Thread: OC Banned at Gun Show in Kennewick

Loaded Firearm Not Allowed in Gun Show

I attended a gun show organized by Sports Connection (based in Park City, MT) this past weekend, Oct 23-24, at the Red Lion Hotel in Kennewick, WA. The man at the door, who apparently organizes and runs the show would not let me enter because I was OCing. When asked why, he gave me a line about CCers who in the past have pulled their gun to show another guy and then it goes "bang."

His show, his rules. I'll respect that. I walked around with an unloaded, zip-tied holstered gun while I was there. I would've had a longer discussion with the guy about it, but there was a line forming behind me and he wasn't receptive to hearing the spiel anyway.

HOWEVER, There were several vendors at the show CCing and probably several customers as well. He made no attempt to enforce his rule with them. There was no sign posted and he wasn't asking everybody if they were CCing. He just stopped the one guy who was OCing.

The show was very small and probably not worth the $6 entry fee anyway.
    Last edited by cbpeck; 10-26-2010 at 01:01 PM.

Curious - what do most of you do when you go to gun shows?

Not carry?

CC?

Leave it in the car? - kinda hope not

"Loaded Firearm Not Allowed in Gun Show"

Your title should problem read "Loaded Firearm Not Allowed in Gun Show" as you carried your pistol according to your account as would one who concealed carry.

This is normal in any gun show that I have attended in Washington State, not an open carry issue.
    Last edited by BigDave; 10-26-2010 at 12:48 PM.
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

I agree... however my frustration was that the show organizer wasn't doing anything to prevent CC. His policy seemed inconsistent.

In hind sight,
    maybe I'm being a little too sensitive to the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    I agree... however my frustration was that the show organizer wasn't doing anything to prevent CC. His policy seemed inconsistent.

In hind sight,
    maybe I'm being a little too sensitive to the issue.
    They have signage at the entrance of these gun shows requiring no loaded firearms inside and have to be cleared and zip tied.
    What are the options, patting down everyone?
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by BigDave View Post
    They have signage at the entrance of these gun shows requiring no loaded firearms inside and have to be cleared and zip tied.
    Seems like the responsible thing to do since his reasoning was that CCers caused the problem.
    "though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Psalms 23:4

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." Benjamin Franklin

“It’s always open season on criminals in Mason County, and there’s no bag limit.” Sen. Tim Sheldon (D)

Molōn labe!

Of course I'm not advocating for pat downs.

This show had no such signage.

I didn't really mind having my gun zip tied. It was more that I was being told to while anybody who CCed wouldn't have been told by a person or sign not to do so. Again, no sign, and several people were CCing inside.

... There was no sign posted and he wasn't asking everybody if they were CCing. He just stopped the one guy who was OCing.
    Re-read the original post.

Of course I'm not advocating for pat downs.

This show had no such signage.

I didn't really mind having my gun zip tied. It was more that I was being told to while anybody who CCed wouldn't have been told by a person or sign not to do so. Again, no sign, and several people were CCing inside.
    Yes I did miss the No Sign portion of your post, I was responding to my past experience at that gun show and in Yakima.
    The issue would be loaded firearms in the gun show and no membership required to boot.
    I agree I am not impressed with the gun shows there as well as so many over priced items when you can go to the local gun store or walmart and by ammo cheaper.

I went to the Portland gun show the other weekend and they zip tied our guns up as well. A few of the booth owners were OCing without zip ties, and of course, the police were OCing without zip ties. I was kinda upset that we had to be zip tied. However, I do not fear for my life at a gun show. There is an arsenal to choose from should anything go down (including axes!).

Joe~

Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post
    I went to the Portland gun show the other weekend and they zip tied our guns up as well. A few of the booth owners were OCing without zip ties, and of course, the police were OCing without zip ties. I was kinda upset that we had to be zip tied. However, I do not fear for my life at a gun show. There is an arsenal to choose from should anything go down (including axes!).

Joe~
    +1

Who has a gun show during hunting season anyway...

those that need to make "last minute hunting purchases" can obtain them... duh! lol
    "And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
    E nomine Patri, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti."

"If the rest of the world says: 'War,' I can only say: 'Very well. I do not want war, but no one, however peaceable, can live in peace if his neighbor intends to force a quarrel.'" - Adolf Hitler...

Quote Originally Posted by joejoejoe View Post

Joe~
    +2
    (Puyallup show though)
    Last edited by Batousaii; 10-27-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.