Thread: Michigan State Police Legal update

Michigan State Police Legal update

A huge victory in Michigan. The Michigan State Police just posted an official legal update in regards to open carry.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ms...2_336854_7.pdf

Finally a State Police or Law Enforcement agency that gets it. I wish all State Police agencies would send out such a concise 2 page summary for there officers to read and have on there person. Good job on the Michigan Open Carry group for working on this.

Banned
    I love to see law enforcers acting lawfully.

Good job, MSP!

Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post
    A huge victory in Michigan. The Michigan State Police just posted an official legal update in regards to open carry.

We could use these types of allownaces in NC, as well as, LEO guidance!

I just printed it off. might be a good thing to keep handy for any encounters.

whats nice is Illinois residents can Open Carry in MI as well to now...

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchet View Post
    whats nice is Illinois residents can Open Carry in MI as well to now...
    Yeah, they just can't carry in Illinois! I am originally from Illinois and there is no way on God's green earth I would live there again. I realize people don't always have a choice of where to live and I am not slamming anyone for living there, please don't take my comment to mean that. I still have family there. I sure hope that one of these days that the citizens of Illinois will have the same right to defend themselves as a lot of other states do. Maybe with Daley gone Illinois residents can make some progress in that direction!
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world; it's the only thing that ever does.- Margaret Mead

Those who will not fight for justice today will fight for their lives in the future,

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. Benjamin Franklin

In just a few more days we will know just how big a fight we have to go . If things go right with the correct guy elected we will be far ahead of the game.

Michigan just moved to the top of my list of states to move to.

Quote Originally Posted by CKM View Post
    Michigan just moved to the top of my list of states to move to.
    And maybe soon we might even have some jobs available!

Kudos to The Michigan State Police!

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter Venator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sprinklerguy28 View Post

This would never have happened if not for all the work Michigan Open Carry, Inc. and it's members and supporters have done over the past 3 years. Kudos to them. And also a thank you to OCDO for maintaning the platform for all the advances on OC in the nation to have taken place.
    Last edited by Venator; 11-04-2010 at 01:25 PM.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

Hopefully with the change in political winds in Michigan we can make a lot more headway on gun rights. I think the time is right with the proper approach.

Am I just tired or does it say, you need to have a "License" to Purchase a pistol and it has to be REGISTERED?

Firearms Act
    MCL 28.422 provides that a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in Michigan without first having obtained a License to Purchase and registering the pistol.

I don't like that.

D_Weezy:

Yes..., in Michigan, a Pistol Purchase Permit is different than a Concealed Carry Permit.

Pistols have to be Registered as well, as against the Owner of the Pistol, per MCL 28.422.

Furthermore, in accordance MCL 750.223, Pistols have to undergo a Safety Inspection as well.

aadvark
    Last edited by aadvark; 11-05-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Aardvark, can you find specifically where it states that, because I cannot find that wording on MCL 750.223.

In addition, when I purchased my XD 45, the Sheriff's Office SPECIFICALLY stated to NOT bring it back for inspection, that it was no longer required.

Confused....
    Last edited by xd shooter; 11-05-2010 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aadvark View Post
    D_Weezy:

Yes..., in Michigan, a Pistol Purchase Permit is different than a Concealed Carry Permit.

Pistols have to be Registered as well, as against the Owner of the Pistol, per MCL 28.422.

Furthermore, in accordance MCL 750.223, Pistols have to undergo a Safety Inspection as well.

aadvark
    Safety inspection was eliminated in 2009. It is now a registration. If you do not have a CPL you must obtain a purchase permit from the local PD, the States way to enact control as the local PD can deny you a purchase permit for just about any reason.

Once you get the permit you fill out the forms and mail them to the appropriate agencies.
    An Amazon best seller "MY PARENTS OPEN CARRY" http://www.myparentsopencarry.com/

*The information contained above is not meant to be legal advice, but is solely intended as a starting point for further research. These are my opinions, if you have further questions it is advisable to seek out an attorney that is well versed in firearm law.

I guessed as much, Thank You!!

Wow, reading this thread about a permit to purchase and registering guns makes me want to barf. Do those who live in Michigan ever wonder what it is like to live in a free state?

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Wow, reading this thread about a permit to purchase and registering guns makes me want to barf. Do those who live in Michigan ever wonder what it is like to live in a free state?
    Yes we do.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    Yes.

The Permit to Purchase is only for handguns and also what we call "Michigan Pistols" (rifles/shotguns OAL between 26-30"). We have some "interesting laws", as Pistol-Free Zones are not truly Pistol-Free (as if they really ever were)!

You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time. Since 2000, we now have "Shall Issue" for CPL and Castle Doctrine among other changes. Now that we have what I would consider a "better climate", it is time to move forward with the changes to Laws/Statutes that will protect firearm rights, not restrict them.

Quote Originally Posted by PDinDetroit View Post
    You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time.
    Well, that's what friends are for. It makes the eatin' go a little bit faster!
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

MI legal update

Prior to this statement, I carried a copy the Michigan States Attorney (Mike Coxís) opinion on open carry, which is in fact what the police agencies are supposed to use in lieu of an actual law on the books. Now I will carry this when I open carry.

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wisconsin, USA

Great job, Michigan Open Carry!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but the legal update (MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf) was just posted on the Wisconsin forum and I wasn't aware of it until now. This is great stuff!

Could somebody please tell me where to get page #1 of this document?

Thanks
    Dave
    45ACP-For when you care enough to send the very best-
    Fight for "Stand Your Ground " legislation!

WI DA Gerald R. Fox:
    "These so-called 'public safety' laws only put decent law-abiding citizens at a dangerous disadvantage when it comes to their personal safety, and I for one am glad that this decades-long era of defective thinking on gun issues is over..."

Remember: Don't make old People mad. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off.