• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan State Police Legal update

PDinDetroit

Wow, reading this thread about a permit to purchase and registering guns makes me want to barf. Do those who live in Michigan ever wonder what it is like to live in a free state?

Yes.

The Permit to Purchase is only for handguns and also what we call "Michigan Pistols" (rifles/shotguns OAL between 26-30"). We have some "interesting laws", as Pistol-Free Zones are not truly Pistol-Free (as if they really ever were)!

You have to eat an elephant one bite at a time. Since 2000, we now have "Shall Issue" for CPL and Castle Doctrine among other changes. Now that we have what I would consider a "better climate", it is time to move forward with the changes to Laws/Statutes that will protect firearm rights, not restrict them.

jooos

MI legal update

Prior to this statement, I carried a copy the Michigan States Attorney (Mike Cox’s) opinion on open carry, which is in fact what the police agencies are supposed to use in lieu of an actual law on the books. Now I will carry this when I open carry.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
Great job, Michigan Open Carry!

Sorry to revive such an old thread, but the legal update (MSP_Legal_Update_No._86_2_336854_7.pdf) was just posted on the Wisconsin forum and I wasn't aware of it until now. This is great stuff!

Could somebody please tell me where to get page #1 of this document?

Thanks