• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I carry to...? Chesapeake Arboretum?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Based on
http://chesapeakearboretum.com/about/history/

The Williamson family, along with the Whitehurst and Hall families, donated to the City of Chesapeake the approximately 48 acres including the farmstead that became the Chesapeake Arboretum as we know it today. The Founders’ vision and energetic efforts can only be considered EXTRAORDINARY. The property is administered by a volunteer Board of Directors, and financed primarily by funds from Friends (members) of the Chesapeake Arboretum and from various grants sources.

+++++++++++++
http://chesapeakearboretum.com/get-involved/membership/

Your support enables us to promote horticultural, arboricultural and environmental awareness and to maintain the trails, bridges, headquarters farmhouse & grounds, and tree propagation nursery. We are a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization coordinated by a volunteer Board of Director with funding from donations, grants and memberships.
my guess would be that the Arboretum is in fact owned by the City but that the Friends corporation is involved in matters such as upkeep and activities. There is a similar set-up with Maymont in Rchmond.

As I am not your attorney, I would suggest you call the City Treasurer to find out ownership of the place. It is either on the tax rolls or it's not. Be sure to specify you are looking for ownership of the ground/land.

stay safe.

ocholsteroc

Based on

my guess would be that the Arboretum is in fact owned by the City but that the Friends corporation is involved in matters such as upkeep and activities. There is a similar set-up with Maymont in Rchmond.

As I am not your attorney, I would suggest you call the City Treasurer to find out ownership of the place. It is either on the tax rolls or it's not. Be sure to specify you are looking for ownership of the ground/land.

stay safe.

What am I looking for? if its private owned or by city? if its owned by the city then Preemption applys and I am good? but if its privatly owned then..? I would have to look for signs?

TFred

I looked around on-line, it does not appear that the City of Chesapeake has the ownership information available along with the tax parcel information. The address shown on the web site is only a 3 acre parcel, the main portion of the park is across the street.

If it is city-owned then yes, preemption would apply. If it is not, then they may have the discretion to ban firearms.

TFred

wylde007

I looked around on-line, it does not appear that the City of Chesapeake has the ownership information available along with the tax parcel information.
A call to the Real Estate Assessor's office should clear it up.

Tax Parcel: 0370000003580
Address: 624 Oak Grove Road

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Even if it was privatly owned, I could OC unless other wise told no or saw a sign? but if they said leave I must, it would be no different than eating at a family owned restaurant and they ask me to leave?

Correct.

And that goes for any place that is not owned by the taxpayers through a local unit of government [very rough translation of preemption]. (We are NOT going to get into publc accomodation discussions on this one, are we?)

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
We guessed at it long enough so I checked with the Commissioner of Revenue.

The City owns it!
It's covered by preemption.

TFred

We guessed at it long enough so I checked with the Commissioner of Revenue.

The City owns it!
It's covered by preemption.
Peter Nap. The man who has a phone... and knows how to use it!

:banana:

Of course the funny thing is that the Commissioner of the Revenue may spend the rest of the week scratching his/her head as to why they've gotten two or three calls in one day about who owns the Chesapeake Arboretum. :D

TFred

wylde007

Of course the funny thing is that the Commissioner of the Revenue may spend the rest of the week scratching his/her head as to why they've gotten two or three calls in one day about who owns the Chesapeake Arboretum.
Well, that is, until the MWAG calls start coming in.