was just jealous i guess. Getting angry and shooting a protected species with a shotgun on the river.

if you google sea lion shot, you'll come up with several different articles on the original incident.

Last edited:

Flintlock

Yeah, it appears as if he didn't have any justification at all and he deserves to answer for his crime. However, you were right to paste the link to that photo... What is the law enforcement raid all about? Seems a little over-the-top to me..

Coded-Dude

lol.....dpt of F&G is serious business, especially when it comes to protected animals. /sarcasm

From initial reports the guy may have been off his rocker. They knew he was armed and that he was able and willing to shoot a defenseless creature, so what would he do to armed cops? [its a stretch, but thats all i can think of]

Jack House

correct this story just covers the penalty for the man's actions.. He reportedly shot the animal because he was "tired of sea lions taking his fish." There was no attack against the fisherman, he was just jealous i guess. Getting angry and shooting a protected species with a shotgun on the river.

if you google sea lion shot, you'll come up with several different articles on the original incident.
You sure the sea lion wasn't stealing his fish that he caught?

Coded-Dude

lol, you mean the sea lion was grabbing his fish off the hook while he was reeling them in? I'm sure that has happened plenty of times on the river. Is that any reason to put some shotgun shells into the head of an innocent "protected" animal? If so I am going fishing(cough *bear hunting* cough) in Yosemite very soon! :banana:

Jack House

lol, you mean the sea lion was grabbing his fish off the hook while he was reeling them in? I'm sure that has happened plenty of times on the river. Is that any reason to put some shotgun shells into the head of an innocent "protected" animal? If so I am going fishing(cough *bear hunting* cough) in Yosemite very soon! :banana:
I mean out of the boat. And yeah, if I were trying to fish and everytime I caught one, this animal, whether 'protected' or not, kept stealing it whether on the line or in the boat, I'd be mighty tempted to shoot it too.

sudden valley gunner

I was surfing West Port a few years ago, and one that seemed the size of a VW bug, popped up right next to me checked me out a few minutes before disappearing.

Over the years of surfing I have seen many sharks of various sorts but that about made me *&^% my wet suit. Some of the seals and sea mammals get very aggressive and territorial.

since9

Campaign Veteran
It was a sea lion, not a seal. This particularly animal was a California sea lion: "Their numbers are abundant (188,000 U.S. stock 1995 est.), and the population continues to expand at a rate of approximately 5.0% annually." - Source

This particular seal is recovering well, and eating 40 lbs of fish a day, so I can well imagine the fisherman was getting a bit ticked off by the seal's taking fish from his nets.

The fisherman's actions remain wrong, however, as he was in no personal danger from the animal, and the animal is not on any approved hunting list.

They can certainly be dangerous, however. I've encountered a few while kayaking, as I have dolphins and porpoises, and while I have no trepidation of the latter, sea lions are a bit more "playful," meaning they bumped my kayak twice.

Last edited:

AaronS

It was a sea lion, not a seal. This particularly animal was a California sea lion: "Their numbers are abundant (188,000 U.S. stock 1995 est.), and the population continues to expand at a rate of approximately 5.0% annually." - Source

This particular seal is recovering well, and eating 40 lbs of fish a day, so I can well imagine the fisherman was getting a bit ticked off by the seal's taking fish from his nets.

The fisherman's actions remain wrong, however, as he was in no personal danger from the animal, and the animal is not on any approved hunting list.

They can certainly be dangerous, however. I've encountered a few while kayaking, as I have dolphins and porpoises, and while I have no trepidation of the latter, sea lions are a bit more "playful," meaning they bumped my kayak twice.

Very well put.