Thread: Can I carry to...? Chesapeake Arboretum?

Can I carry to...? Chesapeake Arboretum?

http://chesapeakearboretum.com/

I can not find anything, maybe I am wrong.

I might be going to this place with family and I wanted to know is it allowed OC? I would think so? it is a public place.. But I want to make sure. It isnt state or federal.

We find:

"The Williamson family, along with the Whitehurst and Hall families, donated to the City of Chesapeake the approximately 48 acres including the farmstead that became the Chesapeake Arboretum as we know it today."

That would seem to indicate that the Preemption Statue would apply.

TFred

However... further reading...

We find this:

ARTICLE I

Official Name

Section 1. Chesapeake Arboretum, Inc. is a non-profit corporation organized and existing under the laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia. This organization shall be known as the CHESAPEAKE ARBORETUM.

Not sure what that means.

TFred

Based on
    http://chesapeakearboretum.com/about/history/

The Williamson family, along with the Whitehurst and Hall families, donated to the City of Chesapeake the approximately 48 acres including the farmstead that became the Chesapeake Arboretum as we know it today. The Foundersí vision and energetic efforts can only be considered EXTRAORDINARY. The property is administered by a volunteer Board of Directors, and financed primarily by funds from Friends (members) of the Chesapeake Arboretum and from various grants sources.

+++++++++++++
    http://chesapeakearboretum.com/get-involved/membership/

Your support enables us to promote horticultural, arboricultural and environmental awareness and to maintain the trails, bridges, headquarters farmhouse & grounds, and tree propagation nursery. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization coordinated by a volunteer Board of Director with funding from donations, grants and memberships.
    my guess would be that the Arboretum is in fact owned by the City but that the Friends corporation is involved in matters such as upkeep and activities. There is a similar set-up with Maymont in Rchmond.

As I am not your attorney, I would suggest you call the City Treasurer to find out ownership of the place. It is either on the tax rolls or it's not. Be sure to specify you are looking for ownership of the ground/land.

stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Based on

my guess would be that the Arboretum is in fact owned by the City but that the Friends corporation is involved in matters such as upkeep and activities. There is a similar set-up with Maymont in Rchmond.

As I am not your attorney, I would suggest you call the City Treasurer to find out ownership of the place. It is either on the tax rolls or it's not. Be sure to specify you are looking for ownership of the ground/land.

stay safe.
    What am I looking for? if its private owned or by city? if its owned by the city then Preemption applys and I am good? but if its privatly owned then..? I would have to look for signs?

I looked around on-line, it does not appear that the City of Chesapeake has the ownership information available along with the tax parcel information. The address shown on the web site is only a 3 acre parcel, the main portion of the park is across the street.

If it is city-owned then yes, preemption would apply. If it is not, then they may have the discretion to ban firearms.

TFred

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    I looked around on-line, it does not appear that the City of Chesapeake has the ownership information available along with the tax parcel information.
    A call to the Real Estate Assessor's office should clear it up.

Tax Parcel: 0370000003580
    Address: 624 Oak Grove Road
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Even if it was privatly owned, I could OC unless other wise told no or saw a sign? but if they said leave I must, it would be no different than eating at a family owned restaurant and they ask me to leave?

Quote Originally Posted by ocholsteroc View Post
    Even if it was privatly owned, I could OC unless other wise told no or saw a sign? but if they said leave I must, it would be no different than eating at a family owned restaurant and they ask me to leave?
    Correct.

And that goes for any place that is not owned by the taxpayers through a local unit of government [very rough translation of preemption]. (We are NOT going to get into publc accomodation discussions on this one, are we?)

stay safe.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    We guessed at it long enough so I checked with the Commissioner of Revenue.

The City owns it!
    It's covered by preemption.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    We guessed at it long enough so I checked with the Commissioner of Revenue.

The City owns it!
    It's covered by preemption.
    Peter Nap. The man who has a phone... and knows how to use it!

Of course the funny thing is that the Commissioner of the Revenue may spend the rest of the week scratching his/her head as to why they've gotten two or three calls in one day about who owns the Chesapeake Arboretum.

TFred

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Of course the funny thing is that the Commissioner of the Revenue may spend the rest of the week scratching his/her head as to why they've gotten two or three calls in one day about who owns the Chesapeake Arboretum.
    Well, that is, until the MWAG calls start coming in.
    The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
    And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid
    Novos ordo seclorum ~ Mustaine

Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wylde007 View Post
    Well, that is, until the MWAG calls start coming in.
    Yep...and he still has to jump over the "The City owns it but we lease it" hurdle.

Thanks for helping