Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Concealed Carry on College Campuses, survey for research project

  1. #1
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297

    Concealed Carry on College Campuses, survey for research project

    I have chosen the topic of concealed carry on college campuses for a research paper and I am required to generate my own data through primary research. I am asking that you take a few moments to answer some survey questions? There are only eight questions and your answers are anonymous. I understand that This is Opencarry.org, but I hope no one will mind.

    Thank you

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XQX37XT

  2. #2
    Regular Member sultan62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Clayton, NC
    Posts
    1,319
    Done.

    I hope you have posted more places than just here, as this will be a very biased sample.

  3. #3
    Regular Member frommycolddeadhands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Knob Noster, MO
    Posts
    451

    suggestion

    Might want to look at the wording of the question "If you learned that 1 of every 100 people were armed, how would this effect your perception of personal safety"

    Personally i would hope that more than 1 of every hundred were armed. Therefore I answered 'slightly less safe'. There was no place to explain my reason.
    God is the one driving this stagecoach, I'm just riding shotgun.

  4. #4
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    Might want to look at the wording of the question "If you learned that 1 of every 100 people were armed, how would this effect your perception of personal safety"

    Personally i would hope that more than 1 of every hundred were armed. Therefore I answered 'slightly less safe'. There was no place to explain my reason.
    "If you learned that statistically, one in every one hundred people were lawfully permitted to carry a concealed firearm, what effect would this have on your perception of personal safety?"

    These questions are formulated very carefully, there is a reason why I worded it the way I did. It has less to do with a factual statement but more to do with how people are truly unaware of how many people are carrying and how it affects their perception when presented with something that makes them think for just a moment. Truth is that statement really only applies to Clark County, but it's the perception that matters.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    I'm sorry, but I can't participate in this study, despite intimate knowledge of the subject matter. It does not address Open Carry, which is the only form carry which is a deterrent to crime. Concealed carry is hoping you can brandish the pistol in time for the criminal to reconsider his act, or to immediately terminate his life. Concealed carry is not a deterrent until a criminal gets "surprised" by a target.

    Open carry doesn't require "getting the word out." "The word" is already out.
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  6. #6
    Regular Member Nevada carrier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    The Epicenter of Freedom
    Posts
    1,297
    I totally understand and respect your point of view.

  7. #7
    Regular Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Grennsboro NC
    Posts
    5,358
    Done...

    And as the campus coordinator and newly-elected president of the ECU chapter of SCCC, I applaud your research and work to "getting the word out".

    Good luck getting things changed in NV. It's an uphill battle EVERYWHERE (with the exception of UT--why can't every other state follow their lead?!?), but we WILL get things changed, eventually...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

  8. #8
    State Researcher Bill Starks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nortonville, KY, USA
    Posts
    4,291
    Quote Originally Posted by frommycolddeadhands View Post
    Might want to look at the wording of the question "If you learned that 1 of every 100 people were armed, how would this effect your perception of personal safety"

    Personally i would hope that more than 1 of every hundred were armed. Therefore I answered 'slightly less safe'. There was no place to explain my reason.

    Here in Washington State we have just about 250,000 folks with a Concealed License which equals about 1 in 25.

    If you need a few more sites to post for data...
    www.seattleguns.net
    www.northwestfirearms.com
    www.spokaneguntrader.com
    www.washingtonguntrader.com
    Last edited by Bill Starks; 10-30-2010 at 02:08 AM.

  9. #9
    Regular Member OldCurlyWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    912
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    "If you learned that statistically, one in every one hundred people were lawfully permitted to carry a concealed firearm, what effect would this have on your perception of personal safety?"

    These questions are formulated very carefully, there is a reason why I worded it the way I did. It has less to do with a factual statement but more to do with how people are truly unaware of how many people are carrying and how it affects their perception when presented with something that makes them think for just a moment. Truth is that statement really only applies to Clark County, but it's the perception that matters.
    I did not answer that question as none of the answers were correct for me.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

    Politicians should serve two terms, one in office and one in prison.(borrowed from RioKid)

  10. #10
    Regular Member TXgirl4OC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    DFW Texas
    Posts
    19
    Done, great topic for your research paper, would love to hear the results.

    I CC every day, and I am very supportive of any legislation that would allow me to lawfully carry on campus... by the time I leave class in the evenings it's dark outside and a long walk out to the remote overflow parking lot!
    "I'm your huckleberry..."
    “I would like to see every woman know how to handle [firearms] as naturally as they know how to handle babies.” - Annie Oakley
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same."
    Ronald Reagan

  11. #11
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Urban Skeet City, Alabama
    Posts
    897
    Quote Originally Posted by OldCurlyWolf View Post
    I did not answer that question as none of the answers were correct for me.
    This is ultimately why I declined to complete the survey. My answers are different. Can we perhaps suggest a few different answers for the study that you can have reviewed and resubmit the study?
    It takes a village to raise an idiot.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Wolcott, , USA
    Posts
    24
    I couldn't get the second question page to work properly. Everytime I clicked the nest "ranking" it would cancel the previous one. Other than that, I love survey monkey

    Andy
    shhhhh, librarian packing"

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Kent, Washington, USA
    Posts
    2,048
    Done.

    And carry on college campus here in Washington is legal, just against the rules of the colleges. (WACs) - which, in my opinion, is against the state and U.S. Constitution.

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran since9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Colorado, USA
    Posts
    6,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Nevada carrier View Post
    I have chosen the topic of concealed carry on college campuses for a research paper and I am required to generate my own data through primary research. I am asking that you take a few moments to answer some survey questions? There are only eight questions and your answers are anonymous. I understand that This is Opencarry.org, but I hope no one will mind.

    Thank you

    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/XQX37XT
    Wow! As a statistician, I have to say: VERY GOOD POLL.

    - since9
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •