• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan State Police Legal update

M1911a1lvr

Finally a State Police or Law Enforcement agency that gets it. I wish all State Police agencies would send out such a concise 2 page summary for there officers to read and have on there person. Good job on the Michigan Open Carry group for working on this.

Ruby

whats nice is Illinois residents can Open Carry in MI as well to now...

Yeah, they just can't carry in Illinois! I am originally from Illinois and there is no way on God's green earth I would live there again. I realize people don't always have a choice of where to live and I am not slamming anyone for living there, please don't take my comment to mean that. I still have family there. I sure hope that one of these days that the citizens of Illinois will have the same right to defend themselves as a lot of other states do. Maybe with Daley gone Illinois residents can make some progress in that direction!

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
A huge victory in Michigan. The Michigan State Police just posted an official legal update in regards to open carry.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/msp/MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf

This would never have happened if not for all the work Michigan Open Carry, Inc. and it's members and supporters have done over the past 3 years. Kudos to them. And also a thank you to OCDO for maintaning the platform for all the advances on OC in the nation to have taken place.

Last edited:

karlmc10

Hopefully with the change in political winds in Michigan we can make a lot more headway on gun rights. I think the time is right with the proper approach.

D_Weezy

Am I just tired or does it say, you need to have a "License" to Purchase a pistol and it has to be REGISTERED?

Firearms Act
MCL 28.422 provides that a person shall not purchase, carry, possess, or transport a pistol in Michigan without first having obtained a License to Purchase and registering the pistol.

I don't like that. :(

aadvark

D_Weezy:

Yes..., in Michigan, a Pistol Purchase Permit is different than a Concealed Carry Permit.

Pistols have to be Registered as well, as against the Owner of the Pistol, per MCL 28.422.

Furthermore, in accordance MCL 750.223, Pistols have to undergo a Safety Inspection as well.

aadvark

Last edited:

xd shooter

Aardvark, can you find specifically where it states that, because I cannot find that wording on MCL 750.223.

In addition, when I purchased my XD 45, the Sheriff's Office SPECIFICALLY stated to NOT bring it back for inspection, that it was no longer required.

Confused....

Last edited:

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
D_Weezy:

Yes..., in Michigan, a Pistol Purchase Permit is different than a Concealed Carry Permit.

Pistols have to be Registered as well, as against the Owner of the Pistol, per MCL 28.422.

Furthermore, in accordance MCL 750.223, Pistols have to undergo a Safety Inspection as well.

aadvark

Safety inspection was eliminated in 2009. It is now a registration. If you do not have a CPL you must obtain a purchase permit from the local PD, the States way to enact control as the local PD can deny you a purchase permit for just about any reason.

Once you get the permit you fill out the forms and mail them to the appropriate agencies.

Jonesy

Wow, reading this thread about a permit to purchase and registering guns makes me want to barf. Do those who live in Michigan ever wonder what it is like to live in a free state?